OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I've seen a few of his movies although I've never really been a fan.

This is by far my favorite of his movies.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia?
Maybe.

By all counts he's a strong presence.

Unfortunately, he's also quite nuts.

1672171682186.png
1672171749534.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
He has a charismatic magnetism around him. As much as I want to hate him for being a creepy person and a cult member, every time he's on screen I'm just charmed by him.

The heart wants what the heart wants. :D

I would only add that Minority Report (based on a story by Philip K. Dick and directed, brilliantly, by Steven Spielberg) was quite prescient.

The film was released in 2002.

It foreshadows not only "the swipe" of an iPad -- which did not exist at the time -- as well as invasive, inescapable, soul killing advertisments (from a disembodied, retinal scanning voice exhorting "Hello again, Mr. Wong, welcome back to The Gap" to a talking cereal box). Of course, its main target is the danger of a survelliance state, a primary subject of The Dark Knight as well. Edward Snowden was just around the corner.

Check it again,

The other creepy Tom is a typical A list actor. He makes ten bad or middling movies in order to make one or two good ones. I have never cared for him much, but he is good in the right thing.

Is Tom Hanks creepy?

Let's leave the conspiracy foolishness to one side.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The heart wants what the heart wants. :D

I would only add that Minority Report (based on a story by Philip K. Dick and directed, brilliantly, by Steven Spielberg) was quite prescient.

The film was released in 2002.

It foreshadows not only "the swipe" of an iPad -- which did not exist at the time -- as well as insidious, intrusive, soul killing advertisments (from a disembodied, retinal scanning voice exhorting "Hello again, Mr. Wong, welcome back to The Gap" to a talking cereal box). Of course, its main target is the danger of a survelliance state, a primary subject of The Dark Knight as well. Edward Snowden was just around the corner.

Check it again,

Is Tom Hanks creepy?

Let's leave the conspiracy foolishness to one side.

Tom Brady.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The bar scene was painful to watch and dragged on for what seemed like forever. A large portion of the supporting cast should never be allowed to pollute a screen again.
Yeah, most of the pilots he was teaching were very boring. And I didn't care for the whole "romance" angle.

I watched for the nostalgia, and Ice, and the planes. :D

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
The Banshees of Inisherin…

The cinematography, directing, acting, shooting locations, dialogue all top notch.

A bit…disappointed..with the ending? Maybe not disappointed…confounded? I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t…that. I think it was too open-ended for me?

I love Martin McDonagh’s movies and plays (and his brother’s films, as well) so I may give it another spin.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Went yesterday and saw Avatar Way of Water.

Visually in that super 3D they filmed in was stunning.
The movie was enjoyable but to me at least 1/2 hour too long.
It was 3 1/2 hours.
That's the epics disease. All of the Christopher Nolan dark Knight flicks are at least an hour and a half too long. Same thing with Watchmen, the movie. Why, I don't know. Also, way too gratuitously violent.

:cool:

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah, most of the pilots he was teaching were very boring. And I didn't care for the whole "romance" angle.

I watched for the nostalgia, and Ice, and the planes. :D
Definitely not the same caliber of supporting pilots, but since Top Gun was maybe THE defining movie of my teens, and a big reason I ended up a naval flight officer, I couldn't not see it. I really didn't have all that high of hopes, but was pleasantly surprised.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Glass Onion was entertaining. Definitely leaned into comedy harder than Knives Out did, and I love a classic murder mystery - it's a genre that has been lacking and turning Daniel Craig's character into a Poirot or Holmes type who can do sequels is a right call.

However, there was a lot of it I didn't like which is hard to explain without spoiling it. Just seems like Rian Johnson self-indulging in shallow social commentary that's been done to death and done better.
Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars.

Reactions: McGarnagle

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

It was 3 1/2 hours.
Watched it Christmas Eve. I agree. I enjoyed it. I was ready for what I was going to see, if that makes sense.
I used to be a Tom Cruise guy. Liked his movies and would watch them every time they came out. Now……meh, can’t watch a guy who’s a Scientologist. It kind of hits at his stature in my eyes. I’m all set with him.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

It was 3 1/2 hours.
Amazing special effects. Forgot at times while watching this was a greenscreen flic. Unfortunately, a script and plot of a 10 year old and that is likely being kind. Had flashbacks to Star Trek IV and a bunch of other 80's movie themes all mixed in (and not elegantly...). Lost a lot of a nuance of N°1 around nature and being part of it in the Indian vibe and some just totally clueless tangents that made no sense whatsoever. Hopefully due to editing as I can't imagine spending $100's of millions on that and not being able to get decent writers. Kids liked it though so there's that. ;-)

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Amazing special effects. Forgot at times while watching this was a greenscreen flic. Unfortunately, a script and plot of a 10 year old and that is likely being kind. Had flashbacks to Star Trek IV and a bunch of other 80's movie themes all mixed in (and not elegantly...). Lost a lot of a nuance of N°1 around nature and being part of it in the Indian vibe and some just totally clueless tangents that made no sense whatsoever. Hopefully due to editing as I can't imagine spending $100's of millions on that and not being able to get decent writers. Kids liked it though so there's that. ;-)

As I said about the first one, I didn't like it when it was Dances With Wolves, and I didn't like that when it was Ferngully. Fantastic ride at Disney, though.

Reactions: Gee Wally

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
He has a charismatic magnetism around him. As much as I want to hate him for being a creepy person and a cult member, every time he's on screen I'm just charmed by him.
Same.

Plus much respect for the meticulous manner in which he approaches incredible stunts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad