OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Barbarian 7/10
Beautiful Boy 7/10
All Quiet on the Western Front 5/10
Beautiful boy was touch to watch but a great movie on a personal level, until getting clean and sober, I either didn`t want to know, was completely delusional or a combo of the two understanding how profound of an impact my addiction had on those who loved me, great movie, Steve Carrell has really impressed me with his serious roles

Sadly attending a funeral of a brother who lost his battle with addiction earlier in the week. Been to too many funerals for members of the fellowship I belong to, there is a distinct difference being at a funeral for someone who had passed away but sober compared to one who passed on in active addiction, so sad, still, IMO, one of the most stigmatized diseases out there but that`s just me.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
'Tis the Season,

:xcheers:

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Anyone have comfort movies? Movies they kinda just go to. Figured I have 3 so far.

Oceans 11
Oceans 13
Bourne Trilogy

Ok 6

I love that his dad has a tall can everywhere. I like the colorful clown one with balloons. Not a BIG farrell fan but like talladega, ice skating one and the other guys. Thats only ones that come to mind.
For me...

Scarface
The Shinning
Caddyshack
Deer Hunter
Midnight Express
Rocky
American Beauty
American Graffiti
Jaws
Shawshank R
Marathon Man
Blade Runner
Falling Down
Traffic
Good Bad Ugly
Deliverance
Something About Mary
Magnolia
etc...lol

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Lyle Lyle Crocodile was actually pretty cute

I tried to watch Spirited because I thought Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds would make for a great comedy movie, but I lasted like 20 minutes and turned it off because it was just a shitty musical

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How do we feel about Dan Aykroyd’s “Nothing But Trouble”?
Like most Dan Aykroyd movies, it's bad, but I at least respect that he writes movies for his own interests and not just as a cash grab. Dude is actually into the supernatural and ghost hunting and shit, which led to Ghostbusters, and he's really into old R&B and blues music which led to the Blues Brothers. He has more flops than good movies but his good ones are stone cold classics.

The best thing about Nothing But Trouble was Digital Underground & Tupac's song from the soundtrack - I believe it was Tupac's major breakthrough in the mainstream

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Not for everyone, but some of you psychopaths will love it

7/10

not sure that`s a flick that would even go into production in this day and age

I watch some older movies and find myself somewhat cringing
100 percent. Makes you uncomfortable. The worst things are the Don Rickles/Dean Martin roasts on YouTube

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
For me...

Scarface
The Shinning
Caddyshack
Deer Hunter
Midnight Express
Rocky
American Beauty
American Graffiti
Jaws
Shawshank R
Marathon Man
Blade Runner
Falling Down
Traffic
Good Bad Ugly
Deliverance
Something About Mary
Magnolia
etc...lol

Having Deliverance on a list of "comfort movies" is like having ghost peppers on a list of comfort foods.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Not for everyone, but some of you psychopaths will love it

7/10

100 percent. Makes you uncomfortable. The worst things are the Don Rickles/Dean Martin roasts on YouTube
so true, those roasts are crazy

Not the same thing but along the lines of how things have changed.

One of my colleagues is a recent grad, not sure how we got on the subject of smoking darts but we did, I told her that my first year of HS, only in the portable classrooms, on the corners of the desk of the back two rows sat an aluminum ashtray and YES, students were permitted to smoke.

Now, I never had a class with one who smoked but I know having walked by the portables often during other classes, some of the seniors were back there smoking.

Crazy, and our HS had two cafeterias, the main one on the main floor and one in what was called the "Dungeon" in the basement of the school, you could smoke in the dungeon as well:)

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Starting my 2022 movie dump in december.

She Said (Maria Schrader) - I feel this movie wanted to be important. Badly. Like the story on which it is based was important. I feel a movie about investigative journalists should provoke a sense of outrage. Like Spotlight did, or All the President's Men. Two movies who's shadows loom large over She Said. Perhaps She Said loses some of its oomph in the present due to the super saturation of news surrounding Me Too. Perhaps, for now, that sense of outrage is dulled and maybe She Said will be effective in a few years when we can be outraged over all if this anew. Perhaps its that those other two movies attacked the very foundations of entire institutions, institutions in which the public has shown its utmost trust. The kind of trust that Hollyweird and its sleazy gossip mill never had in the first place.She Said fails to ever manufacture any kind of suspense or emotional weight on its own, expecting merely the outrage of its story to accomplish that. It doesn't. It feels flat, despite the many scenes of reporters scurrying across news floors meant to convey otherwise.

TIll (2022, Chinonye Chukwu)- Why does everything look so clean in movies today? Someone's gotta tell me why the streets of 1950's Chicago or the backwoods of Mississippi look like everything's made of fondit. All fresh paint, and scrubbed concrete. Its hard to properly convey a sense of time when everything looks scrubbed for stage. Danielle Deadwyler gives a dedicated central performance as Mamie Till, but the Till's aesthetic artificiality never gives her a chance to truly levitate and I feel they let her down some. The Emmett Till murder stands out as one of the most shocking and vile cases of the Civil Rights era. The real Mamie Till Bradley made sure we would never forget what race hatred and violence did to her son. I don't think this long awaited retelling of her son's murder is headed for a similar fate. This is a movie that badly needed some grit and grime kicked on it, not one second of it feels lived in by real people. A plastic rendition, if you will. Actors on a stage reciting lines for a play.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
For me...

Scarface
The Shinning

Caddyshack
Deer Hunter
Midnight Express

Rocky
American Beauty
American Graffiti
Jaws
Shawshank R
Marathon Man
Blade Runner
Falling Down

Traffic
Good Bad Ugly
Deliverance
Something About Mary
Magnolia
etc...lol

And I thought I was weird. (I am.) Some of those do not particularly cry comfort to me.

But that's me.

Saw American Graffitii (1973) in theater at the time.

What a cast!

Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, Paul Le Mot, Richard Dreyfuss, Charles Martin Smith, Mackenzie Phillips, Bo Hopkins, Candy Clark, Joe Spano

and... Harrison Ford/Suzanne Somers. (Wolfman Jack in a cool cameo, too.)

Directed by: George Lucas.

1670637964545.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad