OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Saw the Peanut Butter Falcon because my wife was watching it and it was pure unexpected gold.

Reactions: RoccoF14

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The Flash was a 6/10 and an entertaining reason to crush a large popcorn for lunch/dinner.

Cool to see Keaton’s Batman again, but with every one liner, it felt like Peter Griffin in Family Guy “He said the thing!”

And now I’m ready to be done with the multiverse across all media.

Whether it’s Marvel, DC, or The Legend of Zelda, it becomes a catch all to excuse every single plot hole and inconsistency as the same stories and concepts get regurgitated again, and again, and again.

It was cool about a decade ago at the end of X-Men Days of Future Past seeing James Marsden and Famke Janssen show up at the end of the movie. Same with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in No Way Home, but I think we’ve beaten the horse to death at this point.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The Flash was a 6/10 and an entertaining reason to crush a large popcorn for lunch/dinner.

Cool to see Keaton’s Batman again, but with every one liner, it felt like Peter Griffin in Family Guy “He said the thing!”

And now I’m ready to be done with the multiverse across all media.

Whether it’s Marvel, DC, or The Legend of Zelda, it becomes a catch all to excuse every single plot hole and inconsistency as the same stories and concepts get regurgitated again, and again, and again.

It was cool about a decade ago at the end of X-Men Days of Future Past seeing James Marsden and Famke Janssen show up at the end of the movie. Same with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in No Way Home, but I think we’ve beaten the horse to death at this point.

"What else?"

"That's all I got."

Trash. All of it, from the beginning, save, imho, the Dark Knight series and Spiderman II, with a few fine bits thrown in.

Ladies and gentlemen, your pre/post pandemic Hollywood.

Go Tent Pole yourself, dopes.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Babajingo

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Seeing Dial of Destiny this afternoon and will be sure to report back.

Admittedly it's trite and cliche to complain about how Hollywood has no original ideas anymore and everything's just a cheap nostalgia ploy, because that's overdone and the complaint is about as hackneyed as all the reboots they give us. But that said, I can't comprehend that they actually made an Indiana Jones movie with an 80 year old Harrison Ford. Stunning.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
At this point, the technology exists to make an entirely CGI Indiana Jones or Star Wars, or anything else with all of the original actors set at any time period. Not sure what the ethics are, but we are at that point.

As for the movie itself, I really don’t know what to make of it. It’s definitely not as good as the original trilogy. It might be worse than Crystal Skull, but it might not be. It entertained me. It checked most of the boxes, yet ultimately rung hollow. I’m not sure what else to say.

Maybe I need to see it again to properly evaluate it.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
At this point, the technology exists to make an entirely CGI Indiana Jones or Star Wars, or anything else with all of the original actors set at any time period. Not sure what the ethics are, but we are at that point.

As for the movie itself, I really don’t know what to make of it. It’s definitely not as good as the original trilogy. It might be worse than Crystal Skull, but it might not be. It entertained me. It checked most of the boxes, yet ultimately rung hollow. I’m not sure what else to say.

I went yesterday. I enjoyed it. It struck a cord with me. How fast life goes by. How hard it is to do something when the brain says go but the body says f*** you.
How while nobody wants to say they had regrets would still love a do over with the precious little time left. As well as how quickly others devalue you strictly based on ageing .

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

We're less than a decade away from a full AI movie at this point, provided it doesn't get outlawed somehow (and it probably should).

When that Star Wars prequel (Rogue One I think) came out and had a nearly perfect CGI Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin as well as CGI Carrie Fisher in a cameo, it opened those floodgates.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
We're less than a decade away from a full AI movie at this point, provided it doesn't get outlawed somehow (and it probably should).

When that Star Wars prequel (Rogue One I think) came out and had a nearly perfect CGI Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin as well as CGI Carrie Fisher in a cameo, it opened those floodgates.
Absolutely.

Tarkin looked uncanny valley.

They nailed it with deaged Harrison Ford.
The voice is off, however.

James Earl Jones retired as Vader.
However, they used technology to do the voice for the Obi Wan series and it sounds exactly like it did in the original trilogy, and superior to how he sounded in Rogue One.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Admittedly it's trite and cliche to complain about how Hollywood has no original ideas anymore and everything's just a cheap nostalgia ploy, because that's overdone and the complaint is about as hackneyed as all the reboots they give us. But that said, I can't comprehend that they actually made an Indiana Jones movie with an 80 year old Harrison Ford. Stunning.
Sir Patrick Stewart is older I think and they are running "Picard" season four.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Absolutely.

Tarkin looked uncanny valley.

They nailed it with deaged Harrison Ford.
The voice is off, however.

James Earl Jones retired as Vader.
However, they used technology to do the voice for the Obi Wan series and it sounds exactly like it did in the original trilogy, and superior to how he sounded in Rogue One.
I'm sure the whole thing will go to the courts regarding actor likeness, CGI, AI, etc. A lot of practices in the industry were upended when Crispin Glover sued over recycled footage of him in Back to the Future Part 2

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I'm sure the whole thing will go to the courts regarding actor likeness, CGI, AI, etc. A lot of practices in the industry were upended when Crispin Glover sued over recycled footage of him in Back to the Future Part 2
Yeah I think it’ll depend on whether or not they sign over the rights to their name, likeness, voice etc. while still alive and, if they’re no longer alive, what rights do the families have when it comes to that?

They made a Rock Band game using The Beatles’ likenesses. John and George were deceased.

Spanish Castle Magic was on the original Guitar Hero soundtrack, but they had to pull the vocals because Hendrix’ family did not want the cover to include an impersonation of Jimi’s voice.

It’s an ethical issue for sure.

I mean, they could make countless Indiana films set between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull at this point. Hell, they could do a prequel to Temple of Doom.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Saw silence of the lambs once again and realized its top 5 movie or all time. Incredible performances throughout especially foster and Hopkins and the famous line I'm having an old friend for dinner is still remembered today. Just a brilliant movie by a brilliant director who sadly passed away Jonathan demme. One of the best .

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Still need to see the new Spiderverse.

The wife and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary yesterday and the date fizzled after burgers and mini golf when she couldn’t stay awake for a 6:30pm showing.

Dang baby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad