Montreal embarrassed by Tampa and themselves (Lose 6-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Is Therrien smart enough to realize how much the fan base hates him?

I assume he doesn't understand what is 'da internet'.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The best coaches build a system around the team they have to work with and play to their strengths. Therrien forces his style on the team no matter what the roster looks like.

That's one of the major differences between a good and bad coach.

Well, I don't agree. Our system has changed, we are playing possession now. You can argue this is a smart move because we did not get beat up playing this style all season, and still finished in first.

We just didn't finish in game 1 and our discipline and PK let us down in game 2. Can't blame Therrien for that. You might say he didn't prepare the team emotionally for game 2, but that would be it, and I'm not sure that's true.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I hate how our team became the Bruins. From Prust to Therrien, refereeing bashing was their motto. Not ours. And frankly, if people Wonder why the Bruins are always at the wrong end of special teams...it's because of their whining. Not sure we should go that way. Just a stupid way, in my opinion. for Therrien and Prust to respond of their gestures and transfer the blame to the refs.

Well, our PP is so putrid that we're actually more of threat to score on the PK! :sarcasm:

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
Well, I don't agree. Our system has changed, we are playing possession now. You can argue this is a smart move because we did not get beat up playing this style all season, and still finished in first.

I guess you haven't been watching any games in the playoffs because everyone knows regular season and playoff hockey are 2 totally different beasts.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn't blame him if he did considering how GM's throw money at defensemen during UFA. I hope he can be brought back though. He's looking way better than Markov at this point.

And our GM is cheap. Always looking for bargains and/or paying under market value on impending UFAs. It just doesn't work.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I guess you haven't been watching any games in the playoffs because everyone knows regular season and playoff hockey are 2 totally different beasts.

So, what's the complaint about? Therrien steered us to first place by playing a passive defensive style that made us the healthiest team in the league.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Well its no surprise the mental fatigue Price must be under to have to be a difference maker every night, I don't think we have given him a two goal lead yet this playoff, we even lost a game vs. Ottawa in which he was unbelievable and still ended up losing 1-0.
Even last years team during the playoffs we were able to score some goals and had seven vs. Rangers. (I miss Bourque.)
Most of us have been saying all season we are winning despite Therrien and now the proof is upon us.
Price has won a championship with every team he has played for except Habs.:shakehead
I have said before Gilbert is a # 7 D at best and he has hurt us playing full minutes.
You have to put some onus on top six I know, but still juggling lines this deep into the playoffs is a joke, no chemistry, no rhythm, no consistency.
This team has obviously done really well this year, 50 wins, 2nd overall but I believe we are still a legit 1st line center and a good coach away from being a contender for the cup. Maybe we can still eek out a win or two here but haven't felt good about this series from the very start. The match up has killed us.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

We just didn't finish in game 1 and our discipline and PK let us down in game 2. Can't blame Therrien for that. You might say he didn't prepare the team emotionally for game 2, but that would be it, and I'm not sure that's true.
You're right, we're playing a more aggressive style now. If he'd done this for the past two years, he wouldn't have gotten the criticism he has.

WTF didn't we do this the whole way through?

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
He's a much better commentator than he was a ref, lol. I still remember him screwing over Therrien in Carolina all those years ago.

Hehe Yea I actually remember really not liking him as a ref when I was growing up. He and Nilan have some good radio chemistry

He's good at explaining the ref point of view for sure. The Habs are clearly on a league ****list and after last night pretty easy to see why

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
You're right, we're playing a more aggressive style now. If he'd done this for the past two years, he wouldn't have gotten the criticism he has.

WTF didn't we do this the whole way through?

Because we were in first place and didn't have to. And we stayed healthy with the style we were playing, relying on Carey. And, also we didn't tip our hand and leave anything on video that way.

Montreal is a hard place to coach, lol. Carbonneau finishes first in the East and he's gone. Therrien finishes first and we want his head. lol.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
So, what's the complaint about? Therrien steered us to first place by playing a passive defensive style that made us the healthiest team in the league.

The "complaint" is that we cannot score in the playoffs. Do you watch any games or just the TSN highlights....?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The "complaint" is that we cannot score in the playoffs. Do you watch any games or just the TSN highlights....?

Is it Therrien's fault that Pleky didn't finish with the whole top part of the net open? Or the puck bounced over PAP's stick? Or Mitchell and Flynn didn't bury their chances? Or Gallagher didn't shoot it high when he had the open net and time? It's hockey, it happens.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I don't believe this. This team has tons of heart and will learn from their mistakes and come up with a big effort in game 3 (good teams always do). We know we can play with Tampa, we just have to keep our emotions in check AND bring the effort.
They've had their opportunities, but have been dominated by the team for the entire season.

The Habs have been outscored 29-11, including the playoffs games. They're 0-7 against this team. I'll be surprised if the Habs are able to win a single game. Bishop is in their heads, everybody is afraid of cutting to the net (except Mitchell and Gallagher), and the shots from the point don't even get to Bishop. On the rare occasions they do, there are no rebounds. The PP is terrible. All they do is cycle the puck. Nobody in front to screen. I can't even remember the last voluntary deflection there was on a shot. Zero passes across, especially on the PP. Yet, that's how the opponents are able to put it past Price during their PP.

I'm a very realistic person. This has nothing to do with being pessimistic or having a knee-jerk reaction to the loss. It's HOW they lost that made me shake my head. It's all over, folks. Better luck next year. The Lightning won't win the Cup either but they're giving their fans a good show. The Red Wings would have been much easier to compete against.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
They've had their opportunities, but have been dominated by the team for the entire season.

The Habs have been outscored 29-11, including the playoffs games. They're 0-7 against this team. I'll be surprised if the Habs are able to win a single game. Bishop is in their heads, everybody is afraid of cutting to the net (except Mitchell and Gallagher), and the shots from the point don't even get to Bishop. On the rare occasions they do, there are no rebounds. The PP is terrible. All they do is cycle the puck. Nobody in front to screen. I can't even remember the last voluntary deflection there was on a shot. Zero passes across, especially on the PP. Yet, that's how the opponents are able to put it past Price during their PP.

I'm a very realistic person. This has nothing to do with being pessimistic or having a knee-jerk reaction to the loss. It's HOW they lost that made me shake my head. It's all over, folks. Better luck next year. The Lightning won't win the Cup either but they're giving their fans a good show. The Red Wings would have been much easier to compete against.

From what I've seen, we've carried the play for most of the series. A lot of that was because Tampa had the lead, but we've shown we can outplay them when it's close, and not just in surges.

The OT game we lost in the regular season - they kicked our butts. But in game 1, we outplayed them solidly in a 2OT game except one period. We can beat them. They'll be motivated for game 3.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
From what I've seen, we've carried the play for most of the series. A lot of that was because Tampa had the lead, but we've shown we can outplay them when it's close, and not just in surges.

The OT game we lost in the regular season - they kicked our butts. But in game 1, we outplayed them solidly in a 2OT game. We can beat them.

Can we embarrass them in their arena like they did to us last night?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because we were in first place and didn't have to. And we stayed healthy with the style we were playing, relying on Carey. And, also we didn't tip our hand and leave anything on video that way.

Montreal is a hard place to coach, lol. Carbonneau finishes first in the East and he's gone. Therrien finishes first and we want his head. lol.
Yeah, sorry but I completely disagree. You don't play like crap for two years and then completely change your style in the playoffs. You play this way the whole way through so that you can have success.

We drained the offense out of this team for two seasons and now we suddenly want to turn it on? NOW we suddenly hope that EGG can immediately find chemistry again to save us?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
Is it Therrien's fault that Pleky didn't finish with the whole top part of the net open? Or the puck bounced over PAP's stick? Or Mitchell and Flynn didn't bury their chances? Or Gallagher didn't shoot it high when he had the open net and time? It's hockey, it happens.

Meh. We agree to disagree.
I have always said and will continue to say: build a team for playoff hockey, not regular season hockey.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Meh. We agree to disagree.
I have always said and will continue to say: build a team for playoff hockey, not regular season hockey.

I am not disagreeing with that. I've said we should have gotten Chris Stewart, but I think MB insinuated they wanted a first rounder. I might have done that trade tho.

I thought we should have kept Bourque and that he should have been played on right wing and used as a scorer (at least come playoff time). But it appears he's done and it was the right move.

I think the real window opens next year, unless the team proves us wrong in the next two games. And picking up Petry was huge. I think Beaulieu will take the next step and become his partner next season. But now we have to worry about Markov and Pleky. Can they give us another year?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

So basically the players have to learn a whole new system for the playoffs because Therrien wants to play trap in the regular season? It's no wonder we've looked a mess nearly ever single playoff game this season.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think the problem is not whether the coach speaks French... I think we simply don't want an anglophone coach, whether or not he speaks french.

That's exactly what it is. Meanwhile, Chelsea has just won the Champion's League with a Portuguese manager who happens to be a stratospheric talent at running a soccer team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad