Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is plain false.
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Most who support Rielly felt the response was appropriate but the cross check was not.

I think that’s what the poster is saying. They have seen NHLers say a retaliation is warranted but hasn’t seen anyone say a cross check to the head is the right approach. They are right, some conveniently ignore it in an attempt to conflate a response with a cross check to the head, as a way of saying Greig got what he deserved. A crosscheck to the head.

Reactions: Petrus

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I think that’s what the poster is saying. They have seen NHLers say a retaliation is warranted but hasn’t seen anyone say a cross check to the head is the right approach. They are right, some conveniently ignore it in an attempt to conflate a response with a cross check to the head, as a way of saying Greig got what he deserved. A crosscheck to the head.
My apologies for misinterpreting the post.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Exactly.

I think we can all agree that the response was warranted. Id expect one from my team. The crosscheck though is what is wrong with the response, which is either ignored by the defenders, or childishly stated as warranted by others.

Reactions: Korpse and Bileur

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
5 is a bit less than i was hoping for, but can only hope this keeps those kind of shunts out of the game.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
5 is fair. Rielly had a clean record, and Greig is ok, BUT even though what Greig did was obvious showboating, it crosses the line when the cross check is to the head. A scrum maybe, but not that. It wasn't a hockey play, the play was long over, he was using his stick as a weapon. Better ways for Rielly or another Leaf to make their point.

Reactions: LiseL

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe learn your hockey history and look up Charas hit in Pacioretty

What point are you trying to make other than assuming (falsely) that I don't know know about that incident? You're all over the map.

I remember watching that game and I even remember that the score was 4-0 montreal. I remember the Habs had the bruins number and I remember Chara being pissed off about pacioretty scoring in ot a couple weeks earlier where he got nudged.

Let's see what continent you choose to visit on your next response.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
remember when Taveres got knocked out in the play offs with a knee to the head?> totally accidental and the Canadien tried to avoid him, but Taveres fell in to the path, remember how out for blood Leaf fans were? crying for suspensions and good old Foglino fought just to fight and got injured? Leaf fans are hypocrites.
Remember when Leafs players were crosschecked in the face in the playoffs and there wasn't even a minor penalty called? That Habs series alone had multiple plays much worse than this. Nobody thought the Perry knee was intentional. People were pissed, sure, but you're just making shit up at this point.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I wish, the NHL had consistency. If this is getting 5 I sure as hope similar plays get 5.

Either way, he deserves a suspension. But I just wish there was consistency especially since some players get less with similar plays.
Perron got 6, Gallagher got 5, Rielly gets 5, all for headshots. It's refreshingly consistent recently.

Now the argument of wanting much more than 5 games for something that could injure another human being potentially for the rest of their lives? I see that too, but consistency is the first step and here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Alfredson slapshot the puck at Niedermayors leg at the end of a game during the Stanley Cup Finals. It only resulted in pushing and shoving. It's insane that people are more offended of a hard empty net shot than something like this

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Embarrassing low penalty it should be 10-20 games it was a f***ing assault.But i guess Toronto needs him to make the playoffs.i think Ridly saved Rielly from a longer penalty not staying lying down on the ice after the hit and he could easily layed down a couple of minutes after with that force.

Last edited:

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
5 is fair. Rielly had a clean record, and Greig is ok, BUT even though what Greig did was obvious showboating, it crosses the line when the cross check is to the head. A scrum maybe, but not that. It wasn't a hockey play, the play was long over, he was using his stick as a weapon. Better ways for Rielly or another Leaf to make their point.
If Rielly had any gumption he would have tried to fight Greig. It's a common issue with the Leafs. They're a soft team, have been for a while, and they rarely respond to provocation. When they finally do respond they go completely overboard, leading to suspensions like the ones Matthews, Spezza and now Rielly have received.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Dale hunter got 21 games for a similar incident.

morgan should have gotten 15 games.

I think there are some differences, and the biggest one was that hunter was one of the dirtiest guys to play the game, and habitually crossed the line.

That play by hunter gave the league a perfect platform to stick it to him.

It also doesn't hurt that bettman was the new guy in town and was excited to put his stamp on the situation... I don't think a 70 year old bettman has the same vigour.

That being said, i think you're still better off throwing darts on a board than to try and make an educated guess on the what a suspension will look like in this league.

Reactions: Heldig

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
BS suspension IMO. Pietrangelo got 1 game for his swing on Draisaitl and this gets 5 games? Clownshoes DOS.
your thought process is flawed, that's the "fast food workers shouldn't make X because I only make Y" argument when the reality is both should likely earn more.

I argued very much in favor of Pietrangelo sitting for a while, they got it wrong. They got this one right-ish, I'd have argued for an extra game or three but at least it's got some substance.

this isn't the BS suspension, Pietrangelo's was.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
your thought process is flawed, that's the "fast food workers shouldn't make X because I only make Y" argument when the reality is both should likely earn more.

I argued very much in favor of Pietrangelo sitting for a while, they got it wrong. They got this one right-ish, I'd have argued for an extra game or three but at least it's got some substance.

this isn't the BS suspension, Pietrangelo's was.
The inconsistency of the league is maddening.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Alfredson slapshot the puck at Niedermayors leg at the end of a game during the Stanley Cup Finals. It only resulted in pushing and shoving. It's insane that people are more offended of a hard empty net shot than something like this
What's the point of being offended by something that happened more than 15 years ago?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Embarrassing low penalty it should be 10-20 games it was a f***ing assault.But i guess Toronto needs him to make the playoffs.i think Ridly saved Rielly from a longer penalty not staying lying down on the ice after the hit and he could easily layed down a couple of minutes after with that force.
Were you singing this tune about Perron as well?

Wouldn't want someone being super bias or anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad