Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
My take on Stanley is that it is far easier to make a mistake than it is to admit that you made a mistake. That would explain why he got that contract instead of a ticket to the KHL.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone who has ever run a business and has had a rockstar employee with make certain concessions to make sure they don't lose them
This is also true if you are in a senior management position in a large organization, which is basically Chevy and Arniel. They know Schiefele and Connor win them far more games then they cost, so you put up with a couple warts because they can score goals consistently when the game is on the line. And winning is the bottom line.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This is also true if you are in a senior management position in a large organization, which is basically Chevy and Arniel. They know Schiefele and Connor win them far more games then they cost, so you put up with a couple warts because they can score goals consistently when the game is on the line. And winning is the bottom line.
And they put asses in seats. It's still a business

It is good when the tail wags the dog. Always a recipe to extract a lot of good out of that setup.:DD
Not sure who the tail is here? The players? They're actually the product, which kinda makes them the dog

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My take, is it is a push back against those we don't seem to appreciate the pure visual enjoyment of elite offensive players. Scheifele and Connor basically just won us 2 hockey games with pure offensive skill, but for some that isn't good enough because those goals weren't 5-5. They have however scored 3 times at even strength, but that doesn't meet the test as it has to be 5-5. I was out at the lake for the weekend so I wasn't around here much, but more casual fans were buzzing about how exciting the wins were and talking about what great players Scheifele and Connor are. That is what will bring out fans. Winning hockey games with highlight reel goals.
Well, the pushback has been pretty classless at times, but in any case, who among us doesn't appreciate the bolded? It's the lowest hanging fruit for all hockey fans and we all love watching the highlight reel goals. But it'd be nice to see more tolerance of those who want to be more analytical or question the status quo. For example, what if we could get all the excitement we've gotten out of Connor 3v3, PP and 6v5 and even more 5v5, while lifting the second line? How much discontent do you think that would foment on the team and among fans?

As I said in my earlier post, I'm fine if they keep Scheif and Connor together for a while 5v5, to see if they can somehow remediate their past defensive woes. But if they do change up the lines, it should not be seen as punishment or disloyalty, but rather an opportunity for as many or more pretty goals, and fewer against.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Tough weekend for Jets attendance...

Going head to head with final Bomber game plus the odd starting time on Sunday...a good chunk of people have their Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. Not sure what time would have worked better on Sunday...or maybe there was never a good time for that game?
People can simply not be a slave to the calendar. For example, our big Thanksgiving get-together will be this coming Saturday, because that's when it worked for everyone. Similarly, we have had Xmas dinners after New Year's. In all those years we had arena sellouts, did we never have to play a home game on a major holiday? That's just an excuse. As I believe is "the economy". The interest just isn't there. And it doesn't matter that Mr and Mrs October have stolen a couple of should-have-been losses while teams are still in extended pre-season mode. There are pros and cons to attending games at our arena, and the cons are winning. Yes, that is a double entendre.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well, the pushback has been pretty classless at times, but in any case, who among us doesn't appreciate the bolded? It's the lowest hanging fruit for all hockey fans and we all love watching the highlight reel goals. But it'd be nice to see more tolerance of those who want to be more analytical or question the status quo. For example, what if we could get all the excitement we've gotten out of Connor 3v3, PP and 6v5 and even more 5v5, while lifting the second line? How much discontent do you think that would foment on the team and among fans?

As I said in my earlier post, I'm fine if they keep Scheif and Connor together for a while 5v5, to see if they can somehow remediate their past defensive woes. But if they do change up the lines, it should not be seen as punishment or disloyalty, but rather an opportunity for as many or more pretty goals, and fewer against.
But isn't Ehlers the one with the great analytics? To me he should be on the second line right now trying to get the second line going if that's the case. Again i don't care who plays where as long as we are playing pretty good and winning more games than losing.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
My take, is it is a push back against those we don't seem to appreciate the pure visual enjoyment of elite offensive players. Scheifele and Connor basically just won us 2 hockey games with pure offensive skill, but for some that isn't good enough because those goals weren't 5-5. They have however scored 3 times at even strength, but that doesn't meet the test as it has to be 5-5. I was out at the lake for the weekend so I wasn't around here much, but more casual fans were buzzing about how exciting the wins were and talking about what great players Scheifele and Connor are. That is what will bring out fans. Winning hockey games with highlight reel goals.

Not looking beyond the surface level is why those fans are "casuals" in the first place, not that there is anything wrong with that. Places like this are obviously not the places heavily dominated by "casual fans" though. 3 on 3, 6 on 5 (yes that's how stupid the ES stat is- 6 on 5 counts as "ES" on the websites you are looking this up) and 5 on 5 are fundamentally different situations, putting them all under the Even Strength blanket does little good to anyone. 75% of the game is played at 5 on 5, anyone who wants the Jets to succeed should rightfully be concerned if our best players are having trouble in that situation.

Last season many here were talking about the bad 5 on 5 play in the 2nd half of the season and similar arguments were used to defend that, look how that turned out in the playoffs.

I think top players will always lobby who the want to play with. I remember Buff never being shy about saying who he wanted to play with. We are 1-2 with out Schiefele and Helly. They are our 2 of our 4 biggest stars along with Morrissey and Connor and these guys will all get the coach's ear.

Buff was forced to play forward when he absolutely hated that lol. On the championship winning Penguins, Kessel wanted to play with Malkin and Sullivan told him to suck it up and play where he is told if he wants his 7 million a year. Matthews and Marner want to play with each and unlike our guys have great results when together, yet they are split apart every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad