Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don’t think that anyone disputes that the DoPS is terribly random. I’d argue that some stuff deserves more penalty. You’ll argue that other stuff is worse. Ok. Inconsistency with the DoPS is the only consistency that the league has.

Look, I’ll level with you.

The NHL treats the leafs in a similar way that HFboards does. Look at how many posts you guys have contributed to this discussion, over multiple threads. You guys love talking about the leafs.

How many pages did the Perron suspension get to? How many posts?

This Rielly topic probably has more posts dedicated to it than the poor guy who died on the ice this year.

Think about that and what it says about fans of the other 31 teams.

Then realize that the NHL knows that anything leafs related gets thousands of times more attention from ALL NHL fans than anything to do with any other team or their players.

If Lucic played on the leafs, how many bans and thread bans and infractions and how many tens of thousands of posts would be dedicated to it on here?

How many posts have hfboards posters dedicated to lucic beating his wife? I haven’t counted, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t reached this level of interest from the leagues fans.

Think about that

At least they don’t tackle someone for celebrating.

Off the top of my head, I can name Terrell Owens spiking the ball on the cowboys star at center field and got tackled for it

What are you even talking about?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I find it’s hilarious that you called it a detriment to hockey. The perceived disrespect followed by retribution is the actual detriment. It’s what has lead to some of the worst incidents in NHL history. Not to compare this incident to Mcsorely or Bertuzzi, what do you think preceded those incidents. Perceived disrespect and the desire for retribution.
I didn't call precived disrespect detrimental to hockey. I called actual disrespect detrimental to hockey.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I see no reason why something more serious got less games. Evans got taken out on a stretcher and still Scheifele got less games. makes no sense
Very true.............which I think has to do with being 3 years ago, and here we are, players are not getting it so bigger suspensions?
I absolutely agree, there is no consistency yet..........blame Gary, and Parros?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Very true.............which I think has to do with being 3 years ago, and here we are, players are not getting it so bigger suspensions?
I absolutely agree, there is no consistency yet..........blame Gary, and Parros?

This is so tone deaf

It’s not an escalating punishment until infractions stop, it’s the correct punishment that everyone should get, but rarely do.

Until it’s a leaf

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
this is the one that looks worse and got 4 games not that long ago

so what is the 5th game? DPoS is all over the place on these

Schiefele got 4 playoff games, Would have been more than 5 in the regular season, even though the NHL doesn't like to admit they give out shorter suspensions in the playoffs.

And like most other "examples", some important different circumstances.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is so tone deaf

It’s not an escalating punishment until infractions stop, it’s the correct punishment that everyone should get, but rarely do.

Until it’s a leaf
LOL
Is Perron a Leaf? He got 6 games...........did not seem as bad. Go figure.
5 games is fair...........if it's not Perron says it should be 7 LOL

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Schiefele got 4 playoff games, Would have been more than 5 in the regular season, even though the NHL doesn't like to admit they give out shorter suspensions in the playoffs.

That hit was pretty borderline, imo

Incidental head contact still can’t happen, but this hit wasn’t that bad.

Terrible result though

LOL
Is Perron a Leaf? He got 6 games...........did not seem as bad. Go figure.
5 games is fair...........if it's not Perron says it should be 7 LOL

How many games did edmundson get on Simmonds?

I’m sure we can find the discussions going on around that where you guys told leaf fans to ‘suck it up’ and ‘too bad, so sad’

You people can’t even be consistent on this sort of thing.

And don’t tell me every HFboards poster just changed their mind on this stuff this week. The only thing that matters to these people is that it’s a leaf player

How many posts did HFboards create over rielly saying ‘rag it’

I don’t even think provorov got this much attention for the gay pride stuff. And you guys LOVE talking about that

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Charging from one end of the rink, to lay the kid out.......the hit was not the issue, charging was.

It is charging, but it’s tough to argue that he could have done anything BUT charge.

Was he just supposed to let him score because he had to race back?

Players need to also be accountable for their own safety.

Like at the job site where your JHSC puts up a decal on the mirror that says “this is the person responsible for your safety”

Reactions: Luc Labelle

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Terrible result though

How many games did edmundson get on Simmonds?

I’m sure we can find the discussions going on around that where you guys told leaf fans to ‘suck it up’ and ‘too bad, so sad’

You people can’t even be consistent on this sort of thing.

And don’t tell me every HFboards poster just changed their mind on this stuff this week. The only thing that matters to these people is that it’s a leaf player

How many posts did HFboards create over rielly saying ‘rag it’

I don’t even think provorov got this much attention for the gay pride stuff. And you guys LOVE talking about that
Lots have changed in 3 years..............lots.
The players are not getting the message............so they up the ante, by the looks of things......ask Perron.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Lots have changed in 3 years..............lots.
The players are not getting the message............so they up the ante, by the looks of things......ask Perron.

Ya bullshit

There’s a lot of bullshit in these threads

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It is charging, but it’s tough to argue that he could have done anything BUT charge.

Was he just supposed to let him score because he had to race back?
He had zero intentions of trying to not let him score, he wanted to lay him out, and he did.........Habs swept em.............looked good on them.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Terrible result though

Agreed the Schiefele hit was close, In the end they got him on Charging for essentially hitting Evans too hard after covering the distance down ice. Once they decided on the Charging call I'd guess a large % (maybe all) of the suspension duration was due to the injury.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yes, there is, like leaf fans whining that bad things, happen to only them.

I don’t think anyone disagrees about supplemental discipline here.

I’m sure rielly wouldn’t either. What you’re not understanding is that we have seen these things happen multiple times to leaf players and sometimes it’s not even called a penalty.

And it’s NEVER been a 5 game suspension

Just treat the leaf players the same way you treat everyone else

I don’t care if you give rielly a 10 game suspension. But give everyone a 10 game suspension then

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don’t think that anyone disputes that the DoPS is terribly random. I’d argue that some stuff deserves more penalty. You’ll argue that other stuff is worse. Ok. Inconsistency with the DoPS is the only consistency that the league has.
literally the same thing. if the action is worse it obviously deserves more of a penalty

its a hockey thing it will never just go away unless they take hitting out of the league. and if that were true then Tom Wilson Should have gotten something for what he did to Buchnevich, Wilson even has a history of making poor decisions.

okay okay Ill not post that one as an example anymore. playoffs are ALOT more meaningful then Regular Season games

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t think anyone disagrees about supplemental discipline here.

I’m sure rielly wouldn’t either. What you’re not understanding is that we have seen these things happen multiple times to leaf players and sometimes it’s not even called a penalty.

And it’s NEVER been a 5 game suspension

Just treat the leaf players the same way you treat everyone else

I don’t care if you give rielly a 10 game suspension. But give everyone a 10 game suspension then
Absolutely..............consistency is the key.
But, you cannot be serious that these tough calls only go against the leafs?
Think about this before typing.........every team in the league has this stuff happen to them, which is why we ALL think the DOPS is out to lunch most times.....

Bias...............is impossible to get away from in pro sports. Bias.............is what leads us to endless arguments....

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Absolutely..............consistency is the key.
But, you cannot be serious that these tough calls only go against the leafs?
Think about this before typing.........every team in the league has this stuff happen to them, which is why we ALL think the DOPS is out to lunch most times.....

Bias...............is impossible to get away from in pro sports. Bias.............is what leads us to endless arguments....

You’re either not reading the words I’m typing or you’re purposefully changing what I said around

Show me where I said ‘tough calls only go against the leafs’

That’s something you’re either unconsciously inferring or you’re changing to try to win an argument

I didn’t say that

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You’re either not reading the words I’m typing or you’re purposefully changing what I said around

Show me where I said ‘tough calls only go against the leafs’

That’s something you’re either unconsciously inferring or you’re changing to try to win an argument

I didn’t say that

"Just treat the leaf players the same way you treat everyone else" is rather close.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
"Just treat the leaf players the same way you treat everyone else" is rather close.

Even if I squint I can’t to ‘The leafs are the only team who gets tough calls’ from that :laugh::laugh:

What those words mean, when put together they way they are and in context of the conversation (which I also go on to further explain) is if you give rielly 5 games, then give EVERYONE 5 games.

Not some people, not one other person, EVERYBODY

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is so tone deaf

Until it’s a leaf
Here is your................................Until it's a Leaf comment.

5 for Reilly was fair, with today's games, and current punishments.....except for Perron, he got 6 it's easy to see that every team can have an issue.

Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad