Montreal embarrassed by Tampa and themselves (Lose 6-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Is it Therrien's fault that Pleky didn't finish with the whole top part of the net open? Or the puck bounced over PAP's stick? Or Mitchell and Flynn didn't bury their chances? Or Gallagher didn't shoot it high when he had the open net and time? It's hockey, it happens.

If the coach is not responsible for anything then why do we have coaches.

Our offense and PP is so pathetic that we can't blame the players only.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If the coach is not responsible for anything then why do we have coaches.

Our offense and PP is so pathetic that we can't blame the players only.

Assistant coaches run powerplays, look for wrinkles on video, etc. Head coaches evolve strategy, choose personnel off of this information - and they all work as a team I assume. So...

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So basically the players have to learn a whole new system for the playoffs because Therrien wants to play trap in the regular season? It's no wonder we've looked a mess nearly ever single playoff game this season.

Yea, not sure. We did the same thing last year after we got Vanek (at least the Corsi numbers show that we did). Worked pretty well then until we ran into another speed team like Tampa that also played possession. These guys have all played different systems, so this is not new to them.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So........we shouldn't have a head coach.....? Based on your logic that is what you are saying.

Maybe to save money, instead of a head coach we should just put Youppi behind the bench. :handclap:

Youppi almost won game one, why not? I don't think there's a rule against it.

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I can't believe no one is talking about PK Subban's stupid crosscheck penalty. When will he grow out of this BS and smarten up? The team just killed a 4 minute PP to gain some confidence, it's the last 2 minutes of the period, and its on a play after the whistle that had no impact on the game. Not only that, but he's one of our best on the PK! Utterly stupid and indefensible. You would think, being a Norris winner and nominated again this year that he would be above this kind of thing, but time and again he somehow feels the need to prove his toughness by taken dumb, selfish penalties at the most inopportune times. I love PK, but he seriously needs to grow up and stop hurting the team with this stuff.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I can't believe no one is talking about PK Subban's stupid crosscheck penalty. When will he grow out of this BS and smarten up? The team just killed a 4 minute PP to gain some confidence, it's the last 2 minutes of the period, and its on a play after the whistle that had no impact on the game. Not only that, but he's one of our best on the PK! Utterly stupid and indefensible. You would think, being a Norris winner and nominated again this year that he would be above this kind of thing, but time and again he somehow feels the need to prove his toughness by taken dumb, selfish penalties at the most inopportune times. I love PK, but he seriously needs to grow up and stop hurting the team with this stuff.

I agree it was a dumb move... dumb dumb move. PK deserves that penalty. But the problem is that the referees are so bad with being consistent. That play has happened so many damn times during the playoffs. Gallagher has gotten cross checked countless of times. If you're going to call it as it should have been called vs PK, then call it every time it happens.

7th Player

Oct 8, 2007
www.7thplayer.com
That's exactly what it is. Meanwhile, Chelsea has just won the Champion's League with a Portuguese manager who happens to be a stratospheric talent at running a soccer team.

They won the English Premier League (EPL), basically NHL's regular season. They were knocked out of the Champions league in a dramatic fashion by Paris St Germain in the round of 16. But I get your point, hire the best coach available.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yea, not sure. We did the same thing last year after we got Vanek (at least the Corsi numbers show that we did). Worked pretty well then until we ran into another speed team like Tampa that also played possession. These guys have all played different systems, so this is not new to them.

I tend to side with LF's theory; that it is more the players deviating from Therrien's system rather than him having any influence, especially as we saw it creep back in when we were up 3-0 against Ottawa. Another notably issue is adjustments, or the lack thereof. We get destroyed by any team who can adjust to what we're doing because Therrien doesn't know how to counter.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
From what I've seen, we've carried the play for most of the series. A lot of that was because Tampa had the lead, but we've shown we can outplay them when it's close, and not just in surges.

The OT game we lost in the regular season - they kicked our butts. But in game 1, we outplayed them solidly in a 2OT game except one period. We can beat them. They'll be motivated for game 3.
Really think you're wearing homer glasses, sir.

They'd have to win the next 4 out of 5 games against a team they've NEVER beaten once this season. Yeah ; good luck with that!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree it was a dumb move... dumb dumb move. PK deserves that penalty. But the problem is that the referees are so bad with being consistent. That play has happened so many damn times during the playoffs. Gallagher has gotten cross checked countless of times. If you're going to call it as it should have been called vs PK, then call it every time it happens.

Gallagher got a call against Ottawa, I was shocked. But now they won't give us anything, so we have to be very careful. We're playing a more possession style game now, so hopefully our penalties will go down. And hopefully that one game didn't wake up their powerplay for good.. Also, we aren't playing a passive style anymore, so we should not be taking penalties...

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I'm so sick of everyone whining about the refs. I never see you cry when it goes in our favor, like in Game 6 vs Ottawa. We're not losing because the refs suck, we're losing because our team is playing like utter **** and taking dumb penalties. Coaching can't adapt to a style to beat the Bolts, power play doesn't work and Price seems out of miracles.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Gallagher got a call against Ottawa, I was shocked. But now they won't give us anything, so we have to be very careful. We're playing a more possession style game now, so hopefully our penalties will go down. And hopefully that one game didn't wake up their powerplay for good.. Also, we aren't playing a passive style anymore, so we should not be taking penalties...

Most of the penalties last night (Prust and Subban in particular) had NOTHING to do with the style of game we play. They are 100% to do with stupid decisions by those players that ended up costing the team. Stupid, selfish penalties in a must-win game, when we were leading 1-0!

Honestly WTF were they thinking?! "Hey, we're up 1-0 against a great offensive team and the first period is almost over. I know! Let's give them 6 consecutive minutes of PP time in exchange for a couple meaningless cheapshots!"

Simply unacceptable and indefensible.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Most of the penalties last night (Prust and Subban in particular) had NOTHING to do with the style of game we play. They are 100% to do with stupid decisions by those players that ended up costing the team. Stupid, selfish penalties in a must-win game, when we were leading 1-0!

Honestly WTF were they thinking?! "Hey, we're up 1-0 against a great offensive team and the first period is almost over. I know! Let's give them 6 consecutive minutes of PP time in exchange for a couple meaningless cheapshots!"

Simply unacceptable and indefensible.
Yup, can't blame the coach for this. That's on the players.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yup, can't blame the coach for this. That's on the players.
Frustration builds up and players lose focus. They lost faith in the approach/system and fell into the middle-ground, no-mans-land of decision making. It's perfectly natural.

Effort isn't, and hasn't been, an issue. But concentration can only go so far 90 games into the year... if the execution isn't there (partly because we can't execute with this flaccid system) they get frustrated and distracted.

I will never blame the refs and penalties when the real culprits lurk behind the bench and in the GM suite.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Frustration builds up and players lose focus. They lost faith in the approach/system and fell into the middle-ground, no-mans-land of decision making. It's perfectly natural.

Effort isn't, and hasn't been, an issue. But concentration can only go so far 90 games into the year... if the execution isn't there (partly because we can't execute with this flaccid system) they get frustrated and distracted.

I will never blame the refs and penalties when the real culprits lurk behind the bench and in the GM suite.

Why would they lose faith in the system - game 1 was their best game of the year. They were frustrated at the OT goal and by all their own misses. They need to take a lesson from that. They've been working their tails off tho, that's obvious. I just want to see them play their best hockey now - win or lose.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Habs are a hot and cold team. We won 7 straight games until we lost game # 4 vs Ottawa. Now, we lost 4 of the last 5 games. We are du for another win straight, 4-5 games would be good. :nod:

Not to be the pessimist here but they've lost the last 7 against Tampa, I don't see the coach being genius enough to try something, what makes you think they'll win 4 in a row ?: )

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why would they lose faith in the system - game 1 was their best game of the year. They were frustrated at the OT goal and by all their own misses. They need to take a lesson from that. They've been working their tails off tho, that's obvious. I just want to see them play their best hockey now - win or lose.
Game1 had them playing a different system than they had all season. At least for the first two periods.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
So you want to blame the players? For every game this season?

For the past 30 or so games, since the trade deadline, we've been scoring at a lottery-team pace. Do you really think that's on the players? 30 games?

I want to blame the player when he takes a stupid, undisciplined penaltly that costs the team. If that happened every game this season, I'd blame them every time. Has nothing to do with the coaching. Sometimes players just do stupid things and last night, it ended up costing us. With PK, it happens much too often.

It is a completely separate issue from coaching.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Really inexcusable. No way is he captain material pulling crap like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad