Montreal embarrassed by Tampa and themselves (Lose 6-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007
I thought they would have learned their lesson when they got spanked 2 years ago against Ottawa. This team is showing a lot of immaturity and lack of leadership.

HabsDieHard*

I hate how our team became the Bruins. From Prust to Therrien, refereeing bashing was their motto. Not ours. And frankly, if people Wonder why the Bruins are always at the wrong end of special teams...it's because of their whining. Not sure we should go that way. Just a stupid way, in my opinion. for Therrien and Prust to respond of their gestures and transfer the blame to the refs.

Agreed.

I'm constantly wondering what happened to the "No excuses" motto this team apparently had wehn Bergevin was hired.

How many times have we heard Therrien ***** and moan about refereeing or some other thing that had nothing to do with why his team lost?

Just shut your fat mouth and get your team playing better so they can win.

Talking about how the "Fans deserved better" after game 1 because of a missed offside.

Screw that.

Losers make excuses.

Winners vow to be better.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I know there's a tendency to look for blame... but man, credit the Lightning for last night. What a lethal PP. Perfect setups, capitalized on everything. We just plain got beat on special teams.

Absolutely. What concerns me is they just demonstrated Carey Price's one noticeable weakness. If you get him moving, he has difficulty getting back. We are going to need adjustments next season because every single team will be watching this footage in an attempt to exploit our collapse defense approach.

Credit to Cooper. He is outcoaching Therrien brilliantly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought they would have learned their lesson when they got spanked 2 years ago against Ottawa. This team is showing a lot of immaturity and lack of leadership.
I agree. I thought we grew out of that. And look at the difference between Cooper last year and this year. It's like we've switched places with Tampa. You have to stay cool even when you lose. Losing your composure doesn't help anything and it just gives the other team confidence.

HabsDieHard*

I'm in a similar boat, and have considered it in the past, especially since I also cheer for the Canucks. It just irks me management essentially puts language politics before winning the Stanley Cup. I guarantee even the most stubborn of people would get over it if we became the next Chicago/LA.

While that may be his philosophy, Bergevin also needs to realize the roster composition does not favor a defensive system. Our #1 defenseman is a rover and our best young player is a dynamic center. Only Pacioretty plays a hybrid style, though we are better served favoring his offense. What the Habs need is someone able to coach a hybrid system, which takes advantage of defensive strengths, but remains forced on offense. AV has implemented such a style while coaching Vancouver, and now New York.

Given Bergevin acquired Vanek and targeted Vrbata during the off season. I'm at least semi-confident he is aware of where we actually need to transition too. The issue becomes how long before we're finally rid of the dinosaur that is Therrien?

If he targeted Vrbata how is it that a 2 year 10 million deal is all it took for the Canucks to get Vrbata?

An original 6 team coming off a ECF appearance and he gets outbid by a rookie GM on a team coming off a 24th place finish and had just traded their 3rd bes forward?

And the "outbid" was 2 years and 10 million?

I don't buy it for a second.

He made the moronic Parenteau trade and thought that the depth of the team was fixed,

And the Parenteau trade happened before UFA as well, so he wasn't a consolation move either.

Bergevin gave Therrien a 4 year extension last year.

Why do people always point the finger at Therrien and avoid doing the same for Bergevin?

Not only did Bergevin hire and extend Therrien, but Bergevin has done absolutely nothing to improve the forward depth since coming on board.

Honestly go and look at the roster when he came on and tell me that he's done anything substantial to improve them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hate how our team became the Bruins. From Prust to Therrien, refereeing bashing was their motto. Not ours. And frankly, if people Wonder why the Bruins are always at the wrong end of special teams...it's because of their whining. Not sure we should go that way. Just a stupid way, in my opinion. for Therrien and Prust to respond of their gestures and transfer the blame to the refs.

Lol come on WS, not even close to being the Bruins. Therrien didn't even whine about the refs, not yesterday, he said the team was undisciplined. It wasn't really, the penalties they took happen almost on every shift. Just so happened they were called yesterday. Next game they won't be, like in the first one.
Prust calling out the refs was 100% right. You can't see Prust do anything weirdly wrong to get that extra 2. People like to point to Prust saying he said something on the way to the bench. Ya, he did. But that wasn't what earned him the extra 2. That got Watson to go off on him. Watson gave him the 2 after Prust was already sitting down in the bench not even looking at him. So, quite odd to say the least.
If you're referencing the first game, well Therrien is right, they missed a clear offside.

So really I don't see what you're talking about here. And really, the Bruins get away with a million more crap. They throw punches in every scrum and are barely ever penalized for it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Absolutely. What concerns me is they just demonstrated Carey Price's one noticeable weakness. If you get him moving, he has difficulty getting back. We are going to need adjustments next season because every single team will be watching this footage in an attempt to exploit our collapse defense approach.

Well props to them because they've got it set up so he has to move all the way across the crease on almost every goal. Those are very difficult saves to make. Price actually made some tremendous saves last night but their PP absolutely killed us.

HabsDieHard*

Him and every single other goalie in the league has trouble getting back into position when the opposition is having a passing clinic on the power play.

If you give dangerous players time and space, while they have an extra mna, they are going to get chances, and those chances are going to go in the back of the net.

It's not a weakness of Prices'.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Looks like Torrey Mitchell is the habs top scoring centerman , so weak at that position .

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
The team is done, period.

- Anemic PP.
- 5-on-5 offensive is incapable of scoring on both Anderson and Bishop.
- PK had a terrible night.
- Their best collective effort isn't as good as the Lightning's.

Bergevin will have to look to beef up the team during the off-season. The Sharks demonstrated for many years that a great regular season team has to find another gear in the Playoffs or else they'll be playing golf sooner rather than later.

HabsDieHard*

Lol come on WS, not even close to being the Bruins. Therrien didn't even whine about the refs, not yesterday, he said the team was undisciplined. It wasn't really, the penalties they took happen almost on every shift. Just so happened they were called yesterday. Next game they won't be, like in the first one.
Prust calling out the refs was 100% right. You can't see Prust do anything weirdly wrong to get that extra 2. People like to point to Prust saying he said something on the way to the bench. Ya, he did. But that wasn't what earned him the extra 2. That got Watson to go off on him. Watson gave him the 2 after Prust was already sitting down in the bench not even looking at him. So, quite odd to say the least.
If you're referencing the first game, well Therrien is right, they missed a clear offside.

So really I don't see what you're talking about here. And really, the Bruins get away with a million more crap. They throw punches in every scrum and are barely ever penalized for it.

Therrien whined about the offside call that wans't made after game 1, said the fans deserved better.

:laugh:

He has also b itched and moaned numerous times over the course of the season after a loss.

Anything to deflect the blame from himself really.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
and in less games played
:/

And that makes it even worse.. :(

Not surprised though to see the Habs struggle offensively like this. They've had stretches throughout the season when their offense went MIA and they're unfortunately in one of these bad stretches right now. I don't know if it's the system or the players just plain suck offensively (maybe both) but it needs to be looked into this off season.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The team is done, period.

- Anemic PP.
- 5-on-5 offensive is incapable of scoring on both Anderson and Bishop.
- PK had a terrible night.
- Their best collective effort isn't as good as the Lightning's.

Bergevin will have to look to beef up the team during the off-season. The Sharks demonstrated for many years that a great regular season team has to find another gear in the Playoffs or else they'll be playing golf sooner rather than later.

I don't believe this. This team has tons of heart and will learn from their mistakes and come up with a big effort in game 3 (good teams always do). We know we can play with Tampa, we just have to keep our emotions in check AND bring the effort.

I also believe we have the elements to chip in here and there on the PP. We are a short-passing team and always have been, not sure why they are resorting to long passes on the PP. Too easy to defend. I'd love to see Galchenyuk-Parenteau-Patches up front and put PK and Markov back together on PP1. There is a lack of creativity and I think PAP is the right guy with DD out. Chucky isn't a one-timer type player, he can carry into space and create lanes tho. Markov is good at that snap-pass and is a lefty, Petry is more of a fluid passer and a righty. Maybe try Pateryn on PP2? with Petry; Eller in front; Gallagher, Pleky.

We've had chances to score, but have been unlucky. I think they can still put it together.

If they truly do have leadership, they will put ALL this behind them and play their best game of the year, like they did in game 1. Reset and focus on period 1 in Tampa and bring the 'A' game.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm in a similar boat, and have considered it in the past, especially since I also cheer for the Canucks. It just irks me management essentially puts language politics before winning the Stanley Cup. I guarantee even the most stubborn of people would get over it if we became the next Chicago/LA.

While that may be his philosophy, Bergevin also needs to realize the roster composition does not favor a defensive system. Our #1 defenseman is a rover and our best young player is a dynamic center. Only Pacioretty plays a hybrid style, though we are better served favoring his offense. What the Habs need is someone able to coach a hybrid system, which takes advantage of defensive strengths, but remains forced on offense. AV has implemented such a style while coaching Vancouver, and now New York.

Given Bergevin acquired Vanek and targeted Vrbata during the off season. I'm at least semi-confident he is aware of where we actually need to transition too. The issue becomes how long before we're finally rid of the dinosaur that is Therrien?
The best coaches build a system around the team they have to work with and play to their strengths. Therrien forces his style on the team no matter what the roster looks like.

That's one of the major differences between a good and bad coach.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
His centerman is some guy named gets a laugh (a big Canadian centerman we could have drafted instead of some Belorussian guy who can't skate).

That mistake will haunt the habs for years , probably be a contender with the big guy.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The best coaches build a system around the team they have to work with and play to their strengths. Therrien forces his style on the team no matter what the roster looks like.

Truth.

We have a fine team but our approach is bass ackwards. What's wrong with holding the god damn puck? Why can't they string together some ****ing passes on the PP?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Their best player, and one of the best in the world doesn't even play on their top offensive line. Just think about that for a minute.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If he targeted Vrbata how is it that a 2 year 10 million deal is all it took for the Canucks to get Vrbata?

An original 6 team coming off a ECF appearance and he gets outbid by a rookie GM on a team coming off a 24th place finish and had just traded their 3rd bes forward?

And the "outbid" was 2 years and 10 million?

I don't buy it for a second.

He made the moronic Parenteau trade and thought that the depth of the team was fixed,

And the Parenteau trade happened before UFA as well, so he wasn't a consolation move either.

Bergevin gave Therrien a 4 year extension last year.

Why do people always point the finger at Therrien and avoid doing the same for Bergevin?

Not only did Bergevin hire and extend Therrien, but Bergevin has done absolutely nothing to improve the forward depth since coming on board.

Honestly go and look at the roster when he came on and tell me that he's done anything substantial to improve them.

Vrbata opted for Vancouver because he wanted to play with the Sedins, and said as much. The only reason he may be on the trade market now is based on rumors Jim Benning has soured on him.

He also was noticeably frustrated because Desjardin refused to play him with the Sedins even when Burrows went down. Instead, he was stuck with two offensive blackholes. The Canucks season ending presser implied they have no intent of putting Vrbata back with the Sedins next year either.

Could be some great news for us, really. He put up 31 goals playing with Bonino and Higgins most of the year.

Him and every single other goalie in the league has trouble getting back into position when the opposition is having a passing clinic on the power play.

If you give dangerous players time and space, while they have an extra mna, they are going to get chances, and those chances are going to go in the back of the net.

It's not a weakness of Prices'.

True to a point. Price merely seems to struggle with it on average compared to other goalies. It's not a slight on him, just an observation. We left him out to dry last night, despite some brilliant saves as LF noted.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
The top 6, aka the guys that have been with Therrien in the last 3 years, have no confidence whatsoever. Even Subban and Markov are meh.

Meanwhile, guys like Petry, Mitchell and even Flynn show up in the playoffs.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Yep. We dissected this to extreme lengths on the Nucks board after the Torts debacle. Therrien insists we play a collapse defense and neuters any form of creativity. It's why he couldn't coach the two best players in the world, yet a rookie Byslma - who isn't even a great coach himself - did in just one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad