OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The plot story seems painfully obvious but eventually I’ll watch it.

I did watch Old recently, which he had a hand in. Did not care for it.

Prisoners was fantastic. One of the best I’ve seen in a while.

The Menu was ok. Fell apart a bit towards the end, but i was entertained.

The Lobster…I’m still bothered by how…carelessly bad it was? I can’t make sense of it. The dialogue was atrocious. Acting was lazy as hell. The general idea of it was promising though, and it held my attention the full run time. Still just fell flat. I was annoyed by the time it ended

Very much looking forward to The Menu. Very much up my alley.

Also looking forward to Cate Blanchett in Tar and Noah Bambauch's adaption of Don DeLeo's White Noise,

There's also Cocaine Bear and further down the line, a bio pick of physicist Robert Oppenheimer

"the father of the atom bomb" who (in)famously quoted the Bhagavad Gita when discussing his role in its creation, "Now I am become Death, destroyer of worlds."

In between, maybe I'll watch Real Genius

or a favorite black comedy

for the thousandth time (both released in '85).

:tvhappy:

Reactions: TD Charlie

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
watched You People a few nights ago, won`t win any Academy Awards but not sure it was made to, easy to watch, some good laughs

Reactions: RoccoF14

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I watched that J-Lo Shotgun Wedding movie. It was alright, not great, not bad.

The whole time though I was like "I don't know who that actor is, he kind of looks like Lenny Kravitz but it can't be him", then at the closing credits finding out that that was actually Lenny Kravitz in a major supporting role was shocking.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't know if any of you out there still buy physical media, but I just found this great place for cult flicks called Vinegar Syndrome. They just released a couple of Matthew (my favourite) Bright's movies that I thought would never see the light of day again. They took real care when shipping them and packed each edition with a bunch of new features.

Officially part of my monthly budget. :laugh:

Can't wait to pop em in tonight after the kids (and wife) go to bed.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I watched that J-Lo Shotgun Wedding movie. It was alright, not great, not bad.

The whole time though I was like "I don't know who that actor is, he kind of looks like Lenny Kravitz but it can't be him", then at the closing credits finding out that that was actually Lenny Kravitz in a major supporting role was shocking.

Lenny's done a few films. He had a pretty big supporting role in The Hunger Games flicks.

• Wow
Reactions: McGarnagle

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Anybody ever seen Billy in the Lowlands? Just saw it for the first time recently. This thing makes Eddie Coyle seem glossy. Billy in the Lowlands is a gritty, unromantic tour through late 70's greater/Boston as Billy tries to get out of Boston and connect with his father. Low budget, pretty cheaply made, but not bad overall. Feels like it hits a certain tone and holds it. Isn't lazy. It's like everybody in this movie was your uncle's brother's wife's boss from Lynn. Some true Boston grime in this thing and gives a pretty amazing window at a long gone version of Boston. If that's your thing, definitely worth a look.

Only on Vimeo as far as I can tell.

Billy in the Lowlands

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Titanic was terrible.
No it wasn’t. It’s friggin long but it is very good minus the damn ending.

Top notch and criminally underrated performances by Bill Paxton, Victor Garber, Frances Fisher and Kathy Bates.

My uncle’s brother actually worked on the set but was tragically killed after being hit by a car off set. James Cameron still honored him in the credits.

• Wow
Reactions: caz16 and Fenway

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Marvel’s on a pretty bad losing streak.

They may have jumped the shark.
I ignored the bad Rotten Tomatoes score and went into Antman 3 with optimism, but alas, it sucks.

I finally forced myself to sit through Wakanda Forever on Friday night, and my god that was a dull joyless slogfest of a film

I watched Antman on Saturday morning. Absolutely not a great movie, but in the end it was mostly sweet and fun, and the opening and closing scenes had more joy in them than 2-3 of the Phase 4 movies. I enjoyed it. Not gonna recommend for all, but I laughed a lot

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Marvel’s on a pretty bad losing streak.

They may have jumped the shark.
I ignored the bad Rotten Tomatoes score and went into Antman 3 with optimism, but alas, it sucks.

I enjoyed the journey up until EndGame. Enjoyed a couple marvel things since then but overall I'm pretty Marvel'd out. The majority of things I tried watching from this new phase I couldn't really get into.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I enjoyed the journey up until EndGame. Enjoyed a couple marvel things since then but overall I'm pretty Marvel'd out. The majority of things I tried watching from this new phase I couldn't really get into.
I grew up with Marvel Comics in the ’80s and ’90s. Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the X-Men were staples of my youth. I still have almost all of my old comics to this day.

But they completely sucked the life out the whole movie universe the same way they sucked the life out of their comic universe: too many releases too close together, too hard to keep track of the storylines, and way too many crossovers. Just because I’m a Spider-Man fan, doesn’t mean I want to read a year’s worth of Avengers comics for a crossover, or see four other movies.

Just got to be too much.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I went yesterday to Ant Man. I enjoyed it.
But then again I’m easily entertained.
Not sure i understand how/why Ant-man get's to be the Marvel blockbuster movie when Marvel's best were always Xmen, Wolverine, Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Fantastic 4, Dr Strange, Iron Man, Spiderman, Ghost Rider...

Ant-man just seems like a waste ... bring back the xmen!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Not sure i understand how/why Ant-man get's to be the Marvel blockbuster movie when Marvel's best were always Xmen, Wolverine, Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Fantastic 4, Dr Strange, Iron Man, Spiderman, Ghost Rider...

I would much rather three hulk movies but somehow he just gets rolled in as a sidekick with Thor/Dr Strange/Captain America.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Xmen will return at some point soon.

Hulk (and I guess Namor) are in a different position, as Disney owns the right to make the film, but Universal owns the rights to distribute the film. So that makes it very complicated and difficult to do a standalone movie, as of course it would be exceptional expensive to make and advertise, and then Universal gets likely 10% or more of the box office.

Add to that the 2 hulk films that were made in the pre MCU days were at best modestly successful for box office (and maybe not), and really fan reaction. I am sure if Disney/Marvel thought they could make a spiderman size Hulk movie they would deal with the effort, but if it only grosses 300-350 million they likely lose money on the deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad