OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As I said about the first one, I didn't like it when it was Dances With Wolves, and I didn't like that when it was Ferngully. Fantastic ride at Disney, though.
the ride s waaaay better than the movies.
I spent all but 2 seconds of it consoling my screaming sobbing children on either side of me. The lady and one of the kids loved it though. The other 2 hated me for it, and had trouble trusting me with ride descriptions the rest of the week.

As for movies, i finished bullet train today. Fantastic start to finish. Highly recommend.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The Banshees of Inisherin…

The cinematography, directing, acting, shooting locations, dialogue all top notch.

A bit…disappointed..with the ending? Maybe not disappointed…confounded? I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t…that. I think it was too open-ended for me?

I love Martin McDonagh’s movies and plays (and his brother’s films, as well) so I may give it another spin.
Agreed. Loved the dialogue. Far from dull. ;)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I love the original Bad News Bears.

As noted elsewhere, saw this on a double bill with Paper Moon.

Nine times.

Loved me some Tatum O'Neal. She went on to marry super brat John McEnroe.

You know the kid who smirks "Does he go to the bathroom for you too, Tanner?"

That's Walter Matthau's son.

✌️😎

Reactions: Blowfish

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love the original Bad News Bears.

This was such a classic. And really while it's clearly fictional and take a lot of liberties, it is actually mostly believable for the 1970s. I was that age, and a lot of the things that are most shocking now (language, drunk coach) etc were absolutely part of playing Little league in the 70s. Even the father slapping the kid on the pitchers mound. I never saw it happen, but absolutely believable it could have

That was the problem with the 2005 version, even though it was toned down 90%, nothing in that movie felt even a tiny bit real

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I have to say, the actor that plays Rooster.... holy cow, he must really be related to Anthony Edwards.

Love the F14 appearance
I’ve got a little over 1,000hrs in the back seat of Tomcats and graduated from the Weapons School. I absolutely cannot watch the original TopGun without cringing. I also loathe Tom Cruise (although he WAS freaking great in Tropic Thunder) and loathed all of his bullshit hype about how he “flew” all the scenes. Big f***ing deal…

My sons convinced me to watch the second one with them over the holidays. It’s basically the same movie, with the same stupid bar scene and the same stupid football/volleyball game, but I gotta admit, seeing the old F14 made me really nostalgic.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I’ve got a little over 1,000hrs in the back seat of Tomcats and graduated from the Weapons School. I absolutely cannot watch the original TopGun without cringing. I also loathe Tom Cruise (although he WAS freaking great in Tropic Thunder) and loathed all of his bullshit hype about how he “flew” all the scenes. Big f***ing deal…

My sons convinced me to watch the second one with them over the holidays. It’s basically the same movie, with the same stupid bar scene and the same stupid football/volleyball game, but I gotta admit, seeing the old F14 made me really nostalgic.
The original Top Gun was the first movie my family ever rented from a video store lol. So it holds nostalgia for me no matter how cringy it may be.

The F14 reminds me of one of my favorite places:

28918_kak4bczgqu3u4qaamst3b1ti3luwdjfz_f5bdbd85-5056-a36a-0bc954745bf02df7.jpg

Oh... and thank you for your service!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The original Top Gun was the first movie my family ever rented from a video store lol. So it holds nostalgia for me no matter how cringy it may be.

The F14 reminds me of one of my favorite places:

View attachment 635576

Oh... and thank you for your service!
One of my favorite places as well. I actually flew that airplane on a stick out in front of the museum. We ferried it to Pensacola after we decommissioned VF-111 back in ‘95. Don’t know why they decided to repaint it in 41’s colors. Some admiral in charge must have been in the Black Aces sometime previously….

Reactions: sooshii

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This was such a classic. And really while it's clearly fictional and take a lot of liberties, it is actually mostly believable for the 1970s. I was that age, and a lot of the things that are most shocking now (language, drunk coach) etc were absolutely part of playing Little league in the 70s. Even the father slapping the kid on the pitchers mound. I never saw it happen, but absolutely believable it could have

That was the problem with the 2005 version, even though it was toned down 90%, nothing in that movie felt even a tiny bit real

And you know who played the father slapping the kid?

Vic Morrow,

Death[edit]​

Main article: Twilight Zone accident
In 1982, Morrow was cast in a feature role in Twilight Zone: The Movie, in a segment directed by John Landis. Morrow was playing the role of Bill Connor, a racist who is taken back in time and placed in various situations where he would be a persecuted victim: as a Jewish man in Vichy France, a black man about to be lynched by the Ku Klux Klan, and a Vietnamese man about to be killed by U.S. soldiers.

In the early morning hours of July 23, 1982, Morrow and two child actors, seven-year-old Myca Dinh Le and six-year-old Renee Shin-Yi Chen, were filming on location in California, in an area that was known as Indian Dunes, near Santa Clarita. They were performing in a scene for the Vietnam sequence, in which their characters attempt to escape out of a deserted Vietnamese village from a pursuing U.S. Army helicopter.[2] The helicopter was hovering at approximately 24 feet (7.3 m) above them when the heat from special effect pyrotechnic explosions reportedly delaminated the rotor blades[16] and caused the helicopter to plummet and crash on top of them, killing all three instantly. Morrow and Le were decapitated and mutilated by the helicopter rotor blades, while Chen was crushed by a helicopter skid.[17]

Landis and four other defendants, including the helicopter pilot Dorsey Wingo, were ultimately acquitted of involuntary manslaughter after a nearly nine-month trial. The parents of Le and Chen sued and settled out of court for an undisclosed amount. Both of Morrow's daughters also sued and settled for an undisclosed amount.[17][18]

Morrow is interred in Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Culver City, California.[19]

Filmography​

Reactions: Dreghorn2

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Need a good new series...Watching "Your Honor" very Breaking Badish but need something better. Any suggestions?
Look in the TV thread?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
  • Haha

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And you know who played the father slapping the kid?

Vic Morrow,

Death[edit]​

Main article: Twilight Zone accident
In 1982, Morrow was cast in a feature role in Twilight Zone: The Movie, in a segment directed by John Landis. Morrow was playing the role of Bill Connor, a racist who is taken back in time and placed in various situations where he would be a persecuted victim: as a Jewish man in Vichy France, a black man about to be lynched by the Ku Klux Klan, and a Vietnamese man about to be killed by U.S. soldiers.

In the early morning hours of July 23, 1982, Morrow and two child actors, seven-year-old Myca Dinh Le and six-year-old Renee Shin-Yi Chen, were filming on location in California, in an area that was known as Indian Dunes, near Santa Clarita. They were performing in a scene for the Vietnam sequence, in which their characters attempt to escape out of a deserted Vietnamese village from a pursuing U.S. Army helicopter.[2] The helicopter was hovering at approximately 24 feet (7.3 m) above them when the heat from special effect pyrotechnic explosions reportedly delaminated the rotor blades[16] and caused the helicopter to plummet and crash on top of them, killing all three instantly. Morrow and Le were decapitated and mutilated by the helicopter rotor blades, while Chen was crushed by a helicopter skid.[17]

Landis and four other defendants, including the helicopter pilot Dorsey Wingo, were ultimately acquitted of involuntary manslaughter after a nearly nine-month trial. The parents of Le and Chen sued and settled out of court for an undisclosed amount. Both of Morrow's daughters also sued and settled for an undisclosed amount.[17][18]

Morrow is interred in Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Culver City, California.[19]

Filmography​

He was also the father of actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, of Fast Times at Ridgemont High fame...

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This is an older documentary (2014) that my brother just made me aware of. Watched it last night and it was awesome. Pitchers and Catchers report in 2 weeks, so if you wanna get in the mood, check this out:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Knock at the Cabin....solid B/B+.

I'm an M Night fan, so that didn't hurt.
The plot story seems painfully obvious but eventually I’ll watch it.

I did watch Old recently, which he had a hand in. Did not care for it.

Prisoners was fantastic. One of the best I’ve seen in a while.

The Menu was ok. Fell apart a bit towards the end, but i was entertained.

The Lobster…I’m still bothered by how…carelessly bad it was? I can’t make sense of it. The dialogue was atrocious. Acting was lazy as hell. The general idea of it was promising though, and it held my attention the full run time. Still just fell flat. I was annoyed by the time it ended

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad