Montreal embarrassed by Tampa and themselves (Lose 6-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Well its no surprise the mental fatigue Price must be under to have to be a difference maker every night, I don't think we have given him a two goal lead yet this playoff, we even lost a game vs. Ottawa in which he was unbelievable and still ended up losing 1-0.

Probably just frustration stemming from the fact he's singlehandedly floated this dumpster fire system and coach to the playoffs, and getting next to nothing in terms of offensive support. He is counted on every single night to not just be good, but extraordinary in order to even have a chance to win. This team is so pathetic without Price. Put Price on a team like St. Louis and he probably has 1 or 2 cups by now. Price doesn't have an amazing night last night and the habs lose 6-2 in a playoff game. ****ing lame team.

With the strong year he had his year he was probably expecting so much more than this bunk playoff performance.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I tend to side with LF's theory; that it is more the players deviating from Therrien's system rather than him having any influence, especially as we saw it creep back in when we were up 3-0 against Ottawa. Another notably issue is adjustments, or the lack thereof. We get destroyed by any team who can adjust to what we're doing because Therrien doesn't know how to counter.
Man, I don't know. We seem to be all over the map. Played aggressively to start the Ottawa series, then it was back to a passive system. Then we start vs Tampa aggressively.... seriously, I just don't know what's going on. Is it MT giving the orders or does the team just do it?

All I can say is that I've been happy to see this aggressive play coming back. We haven't seen it in forever. It's a God damned shame that we don't play this way all the time. Because if we did, MT wouldn't take the heat he does.

Anyways, regardless of how we do in these playoffs, I want him gone ASAP.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
bottom line, enough excuses you get paid, get it done

this team has had the same problem for years, not enough top 6 talent...

so we sit

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Did EGG do well?

For what it's worth, the completely dominated the Bolts at even strength. All three were each above +15 in terms of Corsi +/-, way higher than the other 3 lines.

I can't help but wonder how well Patch would do on a line with Eller though. It seems like no matter who's on his wings, Eller helps his line dominate possession. You'd have to think that the one bonafide goal scorer would be a true threat every time he's on the ice with Eller.

I'd go with:

Patch-Eller-Weise
Parenteau-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
DLR-Plek-Flynn
Prust-Mitchell-DSP

Assuming Desharnais' flu keeps him the **** away from the roster.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Speical teams made a huge difference. Our PP couldn't generate chances while Tampa converted on many of theirs. It's sad when our PK generates more offensive chances than our PP.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again, I never said that single penalty cost us the game, but it was certainly a factor. It directly lead to a goal against. Prust is lucky they killed off his penalties. Could you imagine the blame that would have been put on him if Tampa scored 2 goals on that 4 minute penalty to go ahead 2-1?
It was an extremely minimal factor. Anybody that argues otherwise just avoids the bigger issues. I mean I understand why a coach would do that, much easier to blame the indiscipline rather than discuss why you just can't score or the putrid PP.
But as alleged knowledgeable fans, you shouldn't get frustrated over such a minor event. You want to argue they were bad penalties. Fine. That's debatable. I don't think they were bad penalties. I think they were routine plays that aren't called 99% of the time. You said to imagine if they had scored on Prust's penalties. If that had happened, there's no way they would have called that penalty on PK. None. This shows how incredibly bad and inconsistent the officiating is in the NHL.
So it's highly debatable if those were stupid penalties or just routine plays that referees just decided to call.
But even if you want to call them the stupidest penalties of all time, it's still just 1-1 at the end of it. At the end of it, we weren't losing the game after those penalties.
So really, they're not that important to mention. It's 1-1 after the first, we had 2 PPs to start the second, but for some reason you think people should really be discussing the bad penalties??? Why not discuss what happened for the majority of the game instead of such a small amount of time? Doesn't make any sense to me.
If TB had scored 3 goals on those penalties, then okay, but that's not the case at all.
And that was not protecting the goalie. Subban had position on Callahan from the get go until the end when the whistle blew. Textbook defence - Callahan didn't come within 5 feet of Price due to Subban's great box out, and then, after the whistle blows and the play is dead...down comes the lumber for absolutely no reason. Our penalty killers, must have been exhausted by this point having just killed off another selfish 4 minute penalty by Prust.
Callahan wasn't rushing the front so he can come say hi to PK. He rushed the front so he can get in Price's face or at the very least in PK's, as he's been attempting to do since the start of the series. And again, after the whistle or not, you are very well aware that these type of events happen in every game and the majority of the time they're not penalized.
If there's no penalty called there people applaud PK for shoving Callahan down. He has a penalty so he's a selfish idiot who took a stupid penalty.
It's very similar to how people complained that we need a guy that won't send a fax when one of our guys gets hit suspiciously dirty. Doesn't matter who it is, people want a guy that will set the tone. So in comes White who drops the gloves and puts a beatdown on Fleischmann after he hits Gorges from behind. But hey, he gets a penalty so people call him an idiot and Therrien tells him to change his game. We chased him out.

I have zero issues with what PK did. I rather see that than to see him give those little encouraging slaps to opponents.
Yeah, Therrien sucks, I get it. I'm not defending him. But when you are playing a team that has had our number all season, you know the margin for error is slim. Why give them 6 consecutive minutes of powerplay time to end the first period? It was a blunder plain and simple.
Those 6 minutes of PP were very questionable to begin with.
But again, even if you want to say they were well deserved, it's still just 1-1!!!!
So what happened after?? Oh right, we get two PP in the first five minutes of the 2nd, but as it's been the case for the past 2 years, we can't produce crap on them.
And after? We didn't have an answer for their PP. 50% on the PK, why were we not able to adjust???
We did not lose the game because we gave 6 min of PP in the first period to TB. That's not why we lost. We lost because our top 6 has produced less points than Corey Perry. We lost because Tyler Johnson has more goals than our entire top 6. We lost because Torrey freaking Mitchell leads our forwards in points. We lost because the god damn Montreal Impact averaged more goals during the Concacaf then us. We lost because we score as much as what the Sabres have all year.
We lost because our PK went for 50% and no adjustments were made.

That's why we lost and that's what you should be discussing. Not two ''stupid'' penalties that would usually not even be called in a PO game.

Last edited:

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Speical teams made a huge difference. Our PP couldn't generate chances while Tampa converted on many of theirs. It's sad when our PK generates more offensive chances than our PP.

Very true. They were 4/7 on their PP's, while we had more shots on our PK than on PP.

Nynja*

It was an extremely minimal factor. Anybody that argues otherwise just avoids the bigger issues. I mean I understand why a coach would do that, much easier to blame the indiscipline rather than discuss why you just can't score or the putrid PP.
But as alleged knowledgeable fans, you shouldn't get frustrated over such a minor event. You want to argue they were bad penalties. Fine. That's debatable. I don't think they were bad penalties. I think they were routine plays that aren't called 99% of the time. You said to imagine if they had scored on Prust's penalties. If that had happened, there's no way they would have called that penalty on PK. None. This shows how incredibly bad and inconsistent the officiating is in the NHL.
So it's highly debatable if those were stupid penalties or just routine plays that referees just decided to call.
But even if you want to call them the stupidest penalties of all time, it's still just 1-1 at the end of it. At the end of it, we weren't losing the game after those penalties.
So really, they're not that important to mention. It's 1-1 after the first, we had 2 PPs to start the second, but for some reason you think people should really be discussing the bad penalties??? Why not discuss what happened for the majority of the game instead of such a small amount of time? Doesn't make any sense to me.
If TB had scored 3 goals on those penalties, then okay, but that's not the case at all.

Callahan wasn't rushing the front so he can come say hi to PK. He rushed the front so he can get in Price's face or at the very least in PK's, as he's been attempting to do since the start of the series. And again, after the whistle or not, you are very well aware that these type of events happen in every game and the majority of the time they're not penalized.
If there's no penalty called there people applaud PK for shoving Callahan down. He has a penalty so he's a selfish idiot who took a stupid penalty.
It's very similar to how people complained that we need a guy that won't send a fax when one of our guys get dirty suspiciously. Doesn't matter who it is, people want a guy that will set the tone. So in comes White who drops the gloves and puts a beatdown on Fleischmann after he hits Gorges from behind. But hey, he gets a penalty so people call him an idiot and Therrien tells him to change his game. We chased him out.

I have zero issues with what PK did. I rather see that then to see him give those little encouraging slaps to opponents.

Those 6 minutes of PP were very questionable to begin with.
But again, even if you want to say they were well deserved, it's still just 1-1!!!!
So what happened after?? Oh right, we get two PP in the first five minutes of the 2nd, but as it's been the case for the past 2 years, we can't produce crap on them.
And after? We didn't have an answer for their PP. 50% on the PK, why were we not able to adjust???
We did not lose the game because we gave 6 min of PP in the first period to TB. That's not why we lost. We lost because our top 6 has produced less points than Corey Perry. We lost because Tyler Johnson has more goals than our entire top 6. We lost because Torrey freaking Mitchell leads our forwards in points. We lost because the god damn Montreal Impact averaged more goals during the Concacaf then us. We lost because we score as much as what the Sabres have all year.
We lost because our PK went for 50% and no adjustments were made.

That's why we lost and that's what you should be discussing. Not two ''stupid'' penalties that would usually not even be called in a PO game.

Call the police, Kriss just murdered someone

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lol come on WS, not even close to being the Bruins. Therrien didn't even whine about the refs, not yesterday, he said the team was undisciplined. It wasn't really, the penalties they took happen almost on every shift. Just so happened they were called yesterday. Next game they won't be, like in the first one.
Prust calling out the refs was 100% right. You can't see Prust do anything weirdly wrong to get that extra 2. People like to point to Prust saying he said something on the way to the bench. Ya, he did. But that wasn't what earned him the extra 2. That got Watson to go off on him. Watson gave him the 2 after Prust was already sitting down in the bench not even looking at him. So, quite odd to say the least.
If you're referencing the first game, well Therrien is right, they missed a clear offside.

So really I don't see what you're talking about here. And really, the Bruins get away with a million more crap. They throw punches in every scrum and are barely ever penalized for it.

Bruins are already at the bottom of every special teams category for how many years now. Where do you want them to be? So, of course, they realize that since it's already lopsided against them, might as well rough it up more as they won't be on the PK 20 times a game.

BUt to say that Therrien and Prust weren't whining, again, reverse the role, pretend Therrien is Julien and Prust is Lucic and you're still laughing to this day. We would have told Julien to shut the hell up as things happen, and we would have told Lucic to man up, that there's worst things in life to be called that mother ****er...

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
seriously guys its over, look at it.

4 more years of michel therrien

we have 1 player worthy of being called a 1st liner.

Subban, price and patches prime years are being wasted.

Bergevin is an idiot who believe in a good bottom 6 more than top talent.

Our prospects suck ass except maybe for McCarron and scherbak but they will suck under therrien just like Chucky.

Price will steal games and we're gonna make the playoffs for years to come with no real chances at the cup.

I wish I was exaggerating.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Our prospects suck ass except maybe for McCarron and scherbak but they will suck under therrien just like Chucky.

Price will steal games and we're gonna make the playoffs for years to come with no real chances at the cup.

I give MT another year at the helm, two at most. He doesn't finish that four year deal. We're stuck with him, but not for that long.

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada

Real talk... No pun intended

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I give MT another year at the helm, two at most. He doesn't finish that four year deal. We're stuck with him, but not for that long.

If he's around for too long playing this same style many will lose interest and fans will save their money and watch paint dry instead since it's about as entertaining as the on ice product these days. :sarcasm:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
bottom line, enough excuses you get paid, get it done

this team has had the same problem for years, not enough top 6 talent...

so we sit

Not only not enough top end talent, but not hard to play against.

The last decent top line center we had was Pierre Turgeon.... think about that for a minute.:shakehead

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

I agree, had that same sinking feeling since February.

As long as the sucky-ness of Therrien evens out the godliness of Price, we are doomed to mediocrity.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It is absolutely concerning to have a very good regular season team and a 2nd rounder playoffs one. Which means that the scouting group will have to immensely imaginative to find some gems. The only thing Chicago needed is 2 tank years of Kane and Toews, tons of picks, some great trades and they become contenders for years and years. But in Montréal...nope. You can't. And when you do...you end up with Galchy who, while I believe can be a very good player, will never be a Kane nor a Toews. We have a top scouting group and somehow....we underused them....And then you hear Bergevin talk about the draft...and the draft....and the draft and yet...what more than others are we doing about that? Of course, he added some personnel, which is great, I always said that. But aside from personnel you need.....picks. High picks. Or you then HAVE to find the hidden gems. You cannot say how the draft is the #1 thing, and yet keep giving your picks for rentals...and/or not tank to get higher picks and/or not find gems since you are not picking too high. Again this year, an incredible draft year when we will pick late 1st round...and then 3rd round.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Man, I don't know. We seem to be all over the map. Played aggressively to start the Ottawa series, then it was back to a passive system. Then we start vs Tampa aggressively.... seriously, I just don't know what's going on. Is it MT giving the orders or does the team just do it?

All I can say is that I've been happy to see this aggressive play coming back. We haven't seen it in forever. It's a God damned shame that we don't play this way all the time. Because if we did, MT wouldn't take the heat he does.

Anyways, regardless of how we do in these playoffs, I want him gone ASAP.

It honestly seems like the players don't know anymore, or that Therrien is attempting to exert more control compared to last year. Even when we play aggressive, we look so disorganized, especially from one game to the next. Another theory of mine is we are mimicking the same trend Colorado did. Teams have slowly begun to figure us out. We were lucky Hammond choked otherwise I fear Ottawa would have ousted us. Next season, I don't think we're going to be able to rely exclusively on Price.

But maybe that's a blessing, because it could get Therrien fired.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
the fact that carey price is so good and that he's gonna get us to playoffs for years it come is concerning.

The average fan might be happy with da record but im ****ing 24, our last stanley cup I was like 2 effin years old.

I want a cup seriously. I enjoy watching season games but I enjoy playoffs games a lot more and we are getting embarassed.

not fun at all

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bruins are already at the bottom of every special teams category for how many years now. Where do you want them to be? So, of course, they realize that since it's already lopsided against them, might as well rough it up more as they won't be on the PK 20 times a game.

BUt to say that Therrien and Prust weren't whining, again, reverse the role, pretend Therrien is Julien and Prust is Lucic and you're still laughing to this day. We would have told Julien to shut the hell up as things happen, and we would have told Lucic to man up, that there's worst things in life to be called that mother ****er...

The Bruins have worked on building this Big Bad Bruins image. They rough it up regardless.

If we flip roles, ya, you'll tell them to shut up and stop whining because it's the damn Bruins, you're arch rival. Still, some of us, and I include you in that group, would be able to say that Julien does have a point as it was a clear off side.

As for Lucic instead of Prust. Come on. You're comparing Prust to a guy that has a history of making some serious bonehead plays and constantly losing his temper. I would have no reason to give Lucic the benefit of the doubt. Not at all the same as Prust.
I mean, let's do another flip, what if it's Quenneville and Toews?? I don't think you view it as whining.
Therrien and Prust do not whine about refs on a regular basis. I mean, when Gallagher made the comments about how refs treated him did you think he was whining or simply stating a fact??

I applaud Prust for saying what he did. A ref should not be able to say any of those things and get away with it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Bruins have worked on building this Big Bad Bruins image. They rough it up regardless.

If we flip roles, ya, you'll tell them to shut up and stop whining because it's the damn Bruins, you're arch rival. Still, some of us, and I include you in that group, would be able to say that Julien does have a point as it was a clear off side.

As for Lucic instead of Prust. Come on. You're comparing Prust to a guy that has a history of making some serious bonehead plays and constantly losing his temper. I would have no reason to give Lucic the benefit of the doubt. Not at all the same as Prust.
I mean, let's do another flip, what if it's Quenneville and Toews?? I don't think you view it as whining.
Therrien and Prust do not whine about refs on a regular basis. I mean, when Gallagher made the comments about how refs treated him did you think he was whining or simply stating a fact??

I applaud Prust for saying what he did. A ref should not be able to say any of those things and get away with it.
He could've said the same thing behind closed doors and away from the cameras. There are procedures in place for this kind of thing. Going to the cameras doesn't help anyone, least of all Brandon Prust.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
He could've said the same thing behind closed doors and away from the cameras. There are procedures in place for this kind of thing. Going to the cameras doesn't help anyone, least of all Brandon Prust.

If you get berated by a ref on the ice, and it actually happens to be the case and not some made up thing, then it should absolutely be made public because its the only mechanism that ensures something will be done about it. The public is financing the entirety of this whole operation. The NHL needs to be accountable to the public.

HabsDieHard*

Agreed completely.

The penalty was ********, as was Watson lecturing him when he was in the box.

There's no accountability for referees in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad