Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
And by that definition an idiot leading idiots is leadership. I mean, I guess you're right. But that's nothing to be proud of.
What does pride have to do with anything?

The Leafs have played that way for years while watching others cheat, be dirty etc. and get rewarded. In fact the last time they had significant success was when they were one of the dirtier teams in the league.

Pride? Wasn’t that the handshake line?

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Examples from "few years ago" really mean nothing here.

The fact, only fact I suppose, is Rielly went after a player after play had stopped. There's no arguing that, I hope? If he didn't cross-check Greig in the head while being annoyed, I'd be saying 2 games max.
Chara was 2020, it's not like we're talking about the 1970s. Chara cross checked Gallagher after play had stopped. Benn on Stone was 2023.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Also, as evidence of long term health from head injuries increases, and the public pressure to prevent headahots increases, it makes sense that the DoPS would start to increase penalties for headshots.

However, if that is indeed what they are doing, it would be nice to get some official statement or something so we know this is their intent from here on out.

That'd be amazing if that were the intent. Not holding my breath though.

If you're not going to look to past decisions, then what do you base Rielly's suspension on? Personal feelings? Dart at a dartboard? The DoPS is a shit show because it's either incompetent or corrupt. Isn't that clear? They either don't know what they're doing, so don't deserve their jobs, or they know exactly what they're doing, and don't deserve their jobs.

We are in agreement that they don't deserve their jobs. And yes, I said it was a subjective evaluation, so I am indeed basing it on personal feelings. Considering the DoPS's record, basing it on personal feelings seems to be just as logical if not more logical than basing it on DoPS's previous decisions.

I wont disagree that he doesnt deserve what he got but might but 1 game too many. just be nice for DPoS to treat everything the same over at times it feels like they pick and choose which teams to punish more than others and Leafs arent alone on that

It's the regular season, Grieg didn't injure anyone nor did he attempt to, the play was over, the game was over, Rielly had lots of time to think about it, Rielly aimed for the head. We can nitpick about 4-5-6 games, but it's at least in the ballpark. I understand why Rielly is appealing. I don't begrudge him that. But at the same time I don't feel the sentence needs to be lightened.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
What does pride have to do with anything?

The Leafs have played that way for years while watching others cheat, be dirty etc. and get rewarded. In fact the last time they had significant success was when they were one of the dirtier teams in the league.

Pride? Wasn’t that the handshake line?

If what you want for your team is dumb leadership then by all means, applaud Rielly's actions. I don't feel that kind of "leadership" will get you anywhere good. What Dale Hunter did to Pierre Turgeon (which was much stronger "leadership", by your definition, than what Rielly did) didn't exactly turn the Caps into Cup champions.

Sometimes an overreaction is just that: an overreaction, and an embarrassment to the player and the sport.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
It's the regular season, Grieg didn't injure anyone nor did he attempt to, the play was over, the game was over, Rielly had lots of time to think about it, Rielly aimed for the head. We can nitpick about 4-5-6 games, but it's at least in the ballpark. I understand why Rielly is appealing. I don't begrudge him that. But at the same time I don't feel the sentence needs to be lightened.
Pierre-Luc Dubois needed 15 stitches to patch up the cross check he took to the face from Greig in 2021. Greig was suspended one pre-season game and one regular season game.

Reactions: Pink Mist

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Pierre-Luc Dubois needed 15 stitches to patch up the cross check he took to the face from Greig in 2021. Greig was suspended one pre-season game and one regular season game.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this. How is this related to the Rielly crosscheck?
Is your point that DoPS seems to be run by morning drunks? I thought we'd already established that fact. Greig deserved more than what he got there. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing an automatic 5 game suspension for any direct intentional crosscheck to the head. When Gallagher got 5 for elbowing days ago, Habs fan agreed the suspension was warranted and fair. Hits to the head need to go.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this. How is this related to the Rielly crosscheck?
Is your point that DoPS seems to be run by morning drunks? I thought we'd already established that fact. Greig deserved more than what he got there. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing an automatic 5 game suspension for any direct intentional crosscheck to the head. When Gallagher got 5 for elbowing days ago, Habs fan agreed the suspension was warranted and fair. Hits to the head need to go.
It’s really not a hard concept.

No whataboutism about it. To see the owners (rogers and bell) of the TML working overtime spitting out content trying to justify Reilly’s actions is sickening.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It’s really not a hard concept.

No whataboutism about it. To see the owners (rogers and bell) of the TML working overtime spitting out content trying to justify Reilly’s actions is sickening.
It's really all very easy.

Geirgs (as he is allegedly named) pulled a punk ass move slapping an empty netter. My 11y old kid knew that watching it. Not a debate.

For that, he deserved to be punched in the head, preferably repeatedly. Not really a debate either.

Morgs let loose with a stick to head, I don't think he meant to get head but whatever, he did. A stick to the head is never ok. Not a debate.

The suspension is well earned. In every interpretation of that sentence.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I would like the appeal process to actual guarantee a different number of games handed out. Whter it be more, or less - it would make appealing more tactical. Otherwsie, what's the downside of appealing at all?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Your response speaks volumes.

Here’s your reality check. Toronto doesn’t need leadership next October. They need it now and into the playoffs. Hopefully Morgan provided the wake up call. 2-0 so far. Hopefully they keep it up and peak at the right time.
Let me know when it's 10-0...2 games is hardly a sample size to pimp.

SMDH

Wow, you won 2 games. Seriously? It so galvanized your team! I mean that is just wishful thinking.

Feel free to DM me when you win a cup this yr

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't call precived disrespect detrimental to hockey. I called actual disrespect detrimental to hockey.

All disrespect is perceived. It’s literally how you interpret the actions of others. It’s an emotion response. You feel that Greig acted with out regard for Toronto’s feelings. Others don’t see it that way.

Reactions: AzHawk

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
All disrespect is perceived. It’s literally how you interpret the actions of others. It’s an emotion response. You feel that Greig acted with out regard for Toronto’s feelings. Others don’t see it that way.
Hence an opinion.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
It's really all very easy.

Geirgs (as he is allegedly named) pulled a punk ass move slapping an empty netter. My 11y old kid knew that watching it. Not a debate.

For that, he deserved to be punched in the head, preferably repeatedly. Not really a debate either.

Morgs let loose with a stick to head, I don't think he meant to get head but whatever, he did. A stick to the head is never ok. Not a debate.

The suspension is well earned. In every interpretation of that sentence.
How could scoring a show-boating empty-netter in any possible way justify getting punched in the head?
Like, that is so utterly absurd and beyond what hockey is about. It's sheer lunacy. The reaction you claim is justified is a far far bigger violation of the "code" than the act you want to see punished. As is what Rielly actually did. You are basically saying that the reaction to "breaking the code" should be for someone to break the code in an even worse manner.

It's like going "so, the guy behind me drove way too fast, that's againt the law, so I pulled out a gun and shot him". The hypocrisy and lack of logic is simply astounding.

That doesn't even deal with the issue that this "code" is little more than made up nonsense that gets used as an excuse to justify pathetic behaviour. If you want to break the rules, just claim that someone broke the code and you will find enough people who will excuse your behaviour. The code then happens to be whatever you want it to be, not something that is actually established or clearly defined. It's on one level with "boys will be boys", an excuse to ignore someone's erratic behaviour, an excuse for someone's immaturity and inability to deal with adversity. Players are supposed to not take stupid penalties, but throwing tantrums is a okay and somehow being considered tough. It is the exact opposite of being tough, and it sure as heck isn't leadership.

The code then turns into a weird amalgation of imaginary violations, most of which are completely irrelevant and harmless, while glorifying actual acts of violence and attempts to injure that no one would ever think of justifying elsewhere.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How could scoring a show-boating empty-netter in any possible way justify getting punched in the head?
Like, that is so utterly absurd and beyond what hockey is about. It's sheer lunacy. The reaction you claim is justified is a far far bigger violation of the "code" than the act you want to see punished. As is what Rielly actually did. You are basically saying that the reaction to "breaking the code" should be for someone to break the code in an even worse manner.

It's like going "so, the guy behind me drove way too fast, that's againt the law, so I pulled out a gun and shot him". The hypocrisy and lack of logic is simply astounding.

That doesn't even deal with the issue that this "code" is little more than made up nonsense that gets used as an excuse to justify pathetic behaviour. If you want to break the rules, just claim that someone broke the code and you will find enough people who will excuse your behaviour. The code then happens to be whatever you want it to be, not something that is actually established or clearly defined. It's on one level with "boys will be boys", an excuse to ignore someone's erratic behaviour, an excuse for someone's immaturity and inability to deal with adversity. Players are supposed to not take stupid penalties, but throwing tantrums is a okay and somehow being considered tough. It is the exact opposite of being tough, and it sure as heck isn't leadership.

The code then turns into a weird amalgation of imaginary violations, most of which are completely irrelevant and harmless, while glorifying actual acts of violence and attempts to injure that no one would ever think of justifying elsewhere.
Welcome to pro sports I guess? It is kind of a thing. Like it is just a fact that if Mo had of gone in gloves off, popped Greig in the face a couple times, maybe break a nose. He might have ended up with 1 game out of it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

The "unwritten code" in hockey has been a longstanding part of the sport's culture, governing player behavior and conduct both on and off the ice. This code, which has been instilled in players from a young age, is closely associated with core values such as respect, sportsmanship, and accountability. It essentially serves as a guiding set of principles that encourages fair play and mutual respect among players, coaches, and officials, while also acting as a form of self-policing within the sport.

While the "unwritten code" undeniably promotes honor and integrity within the game, it's important to acknowledge its limitations and potential for misuse. Specifically in this instances, such as Morgan Rielly's reaction to Greig, raise questions about the appropriate application of the code and its consequences.
While the argument that taunting or showboating in sports justifies physical aggression is not acceptable, the nature of the punishment for Morgan Rielly's response warrants debate. In my opinion, a fine may be a more fitting punishment than suspension given the circumstances.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad