Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
They ought to have a mechanism to double suspensions in the case of a clear violation that results in a player/team that doesn't accept any responsibility and/or obligation to account for misconduct and instead files a sham appeal hoping to avoid justice.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG-20240216-WA0007.jpg

Reactions: mcleex

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Oh cool man, I just dont understand where exactly I disagreed and thought Rielly should have been given a pass. I have said multiple times he deserves to be suspended. but doesnt mean that Greig didnt deserve a response but hey I mean thanks for the reply pal

I didn't mean to target you personally. Just adding to what you were saying. I don't understand why people bring up the unwritten code. If someone breaks a rule of sportsmanship, the answer isn't to crosscheck them in the head. Rielly wasn't upholding any kind of code; he just lost it. If he had had his wits about him, he would have waited until the next game to send a message legally, like a true leader.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They ought to have a mechanism to double suspensions in the case of a clear violation that results in a player/team that doesn't accept any responsibility and/or obligation to account for misconduct and instead files a sham appeal hoping to avoid justice.
They ought to have a mechanism to not allow sentences like this one.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I didn't mean to target you personally. Just adding to what you were saying. I don't understand why people bring up the unwritten code. If someone breaks a rule of sportsmanship, the answer isn't to crosscheck them in the head. Rielly wasn't upholding any kind of code; he just lost it. If he had had his wits about him, he would have waited until the next game to send a message legally, like a true leader.
He shouldn't have cross checked him in the head....but there was no scenario where they were just going to wait until next year lol that is ridiculous.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
8 plus months later when he might not even be there.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
is it fair? what's the extra game for? 4 games seems fair to me.

1 game suspension

zero games

this is the one that looks worse and got 4 games not that long ago

so what is the 5th game? DPoS is all over the place on these

DoPS certainly is all over the place, but Rielly still deserves the 5 IMO. Showing incidents where DoPS got it even more wrong isn't a winning argument.

He shouldn't have cross checked him in the head....but there was no scenario where they were just going to wait until next year lol that is ridiculous.

Is it? The kid took a slap shot not a chainsaw to the captain's head.

8 plus months later when he might not even be there.

Oh no, would they have had to let a slapshot go unpunished? Oh the humanity.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
DoPS certainly is all over the place, but Rielly still deserves the 5 IMO. Showing incidents where DoPS got it even more wrong isn't a winning argument.

Every single team in the league would have responded to that if that happened to them. No questions asked. Rielly should have just dropped the gloves and we wouldn't be having days worth of conversation about this. People can try and act dumb founded by why it pisses hockey players off, but it does lol that is just the truth.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Your response speaks volumes.

Here’s your reality check. Toronto doesn’t need leadership next October. They need it now and into the playoffs. Hopefully Morgan provided the wake up call. 2-0 so far. Hopefully they keep it up and peak at the right time.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Your response speaks volumes.

Here’s your reality check. Toronto doesn’t need leadership next October. They need it now and into the playoffs. Hopefully Morgan provided the wake up call. 2-0 so far. Hopefully they keep it up and peak at the right time.

Crosschecking someone in the head isn't leadership. What a sad bunch of losers the Leafs must be to think it is.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot

What you call getting it wrong is called precedents. Benn cross-checked Stone to the head, against the ice, and got two games.

What you call "all over the place" is either incompetence or corruption. Neither have a place in the league for anyone who's a fan of the game.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Every single team in the league would have responded to that if that happened to them. No questions asked. Rielly should have just dropped the gloves and we wouldn't be having days worth of conversation about this. People can try and act dumb founded by why it pisses hockey players off, but it does lol that is just the truth.

The fact it is the truth still shows they are little more than children. But you're right. We wouldn't have been talking about it had Rielly just dropped the gloves because that would have approached what passes for leadership in the NHL. But instead he went full man-child.

Whatever makes people willingly follow is by definition leadership.

And by that definition an idiot leading idiots is leadership. I mean, I guess you're right. But that's nothing to be proud of.

Reactions: cptjeff

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

What you call getting it wrong is called precedents. Benn cross-checked Stone to the head, against the ice, and got two games.

What you call "all over the place" is either incompetence or corruption. Neither have a place in the league for anyone who's a fan of the game.

I fully agree it has no place in the game. Rielly still deserves the 5 games. Benn deserved much more than 2 games, don't you think?

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
I fully agree it has no place in the game. Rielly still deserves the 5 games. Benn deserved much more than 2 games, don't you think?
Deserve is subjective. If the DoPS keeps handing out 2 games or less, over and over for the same infraction, then that's the standard they've decided upon. A few years ago Chara fed his stick into Gallagher's teeth then openly mocked Gallagher that he was faking. Chara got a game misconduct; no fines, no suspension.

• Love
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Deserve is subjective. If the DoPS keeps handing out 2 games or less, over and over for the same infraction, then that's the standard they've decided upon. A few years ago Chara fed his stick into Gallagher's teeth then openly mocked Gallagher that he was faking. Chara got a game misconduct; no fines, no suspension.

Yes, deserve is subjective because nothing the DoPS does makes any sense. So personally I don't feel pointing to past decisions is worth the effort because it's a shitshow.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yes, deserve is subjective because nothing the DoPS does makes any sense. So personally I don't feel pointing to past decisions is worth the effort because it's a shitshow.
Also, as evidence of long term health from head injuries increases, and the public pressure to prevent headahots increases, it makes sense that the DoPS would start to increase penalties for headshots.

However, if that is indeed what they are doing, it would be nice to get some official statement or something so we know this is their intent from here on out.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

I wont disagree that he doesnt deserve what he got but might but 1 game too many. just be nice for DPoS to treat everything the same over at times it feels like they pick and choose which teams to punish more than others and Leafs arent alone on that

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Examples from "few years ago" really mean nothing here.

The fact, only fact I suppose, is Rielly went after a player after play had stopped. There's no arguing that, I hope? If he didn't cross-check Greig in the head while being annoyed, I'd be saying 2 games max.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
If you're not going to look to past decisions, then what do you base Rielly's suspension on? Personal feelings? Dart at a dartboard? The DoPS is a shit show because it's either incompetent or corrupt. Isn't that clear? They either don't know what they're doing, so don't deserve their jobs, or they know exactly what they're doing, and don't deserve their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad