Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
I used to cross-check anyone who dunked the ball in basketball (these were your typical city park pick up games), and when they'd ask why I would get out a pen and paper and then freeze in place, and after a while someone would go "OH! unwritten code!" and then we'd keep playing.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I used to cross-check anyone who dunked the ball in basketball (these were your typical city park pick up games), and when they'd ask why I would get out a pen and paper and then freeze in place, and after a while someone would go "OH! unwritten code!" and then we'd keep playing.
Then everyone clapped and your dad got the whole team milkshakes.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
I could use you on my beer league team lost a guy with a broken foot from blocking a shot.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
How could scoring a show-boating empty-netter in any possible way justify getting punched in the head?
[/QUOTE]

Because it does. My friend, because it does. It’s not new. Spiking a ball at the 50 yard line starts a fight. Flipping a bat on a homer starts a fight. Putting a ball off the back board for a dunk down the stretch in a game that’s done starts a fight. They are all the same thing. Disrespecting the other team.

You know this to be true and are arguing on principle, and it’s wrong.

Like, that is so utterly absurd and beyond what hockey is about. It's sheer lunacy. The reaction you claim is justified is a far far bigger violation of the "code" than the act you want to see punished. As is what Rielly actually did. You are basically saying that the reaction to "breaking the code" should be for someone to break the code in an even worse manner.
[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Reilly should never, no one should ever, get the stick up in the head. Poor move. Deserves suspension, got suspension, proper.

Deserved reaction, punk move. Reilly should have got up on him, grabbed him to toss gloves and fight.

I repeat the stick was bad. Told my son to never do that.

It's like going "so, the guy behind me drove way too fast, that's againt the law, so I pulled out a gun and shot him". The hypocrisy and lack of logic is simply astounding.
[/QUOTE]

I mean that’s not close. Your example is incredibly extreme, one cannot expect to get shot for driving fast, that’s ridiculous. One can expect to get nailed for punking a team in sports.

And again, the head shot with the stick was too much.

That doesn't even deal with the issue that this "code" is little more than made up nonsense that gets used as an excuse to justify pathetic behaviour. If you want to break the rules, just claim that someone broke the code and you will find enough people who will excuse your behaviour. The code then happens to be whatever you want it to be, not something that is actually established or clearly defined. It's on one level with "boys will be boys", an excuse to ignore someone's erratic behaviour, an excuse for someone's immaturity and inability to deal with adversity. Players are supposed to not take stupid penalties, but throwing tantrums is a okay and somehow being considered tough. It is the exact opposite of being tough, and it sure as heck isn't leadership.

The code then turns into a weird amalgation of imaginary violations, most of which are completely irrelevant and harmless, while glorifying actual acts of violence and attempts to injure that no one would ever think of justifying elsewhere.

Bud this guy didn’t just play his first game of hockey. 100% he understands why he got it.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
20240210_225929.jpg

[ALT] Ottawa Senators forward Ridly Greig (jersey number: 71) winding a clapper into an empty cage. Current score clock is Toronto 3 Ottawa 4 with 6.3 seconds left in the third period.

Last edited:

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Rielly approaches
View attachment 821656

Rielly's stick hits Greig's shoulder
View attachment 821657

Rielly's stick rises, his left hand releases
View attachment 821658

Rielly's left hand clears stick
View attachment 821659

One hand gloved punch
View attachment 821660

Kesselring cross checks Crozier's head into the ice, fined $2,408, no suspension.
View attachment 821666
I don't see what you're trying to get at here. I mean, you have an argument but where's the photographic evidence?

• Haha
Reactions: LivingRentFree

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Looks like the good guys are coming out on top of all this.

Ottawa gets embarrassed by Anaheim and then loses to Chicago while Matthews gets b2b hat tricks.

Again, thank you Greig for giving this team something to play and build around!

All the sens fans that thought this meant the leafs season was doomed are punching air right now.

Hope you guys enjoyed the highlight of your season over those couple days. Happy the leafs were able to give you some laughs and positives in such another embarrassing, waste of a season! You guys will get em next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Radko Gudas delivered a vicious cross-check on McMann well after a goal was scored in Toronto when the game was 7-1 at the time. Funny no one is calling for a suspension :sarcasm:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Stupid move by Rielly, but Greig crossed a line first. Hopefully the appeal will see a reduction by a game or two.

Reactions: dirtydanglez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad