Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Your statement of a blind-side hit was factually wrong.

The Ottawa player was looking at Rielly for more than sufficient time before contact that he had to be expecting the hit.

Thus eliminating any possible blind-side hit.
By definition of positioning it's a blindside hit from behind him. I highly doubt the Ottawa player had any idea that he was about to get crosschecked in the head for scoring a goal. To be frank I'm not sure why we're even debating the severity of it. Blindside or not by I guess what some leafs fans decide is a "blindside" hit is worth having a conversation over.

Let's try this again. He's getting violently and unecessarily crosschecked to the head into the glass from an angle that is at his rear 3/4 view which happens to be from behind his normal peripheral vision. For scoring a goal. I don't think this honestly makes it sound better, but if you prefer this description it's more accurate.

So again, with the new description, and no personal vendetta towards the Leafs or their passionate fans(since apparently I also have to type this out for those plushy soft fans that exist in Toronto)... I have no idea why he's appealing it. That's about as violent of an attempt to hit someone in the head I've seen in the game of hockey in recent years in a non-hockey play.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
By definition of positioning it's a blindside hit from behind him. I highly doubt the Ottawa player had any idea that he was about to get crosschecked in the head for scoring a goal. To be frank I'm not sure why we're even debating the severity of it. Blindside or not by I guess what some leafs fans decide is a "blindside" hit is worth having a conversation over.

Let's try this again. He's getting violently and unecessarily crosschecked to the head into the glass from an angle that is at his rear 3/4 view which happens to be from behind his normal peripheral vision. For scoring a goal. I don't think this honestly makes it sound better, but if you prefer this description it's more accurate.

So again, with the new description, and no personal vendetta towards the Leafs or their passionate fans(since apparently I also have to type this out for those plushy soft fans that exist in Toronto)... I have no idea why he's appealing it. That's about as violent of an attempt to hit someone in the head I've seen in the game of hockey in recent years in a non-hockey play.
He is appealing it because he can and doesn't have anything to lose. He also I would assume doesn't agree with the amount of games.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This just about sums up the inner workings of the horde of Leafs haters.

blind side
/ˈblīn(d) ˌsīd/
noun
noun: blind side; noun: blindside
  1. a direction in which a person has a poor view, typically of approaching danger.
    "a minivan nearly clipped him on his blind side"
    • Rugby
      the side opposite the one toward which a person is looking.
      "they came at me from my blind side"
verb
North American
verb: blindside; 3rd person present: blindsides; past tense: blindsided; past participle: blindsided; gerund or present participle: blindsiding; verb: blind side; 3rd person present: blind sides; gerund or present participle: blind siding; past tense: blind sided; past participle: blind sided
  1. hit or attack (someone) on the blind side.
    "Jenkins blindsided Adams, knocking him to the sidewalk"
    • catch (someone) unprepared; attack from an unexpected position.
      "protection against being technologically blindsided"

I also think you need to re-read the definition that you also boldened. You're proving against your own point.

A direction in which a person has a poor view... you know... like behind them lol

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I also think you need to re-read the definition that you also boldened. You're proving against your own point.

A direction in which a person has a poor view... you know... like behind them lol
Except, you know.

The fact that the video evidence shows him coming from the side.

Unless the Ottawa player can twist his neck 180 degrees like an owl.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Leafs need Rielly back. They're just not the same team without him.

And is, Johnny T back ? ......it's hard to tell.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Gallagher is a character player associated to a character franchise who accepted his culpability, acted responsibly and took his punishment like a man without a sham appeal.

Ah yes, a player exercising their right to appeal. Trying to present their case to the commissioner who has every right to refuse.

Classic scumbag move.

If I were Gary, I would just refuse it. And also fire Parros. And also enact officiating reform. But most likely I would have retired years ago.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Why can’t fans be impartial for a second. Would you be defending this if for whatever reason Marner or Nylander or Matthews got attacked in a similar fashion after scoring? Hell no. These kinds of incidents need to be punished harshly, not more lightly. If Rielly was offended by the clapper, fine, but why go so high with your stick?
From what I have seen the majority of Leaf fans are fine with a suspension and agree headshots need supplementary discipline. It is league inconsistency that drives people batty. Like it or lump it the league tends to penalize more for optics than actual player safety. We literally just watched one of the worst offenders deliver a 100% elbow/forearm to the face of another player and crickets. Nothing that rode up off another body part. Nothing that wasn't completely avoidable.

Did anyone actually believe or say that? Reilly is not Matthews.

There were several going on about "what if Rielly costs them the playoffs", which of course we know is the hope more than anything.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
So I assume the NHL is doing the thing where they let the suspension completely play out before ruling on the appeal. You'd think the NHLPA would have an issue with this but I guess so long as the player gets the money back eventually they don't care if they actually missed the games. Seems like bullshit to me though.

Reactions: MXD

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
From what I have seen the majority of Leaf fans are fine with a suspension and agree headshots need supplementary discipline. It is league inconsistency that drives people batty. Like it or lump it the league tends to penalize more for optics than actual player safety. We literally just watched one of the worst offenders deliver a 100% elbow/forearm to the face of another player and crickets. Nothing that rode up off another body part. Nothing that wasn't completely avoidable.
The issue is that people which complain about the lack of consistency point out plays which are very different and whine about the different result.

I do not think that MR would had gotten 5 games if the crosscheck would had occured during a play, the fact that he attacked an unsuspecting player after scoring added to his suspension. So no, this was not similar to the usual crosscheck to the face.

Reactions: AzHawk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad