Montreal embarrassed by Tampa and themselves (Lose 6-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tampa scores again on the PP and they're doing it with ease. Sounds like Dan Robertson was taking a shot at the Habs pathetic PP. :)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm still your favorite draft pick watcher....if we lose, we only give a 2nd and a 4th. Not a 2nd and a 3rd. There always great news in the worst of time....;)

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
690 has been good this morning lot of talk about the changes to roster in the last year or two Tampa vs Montreal we haven't come close to keeping up with their roster moves. Maybe this next year will be the big year bunch of dead cap is coming off the books.

I listened to Marinaro a little bit and even though people don't seem to like this guy I love it when he goes on his little rants. :laugh:

HabsandSmokies

Dec 7, 2013
The refereeing in the next game will be very interesting. Will they rally behind their 'libeled' brother and make sure Montreal pays?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I really think we can still win the series. The time for complaining about contracts and coaching options is after the playoffs.

Therrien sucks, Lacroix sucks, Bergevin is an arrogant buffoon with bad fashion sense, Chucky is looking like a waste of a top3, Patches is doing his yearly disappearing act, DD is human garbage, etc.

Yeah yeah, but we gotta beat Tampa first and foremost.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If MB could also re-sign Petry that would add to the great news. :)

Absolutely. But we'll have to wait...and depending of how it ends....Petry might really want to test the market.....we will have to be really convincing....

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Difficult not to be pessimistic after last night's game. I think the Habs are done like dinner.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I hate how our team became the Bruins. From Prust to Therrien, refereeing bashing was their motto. Not ours. And frankly, if people Wonder why the Bruins are always at the wrong end of special teams...it's because of their whining. Not sure we should go that way. Just a stupid way, in my opinion. for Therrien and Prust to respond of their gestures and transfer the blame to the refs.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I really think we can still win the series. The time for complaining about contracts and coaching options is after the playoffs.

Therrien sucks, Lacroix sucks, Bergevin is an arrogant buffoon with bad fashion sense, Chucky is looking like a waste of a top3, Patches is doing his yearly disappearing act, DD is human garbage, etc.

Yeah yeah, but we gotta beat Tampa first and foremost.

Playoffs are over man nothing we can do to beat these guys. They are too good and won't lose 4 to us.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Absolutely. But we'll have to wait...and depending of how it ends....Petry might really want to test the market.....we will have to be really convincing....

I wouldn't blame him if he did considering how GM's throw money at defensemen during UFA. I hope he can be brought back though. He's looking way better than Markov at this point.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

I get the feeling he'll want to return home to Michigan. IIRC his father won the World Series with the Tigers. I'm sure he'd like to follow in those footsteps and try to win a cup with the RedWings. It would be a huge blow to our D corps though. There's no one like him in our prospect pool or in free agency.

Resigning him should be a priority for Bergevin the minute the playoffs finish.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Playoffs are over man nothing we can do to beat these guys. They are too good and won't lose 4 to us.

But they're not over. I'm not an optimist (and I've been 100% accurate and correct in my criticisms of every guilty party, it just took you guys long enough to catch up) but we do have the best goalie in the world. If he steals game3, we just have to win another one against the softest team in the East and then we'd be 2-2.

The Habs have much more experience than the Lightning, it comes into play moments like these.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I get the feeling he'll want to return home to Michigan. IIRC his father won the World Series with the Tigers. I'm sure he'd like to follow in those footsteps and try to win a cup with the RedWings. It would be a huge blow to our D corps though. There's no one like him in our prospect pool or in free agency.

Resigning him should be a priority for Bergevin the minute the playoffs finish.

And frankly, losing Petry, and with Bergevin's "defense is key" strategy, we might make trades....but it won't be for up front.

This team NEEDS Petry. And unless Petry absolutely do NOT want to stay for whatever reason, it's Bergevin's job to overpay and convince him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know there's a tendency to look for blame... but man, credit the Lightning for last night. What a lethal PP. Perfect setups, capitalized on everything. We just plain got beat on special teams.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I hate how our team became the Bruins. From Prust to Therrien, refereeing bashing was their motto. Not ours. And frankly, if people Wonder why the Bruins are always at the wrong end of special teams...it's because of their whining. Not sure we should go that way. Just a stupid way, in my opinion. for Therrien and Prust to respond of their gestures and transfer the blame to the refs.

With the PP we got, being at the wrong end of special teams doesn't look so bad :cry:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
You could say not having a captain might have hurt us. The team got screwed in game 1, but a strong captain would not have let them come out undisciplined. This is why PK cannot be captain. We probably should have made Markov the captain in hindsight. He would have had the team on a more level keel for this game.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I know there's a tendency to look for blame... but man, credit the Lightning for last night. What a lethal PP. Perfect setups, capitalized on everything. We just plain got beat on special teams.

There PP looked a lot better than it really was because our guys let down and stopped trying after the Stamkos goal which made it easier for them to exploit us. They also got a lucky bounce from Morrow that didn't help either.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You could say not having a captain might have hurt us. The team got screwed in game 1, but a strong captain would not have let them come out undisciplined. This is why PK cannot be captain. We probably should have made Markov the captain in hindsight. He would have had the team on a more level keel for this game.

Price is our captain. Leadership isn't this teams' issue, it's execution. They give a full-effort all the time, but running into the wall full-speed and walking into a wall have the same result.

We got neutralized by the Bolts and our own inept PP, let's see what they do for game3.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Price is our captain. Leadership isn't this teams' issue, it's execution. They give a full-effort all the time, but running into the wall full-speed and walking into a wall have the same result.

We got neutralized by the Bolts and our own inept PP, let's see what they do for game3.

Leadership isn't just about effort, it's about controlling your emotions in big games and it's about how you respond to adversity. A goalie cannot be a captain, he doesn't interact with the team on the bench or on the ice.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
As a guy who speaks no French whatsoever, cheering for a team who has this policy ****ing kills me. It makes me nuts. It will forever hold this franchise back.

When my uncle tells me to "cheer for another team", I have to think about it sometimes.

I'm in a similar boat, and have considered it in the past, especially since I also cheer for the Canucks. It just irks me management essentially puts language politics before winning the Stanley Cup. I guarantee even the most stubborn of people would get over it if we became the next Chicago/LA.

You also have to look Bergevins vision. He's a strong believer of defence wins you championships. I know it's his job to employ a coach and the coach implements the system, but you have to assume that he is going to hire somebody who has a similar mindset. I don't think Therrien was the right choice at the time, and still don't.

While that may be his philosophy, Bergevin also needs to realize the roster composition does not favor a defensive system. Our #1 defenseman is a rover and our best young player is a dynamic center. Only Pacioretty plays a hybrid style, though we are better served favoring his offense. What the Habs need is someone able to coach a hybrid system, which takes advantage of defensive strengths, but remains forced on offense. AV has implemented such a style while coaching Vancouver, and now New York.

Given Bergevin acquired Vanek and targeted Vrbata during the off season. I'm at least semi-confident he is aware of where we actually need to transition too. The issue becomes how long before we're finally rid of the dinosaur that is Therrien?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad