Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I find it tragicomical how many people around hockey are more fine with an intent to injure against a guy who slapshotted an empty net than against another player whose reckless play causes an injury against another player.

This straight up implies that slapshotting an empty net hurts them more than an injury. Level of Emotional insecurity - immeasurable.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The ironic thing is that with Reilly out, it pulled the team together and they won a big one tonight.

Bet HF boards implodes if the Leafs win the SC and someone looks back and says thanks Greig.

Leafs seems to be living rent free in a lot of peoples heads like usual.

I'm a Canucks fan and a fan of hockey but I'm always puzzled why a large portion of fans instead of just being fans of their team have to hate other teams and make puzzling illogical comments in that frenzy but I guess for some hockey is tribal to me it's just a sport.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
5 players.... goons, barely NHL players and one goalie.

How that amounts to 70-80% of players is beyond me, but I guess you are right.

I see the problem. You don't understand what 70% to 80% meant.

We can't read minds. That number is based on the public comments.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
...and Divine has been sharing examples. You want me to demand Divine to share more examples and evidence, then why aren't you doing the same to the Sens fan (who has since left the conversation and moved on, by the way). You say I'm clutching pearls and demanding evidence, yet you're doing the same thing to me, no? Why are you not telling the Sens fan to as well? Feels like you're the one that's upset and demanding things of me.
I need to ask, do you really think the 5 "players" he posted constitutes "70-80%" of players opinions? If you actually believe that, we are all set here.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I need to ask, do you really think the 5 "players" he posted constitutes "70-80%" of players opinions? If you actually believe that, we are all set here.
No, I don't, but it's not me that said it, so I don't know why you keep trying to get me to validate what someone else said. He's at least providing real examples, though, unlikely you and the other guy who has since disappeared. And he's right in that more former/current players have defended Rielly in a sense than Greig.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

I need you to realize if not a single player said the opposite, is that not more than 70 to 80% of players?

If you want a quote from every player in the NHL, go ask them and provide them here. That number is based on public comments that we can verify.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, based on what I've seen 70-80% agreed with Rielly.

Now, you can show me all the players who don't. Right now based on evidence presented it's 100% with Rielly.

I think a lot of people liked that Rielly responded, the leafs have a long history of not responding. It’s a big leap to say that those people all agree with cross checking another player in the face.

You use Robert Thomas as an example, though he didn’t even think there was a cross check because that is an unhinged response to a slap shot into an empty net.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think a lot of people liked that Rielly responded, the leafs have a long history of not responding. It’s a big leap to say that those people all agree with cross checking another player in the face.

What percentage of players would you say agree that a response was necessary?

Reactions: Rob Brown

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I see the problem. You don't understand what 70% to 80% meant.

We can't read minds. That number is based on the public comments.
Go through the rolodex of players in your mind who would actually come out and comment on this, I feel like they are the ones who already did. The players who play to win and don't make their living off what they do for their team while losing, would not put out a tweet on this, they would be too upset about actually losing.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Go through the rolodex of players in your mind who would actually come out and comment on this, I feel like they are the ones who already did. The players who play to win and don't make their living off what they do for their team while losing, would not put out a tweet on this, they would be too upset about actually losing.

We literally have the captain of another NHL team say the response was good and that their team would have responded.

I see. You plan on providing no evidence and just critiquing the evidence presented because it doesn't match the narrative you've created in your head.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Here:

I just posted 5 former/current NHL players who agreed with Rielly publicly.

Now find some who agree with Greig (that don't play with him). The 70-80% was based on what I was seeing. I didn't see any players who thought Greig deserved no retaliation.

Heck, even Josh Norris (Sens player) said if it happened to us we wouldn't be very happy.

Okay, where are the other 700 players, at least, that you claim agreed with Rielly? Since you claim 70-80% agree with him :laugh:

You'd posted a few players. Ive seen a "few" players call the Grieg slapper wrong, BUT also said Rielly was in the wrong.

Why is it so hard to say anything wrong against your amazing HoF Leafs players??? If it was Matthews getting the stick to the face, you'd be rioting.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We literally have the captain of another NHL team say the response was good and that their team would have responded.

I see. You plan on providing no evidence and just critiquing the evidence presented because it doesn't match the narrative you've created in your head.
My narrative is, the response was whiney, and the response to the response has been ever worse. You lost, some kid had some fun. Get over it. Spend less time on figuring out the best reaction to losing and more time on not losing. It's not that hard.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Okay, where are the other 700 players, at least, that you claim agreed with Rielly? Since you claim 70-80% agree with him :laugh:

You'd posted a few players. Ive seen a "few" players call the Grieg slapper wrong, BUT also said Rielly was in the wrong.

Why is it so hard to say anything wrong against your amazing HoF Leafs players??? If it was Matthews getting the stick to the face, you'd be rioting.

I'm not getting into this, but I've seen a couple NHLers/ex-NHLers who thought the shot was ok.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
My narrative is, the response was whiney, and the response to the response has been ever worse. You lost, some kid had some fun. Get over it. Spend less time on figuring out the best reaction to losing and more time on not losing. It's not that hard.

Name a team who went a season without losing?

The Leafs have won more games than they lost.
The Senators have lost more games than they won.

Jones has lost 5 out of his last 6 games.
Samsonov has won 5 out of his last 6 games.

The Leafs decided to give Samsonov some rest and play Jones against a bad team and it cost them. It happens.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I'm not getting into this, but I've seen a couple NHLers/ex-NHLers who thought the shot was ok.

Ive seen a lot of NHLers say they have no problem with the shot. And Ive seen a lot of players say that they do have a problem.

Most have said that retaliation could be warranted, I have not seen ONE player say that the crosscheck to the head is the right approach. THIS is what the defenders of Rielly keep failing to mention, as it does not suit their replies.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

From the ones I’ve seen, They went further and said (to paraphrase) while it is ok to take slap shot they felt a response from the other team is also expected or warranted.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Name a team who went a season without losing?

The Leafs have won more games than they lost.
The Senators have lost more games than they won.

Jones has lost 5 out of his last 6 games.
Samsonov has won 5 out of his last 6 games.

The Leafs decided to give Samsonov some rest and play Jones against a bad team and it cost them. It happens.
The fact that you took that as me making fun of the Leafs for losing is wild. You see the Devils jersey in my picture right? I’m talking about the focus being on the response TO losing being bigger than actually losing.

I’m good on this, i threw in a tongue in cheek response making fun of the… well, response, and it’s gone too far for me. GG

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ive seen a lot of NHLers say they have no problem with the shot. And Ive seen a lot of players say that they do have a problem.

Most have said that retaliation could be warranted, I have not seen ONE player say that the crosscheck to the head is the right approach. THIS is what the defenders of Rielly keep failing to mention, as it does not suit their replies.
Meh, the only people defending it are delulu enough not to waste time on. If the dudes little feelings were hurt enough to take a stick to someone's head he can watch the game from the press box for a while.

I doubt it will cost them a playoff spot but they're enough of a disaster this year that it likely makes no difference if they make it.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

This is plain false.
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Most who support Rielly felt the response was appropriate but the cross check was not.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What percentage of players would you say agree that a response was necessary?

What would that accomplish. Reilly cross checked him the head, there is no action that warrants that type of response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad