OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Jayne Mansfield's Car was a good one.

Love Billy Bob Thornton and Duvall. There's also Robert Patrick, Kevin Bacon.

There's something about the Southern movies placed back in 60s, 70s, big family things...there's something about the landscape, you can almost smell the air. Pictures.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Having Deliverance on a list of "comfort movies" is like having ghost peppers on a list of comfort foods.
I selected the least offensive picture I could find.

"Squeal like a pig,"

1670874049760.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
“Echo 3”: Liking this series so far, 5 episodes into it. Series finale slated for Jan. 13. Ten episodes in all.

Also enjoyed The Bear. It’s quite chaotic and turbulent but the madness it puts you through, is worth watching it unfold. The series has 8 episodes. Its title gives no clue about how it’s based on a restaurant kitchen but you get to find out where the title comes from at Episode 7.

The White Lotus Season 2 just finished last week and it once again delivered. I prefer Season 1, especially how at Episode 6, they show something I never thought I’d see in a series — had me splitting a gut. The resort manager in Season 1 steals the show.

Finally, I was hoping to see something involving Ron Livingston that I might actually like, since his epic movie, Office Space.

And then I happened on this clip.

Has anyone heard of or watched Loudermilk? I know, awful title but that bit was lifted from a show that has Livingston starring as a recovering alcoholic and substance abuse counselor who has a bad attitude about everything. The show has 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, released in 2017, 2018 and 2020. Show also features the lovable Will Sasso. A 4th season is apparently in the works: Loudermilk Season 4 - What We Know So Far

My impression after only watching the first 5 episodes -- this is what Ron Livingston does best. It's a branching out of sorts from his character in Office Space -- he totally owns the art of not giving a shit.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
“Echo 3”: Liking this series so far, 5 episodes into it. Series finale slated for Jan. 13. Ten episodes in all.

Also enjoyed The Bear. It’s quite chaotic and turbulent but the madness it puts you through, is worth watching it unfold. The series has 8 episodes. Its title gives no clue about how it’s based on a restaurant kitchen but you get to find out where the title comes from at Episode 7.

The White Lotus Season 2 just finished last week and it once again delivered. I prefer Season 1, especially how at Episode 6, they show something I never thought I’d see in a series — had me splitting a gut. The resort manager in Season 1 steals the show.

Finally, I was hoping to see something involving Ron Livingston that I might actually like, since his epic movie, Office Space.

Has anyone heard of or watched Loudermilk? I know, awful title but that bit was lifted from a show that has Livingston starring as a recovering alcoholic and substance abuse counselor who has a bad attitude about everything. The show has 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, released in 2017, 2018 and 2020. Show also features the lovable Will Sasso. A 4th season is apparently in the works: Loudermilk Season 4 - What We Know So Far

My impression after only watching the first 5 episodes -- this is what Ron Livingston does best. It's a branching out of sorts from his character in Office Space -- he totally owns the art of not giving a shit.

I've heard of it. That is a terrible name. Ick.

But the clip above is gold. I'll definitely check. Thanks for posting.

PS I watched the first episode of "The Bear," and may come back for seconds.

Reactions: Runner77

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Definitely one of my all time favorite movies. Perfectly cast, brilliantly acted, and the script is just so well done.

This was J.C. Chandor's directorial debut. He also wrote the script and went on to write & direct All Is Lost. His father was an investment banker with Merrill for thirty years. Zachary Quinto produced.

Margin Call does not feature perhaps the most depraved and fiendish element of "the 2008 financial crisis,"

"It has now been established that some firms created hedge funds intended to fail, so they could make money betting against them. These they sold to their customers knowing they were worthless." (Review, RogerEbert.com)

"You might also like,"

1671814214198.png

1671814386454.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreghorn2

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
This was J.C. Chandor's directorial debut. He also wrote the script and went on to write & direct All Is Lost. His father was an investment banker with Merrill for thirty years. Zachary Quinto produced.

Margin Call does not feature perhaps the most depraved and fiendish element of "the 2008 financial crisis,"

"It has now been established that some firms created hedge funds intended to fail, so they could make money betting against them. These they sold to their customers knowing they were worthless." (Review, RogerEbert.com)

"You might also like,"

View attachment 625830

View attachment 625833
Sorry but for me at least, All is Lost with a decrepit Robert Redford who you could clearly see never spent time on a sailboat outside of superyachts at the marina was a "try" film that failed. Tried to have "man over nature" - F, tried to do "silence is superb" - F, tried to show "dignity in fear" - F. I was hoping for so much more given the background of the story, but just a big F for me.

Reactions: RoccoF14

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Sorry but for me at least, All is Lost with a decrepit Robert Redford who you could clearly see never spent time on a sailboat outside of superyachts at the marina was a "try" film that failed. Tried to have "man over nature" - F, tried to do "silence is superb" - F, tried to show "dignity in fear" - F. I was hoping for so much more given the background of the story, but just a big F for me.

I thought it was pretty good, particularly because it's one guy, with no real dialogue.

The ending was worthy of Spielberg. And not in a good way.

Reactions: bb74

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Loved Loudermilk...Filmed in BC. White Lotus fantastic. Funny I preferred Season 2. BTW the series Succession is a must watch!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Glass Onion was entertaining. Definitely leaned into comedy harder than Knives Out did, and I love a classic murder mystery - it's a genre that has been lacking and turning Daniel Craig's character into a Poirot or Holmes type who can do sequels is a right call.

However, there was a lot of it I didn't like which is hard to explain without spoiling it. Just seems like Rian Johnson self-indulging in shallow social commentary that's been done to death and done better.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Now that it's streaming, I'm watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time.

Gahhhhhh.... the flashbacks showing Goose got me.

Maverick and Ice :cry:

I'm not even finished watching it lol

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Now that it's streaming, I'm watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time.

Gahhhhhh.... the flashbacks showing Goose got me.

Maverick and Ice :cry:

I'm not even finished watching it lol

Creepy Tom saved Hollywood.

I have to credit him, though. He's been an A List star for *forty years.* Risky Business (1982) in theater.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I have to credit him, though. He's been an A List star for *forty years.* Risky Business (1982) in theater.
I've seen a few of his movies although I've never really been a fan.

This is by far my favorite of his movies.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have to say, the actor that plays Rooster.... holy cow, he must really be related to Anthony Edwards.

Love the F14 appearance

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've seen a few of his movies although I've never really been a fan.

This is by far my favorite of his movies.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia?
not really, US Navy was all over the original in 1986.... you couldn't film the fight scenes and the legend that was Tony Scott, who also did "Days of Thunder" and the the Navy saif u only get to intentially crash them once.... Scott personally paid for the scene where the aircraft carrier launch was in the wrong direction (350K) to get the correct shot....

now "TOP Gun" IS USING the F35.....

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

He has a charismatic magnetism around him. As much as I want to hate him for being a creepy person and a cult member, every time he's on screen I'm just charmed by him.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
not really, US Navy was all over the original in 1986.... you couldn't film the fight scenes and the legend that was Tony Scott, who also did "Days of Thunder" and the the Navy saif u only get to intentially crash them once.... Scott personally paid for the scene where the aircraft carrier launch was in the wrong direction (350K) to get the correct shot....

now "TOP Gun" IS USING the F35.....

:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad