Post-Game Talk: Mon Lars leads Pens past the Habs 6-3

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You found that he was responsible for the goals ?
The 1st and 3rd he screwed up. He wasn't the only one to screw up I'll give him that. I don't see this kid helping us win anything. His deficiencies on defense outweigh his pluses on offense. By a lot.

Last edited:

Stive Morgan

Nosferatu!
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Letang Malkin Crosby makes the Pens dangerous until they retire
Crosby still has his ingenious hockey IQ (that will never go away), Malkin is a freak of nature athlete, and Letang is a miracle worker.

It's actually insane that Letang is able to still play like this after suffering two strokes and the death of Luc Bourdon. I have so much respect for him.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
At some point the defense needs to start looking like a unit. Its the same 8 guys for the last few yrs essentially

Its gotta be on Robidas at some point to come up with something at works.

Reactions: Pomee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I saw Xhekaj make a few crisp tape to tape passes. I saw Barron try a D to D pass to Matheson in the 3rd period which went into Mike’s skates and out of the offensive zone.
I saw Barron make some nice offensive zone rushes.

I saw Xhekaj covering air on the Pens 4th goal.

I mean…ok.
Again, one has a purpose of being one of the league’s best enforcers. What is Barron’s role? It’s clearly to be a warm body and he’s barely good at that. I can deal with one weak bottom pairing guy, but having two is a recipe for disaster as we see now.
Bottom pairing are for the most part unreliable, its the same for most teams around the league.

Stive Morgan

Nosferatu!
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I didn't see tne game tonight, but lots of ypunare saying Guhle and Hutson were the only defensemen tonight.

Hutson was a -4 tonight... worst on the team, yet he was solid tonight?
Hard to blame any of the goals on him (from what I recall anyway)

And even if he was responsible, his offense makes up for it and he's only played like 7 NHL games so I'd expect him to be very much in the minus anyway lol

He also played like 25 minutes

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well I haven't watched one game yet and I am sort of glad. The decades of mediocrity have taken their toll. I do watch the highlights and read everyone on this site but it's just too hard watching this organization suck year after year. I do enjoy reading you guys though.

They've actually been fun to watch for the most part. Hutson is worth it. The team is young & have an immature game, but there's progress.

Caufield has also been great to start the season.

Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Hutson, Guhle, are leading this team already.

Heineman & Kapanen have been good on the 4th line.

Dach is struggling though.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I didn't see tne game tonight, but lots of ypunare saying Guhle and Hutson were the only defensemen tonight.

One was an ENG, 2 were plays where Hutson went end to end and nobody fell back to cover for him. I don't fault him for any except maybe the 3rd goal.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Fun game, 1st line starting to click, Dach still gets a pass for now, 4 games in 6 nights to start the year might be too much for guys like Savard and Gally.

Evans and Kappy had quiet games. Xhekaj too, he's playing safe and steady, but I think he should be making more of a physical impact. I think he's playing not to make mistakes and rotate with Struble, but he's much better when he plays free and with swagger.

Barron gave me hope with his physical play, but still too inconsistent with his overall game. I'd play Struble next game. Guhle was Guhle, and well Matheson was Matheson. :laugh:

Heneiman is gonna be such an asset in the bottom 6. I also like how Anderson is playing. I like his energy and intensity. Dvorak had a quiet but still a good game imo.

And what can I say about Hutson that hasn't been already said, so much fun to watch. He just makes things happen and, like MSL said, he's teammates are still learning to play with him. Someone needs to have his back when he becomes a rover. I know we all want to see him on PP1, but I think MSL will keep the status quo until a change needs to be made. Right now, both units are effective, but yea, having Hutson on the 1st unit would be scary for other teams.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Interesting comments about Amazon Prime’s quality. I’ll have to give it a shot and experience it for myself. TV broadcast standards are 720p. Sportsnet, RDS etc…are 720p. Amazon normally use 1080p for it’s video streaming services so I’m wondering if today’s game was at 1080p.

That’s a big win for Prime if that’s the case.

It was:
render_id: 61
player_id: 2
created: 2024-10-14 23:07:28.787613 UTC
info: Selected video track: [2]
origin_url: https://www.primevideo.com/
kFrameUrl: https://www.primevideo.com/storefront/home/ref=atv_nb_logo
kFrameTitle: Prime Video
kRendererName: MediaFoundationRenderer
renderer_created: [object Object]
pipeline_state: kStopped
kSetCdm: [object Object]
kIsCdmAttached: true
kAudioTracks: [object Object]
kVideoTracks: [object Object]
seek_target: 7085.629
dimensions: 1920x1080
kResolution: 1920x1080

But the true difference it's the stream is at a very high bitrate compared to RDS/SN/TSN, something like 4x higher.

Reactions: Pomee and the

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

-4 is bad. But our forwards don’t seem to have gotten the message that if Hutson is far in, they need to take his spot and cover streaking forwards. It will happen all the time in the future. They looked confused and befuddled looking at Pens forwards streaking up the ice without the second D back.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man, some here like you shit on Xhekaj, but he comes back from a secondshoulder surgery, miss a lot of times. It’s normal to look a bit rusty at the beginning. And he barely had any reps in preseason and we all know why.
Pointing out a valid misread by a player is not shitting on him.

Saying a player was dogshit (when he really wasnt) is.

I don't really care that you or others think Xhekaj is cool.

I'm a big fan of him but I just call it like I see it. I'm not going to give him a pass because I'm a fan lol.
Caufield shooted like a little girl last season and wasnt involved physically after the same shoulder surgery. Give him f***ing time. We are game 4. But knowing MSL he will bench him for Struble and that will mess him up even more confident wise.

Some forget that X is and will be a solid bottom pairing dman. Savard bring un down tonight with him.
Cool story…I didn't advocate for benching him (though I suspect MSL will). So miss me with this.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
And were the goals his fault. The first one was Anderson's fault.

First goal was on Savard. I have no idea what he was doing on one knee and then he gets outskated and outworked by Eller.

Second goal had plenty of mistakes, namely from Anderson and Hutson, but no one was covering Rakell. You usually want your weak side D to have his head on a swivel, Savard was puck watching, then hesitated, tried to stick check Malkin while leaving Rakell completely open, though none of the other guys did anything either.

Fourth goal Hutson wasn't on the ice, but miscommunication between Savard and Xhekaj, leaving Hayes completely open. He was supposed to be Savards man, but Xhekaj didn't switch spots and missed his coverage.

Fifth goal, where Hutson was on the ice, was a whole lot of inexperience. Hutson attacks, gets behind the net, doesn't come back hard. Three guys are covering the puck carrier, Suzuki is stick checking, Caufield for some reason is playing outside the dot as the weak side winger, close to the boards leaving two penguins open near the center, Slafkovsky is not reading the play whatsoever, tries to go for a body check even though the carrier is being checked by Suzuki. Slaf misses his mark, getting both Suzuki and Slaf out of the play. Caufield got himself completely out of the play from the getgo, Matheson doesn't read the three on one and goes for Grzelcyk, who just has to pass to Malkin, who's completely alone, while Caufield is behind the play and Hutson is coming back at half speed. A veteran first line/first pairing likely doesn't do any of those mistakes. The only one who wasnt at fault there was Suzuki.

Empty netter being his fault would be the kind of take not even worth talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad