Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Is there any evidence—even claims by respected media or crazy agenda driven agents like Alan Walsh—that Bettman is intentionally delaying appeal hearing dates In bad faith?

The NHLPA and NHL have both fired multiple Impartial Arbitrators. Thats how the system works. The NHL and NHLPA have to jointly agree on the new Impartial Arbitrator

The Impartial Arbitrator has no defined term, but once a year on September 1st the NHLPA and NHL each have the right to unilaterally “fire” the arbitrator. That happens most often after the arbitrator issues a ruling one party really dislikes, or a pattern they believe favors one party over the other. If the current arbitrator is removed then they repeat the same selection process for the next arbitrator.

On the Perron suspension Bettman couldn't be bothered to rule on the suspension appeal until the suspension is over.

It's nice that you're going to bat for Gary here but I'm not saying anything that outlandish. If you're going to have an appeal process there should be some expectation that it's completed before the suspension is served.

Reactions: mouser

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It taught Greig that it's easy to get under Reilly's skin?

I don’t think leafs fans realize that’s a part of his game. He is always poking and prodding. Going to be a lot easier against a divisional rival now. Probably good for a powerplay or two by just going to the net against Toronto next season.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don’t think leafs fans realize that’s a part of his game. He is always poking and prodding. Going to be a lot easier against a divisional rival now.

Rielly did it because he could.

Rielly wouldn't do it if it impacted the game. He knows it's not going to impact the Leafs and he knows he won't see Ottawa in the playoffs. I highly doubt he reacts that way in the playoffs.

The same with Matthews and Spezza. They took suspensions in the regular season that no one cares about. It's about picking your battles.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Rielly did it because he could.

Rielly wouldn't do it if it impacted the game. He knows it's not going to impact the Leafs and he knows he won't see Ottawa in the playoffs. I highly doubt he reacts that way in the playoffs.

The same with Matthews and Spezza. They took suspensions in the regular season that no one cares about it.

I love a little 4d chess.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ottawa fans think Rielly is going to just become some kind of goon now. He sent his message.

Who thinks Rielly is going to be a goon. Definitely not an opinion that is widely shared. I think he learned a lesson.

Reactions: NyQuil

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Who thinks Rielly is going to be a goon. Definitely not an opinion that is widely shared. I think he learned a lesson.

But I thought Greig learned how to get under his skin? Why wouldn't he do it more often? He's learned how to get crosshecked in the face every game!

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I think seeing Greig fight back tears people forget he’s a kid still. He won’t be pulling that again anytime soon I think.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But I thought Greig learned how to get under his skin? Why wouldn't he do it more often? He's learned how to get crosshecked in the face every game!

I think Greig is a nuisance to opponents, that’s a part of his game. I don’t think he minds paying a price every now and then. Just like having to fight Lagesson after taking a couple digs at Jones’ glove hand earlier in the year didn’t stop him from being more of a disturbance.

Brian Burke said in well when he was drafted. “If there’s a problem in the ice he is probably apart of it, if there isn’t he will cause one”.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think Greig is a nuisance to opponents, that’s a part of his game. I don’t think he minds paying a price every now and then. Just like having to fight Lagesson after taking a couple digs at Jones’ glove hand earlier in the year didn’t stop him from being more of a disturbance.

Sure, but I think he also realizes when he crosses the line. He sounded like he was going to cry tonight. He said he tried to avoid social media.

I'm sure part of it is the crosscheck but also the players around the league (and his teammates) who said if he tried that on us we'd respond also. It's a rare and sad situation where a player gets crosschecked in the face and players around the league agree with the guy who crosschecked him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Sure, but I think he also realizes when he crosses the line. He sounded like he was going to cry tonight. He said he tried to avoid social media.

I'm sure part of it is the crosscheck but also the players around the league (and his teammates) who said if he tried that on us we'd respond also. It's a rare and sad situation where a guy gets crosschecked in the face and players around the league agree with the guy who crosschecked you.
How many guys agreed with the crosschecking? I'll admit, the pace at which these threads have been going, I haven't been following closely. But if you had to dumb down all the players that have come out with their opinion on it to 10, what would the number be? Or percentage of players who said they agreed with him getting crosschecked in the face. Either way, thanks.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
195K to a player making 10M this season is $1950 to someone making $100K.

It's a lot to you though, sure.

That's also $500 for someone making minimum wage.

Toronto loses a good player for 5 games and Rielly loses a lot of money. Not sure why you're trying to point Greig as the loser in this or why you're lying about him almost crying. There's a video of him being cheered by other people like ex Sens Chris Kelly. Then there's the Sens embarassing Rielly on Twitter with the goal Greig scored today.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How many guys agreed with the crosschecking? I'll admit, the pace at which these threads have been going, I haven't been following closely. But if you had to dumb down all the players that have come out with their opinion on it to 10, what would the number be? Or percentage of players who said they agreed with him getting crosschecked in the face. Either way, thanks.

Probably like 70-80%.

It's hard to say though how many agreed specifically with the crosscheck versus agreed with a reaction being needed. I don't think Rielly intended to crosscheck him in the face either.

Even Brayden Schenn, St. Louis' captain came out today and said if he did that to us we'd react similarly.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Probably like 70-80%.

It's hard to say though how many agreed specifically with the crosscheck versus agreed with a reaction being needed. I don't think Rielly intended to crosscheck him in the face either.

Even Brayden Schenn, St. Louis' captain came out today and said if he did that to us we'd react similarly.
Crazy, I didn't realize that many players came out and gave a statement on it, thanks.

I would think these guys would focus on just how to not lose hockey games instead of how they would react after they lost, but I don't play, so who knows.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Probably like 70-80%.

He said he'd cross check him, which would be a normal response. Not hit him high in the face

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Probably like 70-80%.

Reilly was too coward to drop the gloves and fight like a man, he choose to cross check another player right in the head. And I can tell you the vast majority of other teams loved what Greig did because no one like the Leafs.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Crazy, I didn't realize that many players came out and gave a statement on it, thanks.

I would think these guys would focus on just how to not lose hockey games instead of how they would react after they lost, but I don't play, so who knows.
Don't beleive that BS, he's pulling out numbers out of his ass!!! Lol

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Reilly was too coward to drop the gloves and fight like a man, he choose to cross check another player right in the head. And I can tell you the vast majority of other teams loved what Greig did because no one like the Leafs.
Ok if it's the vast majority then show your work and share all the statements/quotes of other players or teams (non-Senators) that came out and said they loved what Greig did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad