Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I wonder what his appeal will be.
"When I attacked him after the play was dead, I wasn't trying to crosscheck him in the head, I was just trying to give him a hug and congratulate him on scoring a goal"
Reportedly if nothing else it was to understand why similar plays received little to no punishment. So I imagine Rielly and Leafs representatives showed examples of those plays.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
What are those similar plays?

I honestly don't know what they are, would be interested in seeing them
They’ve been posted in this thread over the course of the last couple weeks but Edmundson cross-checking Simmonds in the face (no punishment) Zegras cross-checking an opponent in the face (penalty only) and Greig himself cross checking an opponent in the face (1 regular season game) come to mind

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Well, Torres
NHL reduces Torres’ suspension and its own credibility
Carcillo
Willson

Watson

All have had suspensions reduced by Bettman

There are more too

Certainly! Here are a few notable examples of NHL suspensions that were reduced on appeal:
  1. Patrick Kaleta (2013): Patrick Kaleta, then playing for the Buffalo Sabres, was initially suspended for 10 games for an illegal hit to the head of Jack Johnson of the Columbus Blue Jackets. The suspension was later reduced to 5 games after an appeal process.
  2. Shawn Thornton (2013): Shawn Thornton, then playing for the Boston Bruins, was suspended for 15 games for attacking and injuring Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Thornton appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 12 games after a hearing.
  3. Austin Watson (2018): Austin Watson, then playing for the Nashville Predators, was suspended for 27 games for domestic violence-related charges. The NHL Players' Association appealed the suspension, and it was later reduced to 18 games after an arbitrator ruled that the initial suspension was too severe.
  4. Duncan Keith (2016): Duncan Keith, a defense for the Chicago Blackhawks, was suspended for 6 games for high-sticking Charlie Coyle of the Minnesota Wild. Keith appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 5 games after a hearing with the NHL Commissioner.
  5. Brad Marchand (2018): Brad Marchand, a forward for the Boston Bruins, was suspended for 5 games for elbowing Marcus Johansson of the New Jersey Devils. Marchand appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 4 games after a hearing with the NHL Commissioner.

1. Zac Rinaldo (2015): Zac Rinaldo, then playing for the Philadelphia Flyers, was suspended for 8 games for an illegal hit to the head of Kris Letang of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Rinaldo appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 5 games after a hearing with the NHL Commissioner.
  2. Dennis Wideman (2016): Dennis Wideman, a defenseman for the Calgary Flames, was suspended for 20 games for cross-checking linesman Don Henderson. Wideman appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 10 games after an independent arbitrator reviewed the case.
  3. Nate Schmidt (2018): Nate Schmidt, then playing for the Vegas Golden Knights, was suspended for 20 games for violating the NHL's Performance Enhancing Substances Program. Schmidt appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 18 games after an arbitrator ruled that the initial suspension was too severe.
  4. Tom Wilson (2018): Tom Wilson, a forward for the Washington Capitals, was suspended for 20 games for an illegal check to the head of Oskar Sundqvist of the St. Louis Blues during a preseason game. Wilson appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 14 games after a hearing with an independent arbitrator.
  5. Mark Giordano (2013): Mark Giordano, a defenseman for the Calgary Flames, was suspended for 2 games for kneeing Mikael Granlund of the Minnesota Wild. Giordano appealed the suspension, and it was reduced to 1 game after a hearing with the NHL Commissioner Some of these were reduced by an independent arbitrator like Watson and SchmidtI just used google.

Wow Keith initially got 6 games just for a high stick? That is harsh

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
They’ve been posted in this thread over the course of the last couple weeks but Edmundson cross-checking Simmonds in the face (no punishment) Zegras cross-checking an opponent in the face (penalty only) and Greig himself cross checking an opponent in the face (1 regular season game) come to mind

If Gallagher received 5, Rielly deserves at least 5 too

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you are looking for previous examples which is more similar than Perron’s and why?

??? One where a guy from the side….. it rides up the shoulder and the cross checker drops his hand off the stick?

Not one where a guy tries to take a guys head off who is just standing there

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder what his appeal will be.
"When I attacked him after the play was dead, I wasn't trying to crosscheck him in the head, I was just trying to give him a hug and congratulate him on scoring a goal"
Nah, it will likely be "why wasn't it a fine? That is what the play deserved" He'd right too.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Why is he even appealing it? That was a blindside headshot for a player scoring a goal. This should be more than 5 games.

Him appealing it just seems like a waste of time.

This just about sums up the inner workings of the horde of Leafs haters.

blind side
/ˈblīn(d) ˌsīd/
noun
noun: blind side; noun: blindside
  1. a direction in which a person has a poor view, typically of approaching danger.
    "a minivan nearly clipped him on his blind side"
    • Rugby
      the side opposite the one toward which a person is looking.
      "they came at me from my blind side"
verb
North American
verb: blindside; 3rd person present: blindsides; past tense: blindsided; past participle: blindsided; gerund or present participle: blindsiding; verb: blind side; 3rd person present: blind sides; gerund or present participle: blind siding; past tense: blind sided; past participle: blind sided
  1. hit or attack (someone) on the blind side.
    "Jenkins blindsided Adams, knocking him to the sidewalk"
    • catch (someone) unprepared; attack from an unexpected position.
      "protection against being technologically blindsided"

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This just about sums up the inner workings of the horde of Leafs haters.

blind side
/ˈblīn(d) ˌsīd/
noun
noun: blind side; noun: blindside
  1. a direction in which a person has a poor view, typically of approaching danger.
    "a minivan nearly clipped him on his blind side"
    • Rugby
      the side opposite the one toward which a person is looking.
      "they came at me from my blind side"
verb
North American
verb: blindside; 3rd person present: blindsides; past tense: blindsided; past participle: blindsided; gerund or present participle: blindsiding; verb: blind side; 3rd person present: blind sides; gerund or present participle: blind siding; past tense: blind sided; past participle: blind sided
  1. hit or attack (someone) on the blind side.
    "Jenkins blindsided Adams, knocking him to the sidewalk"
    • catch (someone) unprepared; attack from an unexpected position.
      "protection against being technologically blindsided"

I’m no “Leaf” hater. I’m just calling it how it is. Where do you see me shitposting on the leafs?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I’m no “Leaf” hater. I’m just calling it how it is. Where do you see me shitposting on the leafs?
Your statement of a blind-side hit was factually wrong.

The Ottawa player was looking at Rielly for more than sufficient time before contact that he had to be expecting the hit.

Thus eliminating any possible blind-side hit.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nah, it will likely be "why wasn't it a fine? That is what the play deserved" He'd right too.
Ah yes cross checking someone intentionally at that, in the head, after the play is dead... Because they scored a goal. It definitely deserves nothing more than a fine:huh:

Reactions: cptjeff

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Ah yes cross checking someone intentionally at that, in the head, after the play is dead... Because they scored a goal. It definitely deserves nothing more than a fine:huh:
That is quite and embellished flip flop.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
1000017038.png

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Once again a big thank you to Greig for that slapshot goal. Lit the fire and the Leafs are 4-0 since the suspension :laugh:
There was definitely a bunch of people crossing their fingers for a Leaf collapse. Hopefully we run the table 5-0. The following 8 games are the tell for the season. Vegas twice, Boston twice, NYR and Colorado.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I’ve probably missed something but has the ruling some back yet? Given it’s been 4 games already I’m assuming the appeal was declined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad