Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fleury has been fine as a 3LD, but nothing special. Miller is also fine on 3RD. But I think Heinola could offer a bit more on offense than Fleury. Ultimately, I think the Jets need a better 2RD, and Salomonsson fits that role. It'll be interesting to see where Pionk ends up. My guess is that the Jets will re-sign him at a lower cap hit to play 3RD next season and beyond. I'd prefer Miller in that role, but the Jets seem to really like Pionk.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Fleury has been fine as a 3LD, but nothing special. Miller is also fine on 3RD. But I think Heinola could offer a bit more on offense than Fleury. Ultimately, I think the Jets need a better 2RD, and Salomonsson fits that role. It'll be interesting to see where Pionk ends up. My guess is that the Jets will re-sign him at a lower cap hit to play 3RD next season and beyond. I'd prefer Miller in that role, but the Jets seem to really like Pionk.
I think the rule of thumb is you replace a PKer with a PKer. Fleury's replacement would be Stanley. Which is a negative tradeoff in speed. Miller's replacement on the PP would be Heinola, positive tradeoff in speed. It's possible Miller could take Fleury's PK minutes, but he'd likely be on his offside. Morrissey could start killing penalties more often, but I think he's #5, the replacement on that depth chart. Not regularly expending energy in the defensive end.

I'm interested to see if Lundmark and Salomonsson become the eventual replacements for Stanley or Heinola. A case of 2nd round picks developing past the point of 1st round picks. I'd say that Heinola is a player who has to prove something at this point to get in the lineup or stay in the lineup. The potential has got him to this point, but the results will dictate whether he sticks or becomes a tradeable asset.

If Samberg and Pionk have a strong year good chance both get re-signed long term. That might leave Salomonsson the 3rd pairing to grow into with the first being his ceiling.

Happy Thanksgiving

Reactions: LowLefty

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

The sad part is there are now 4 LHD (Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Fleury) better than Logan Stanley on our team and yet as soon as he's healthy he'll be drawing back in.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I completely forgot about the game, but at least I have it on PVR. Will try to watch it just as soon as I can get the remote back from Mrs. Jetson.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The sad part is there are now 4 LHD (Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Fleury) better than Logan Stanley on our team and yet as soon as he's healthy he'll be drawing back in.
I don't get how you came to that conclusion... but go ahead and make yourself upset over something that hasn't happened...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I've liked what I have seen from Fleury - whether he can keep it up is still to be determined
Ville as a better option over Stan is TBD - he'll need to get into the lineup at some point to prove it.
regardless, it's nice to have options - and at some point, they'll need to decide what the bottom pairing will be
Or they'll play the hot hand or shuffle based on the competition - I can see them going with 8 D until they sort it out.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Honestly the best thing for the Jets defense would be to have a good 2nd defenseman and be able to put DeMelo down to the 2nd or 3rd pairing. I like DeMelo but i don't think he's a top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: LowLefty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've liked what I have seen from Fleury - whether he can keep it up is still to be determined
Ville as a better option over Stan is TBD - he'll need to get into the lineup at some point to prove it.
regardless, it's nice to have options - and at some point, they'll need to decide what the bottom pairing will be
Or they'll play the hot hand or shuffle based on the competition - I can see them going with 8 D until they sort it out.
I didn't realize how big of a dude Fleury was until that interview with him between periods yesterday. Always good to have a little size and strength on defense.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think the reason the "stats crew" hasn't changed their opinion on the Scheif - Connor pairing is that that pairing just hasn't performed well for six years in a row 5 on 5. That's a long time man. Should we really be acting like some frustrations aren't warranted?

All this about there being some crew that "hates" Scheif Connor and "loves" Ehlers is maybe people reading their own fandom into how other people operate, and kind of poisoning the well around here I think. If Scheif Connor pull their weight 5 on 5 I'm sure pretty much everyone will be happy, because they're obviously together regardless of what happens, so that would obviously be best for the team. But I just don't see how anyone can blame people for having doubts about it, or for having faith that Ehlers will come good, after everything we've seen for six seasons.

Maybe if you think things like goal % and shot share are some kind of voodoo then critics of our top line look more like they have some kind of personal vendetta, idk.
This is a team game, not a " I want my favorite player to get everything he needs to be the best player on the team" game.

When the Jets finish 4th in goal differential the Ehlers, Perfetti, Heionla fan clubs can all take a seat in the back because the TEAM is all that matters.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think the reason the "stats crew" hasn't changed their opinion on the Scheif - Connor pairing is that that pairing just hasn't performed well for six years in a row 5 on 5. That's a long time man. Should we really be acting like some frustrations aren't warranted?
All this about there being some crew that "hates" Scheif Connor and "loves" Ehlers is maybe people reading their own fandom into how other people operate, and kind of poisoning the well around here I think. If Scheif Connor pull their weight 5 on 5 I'm sure pretty much everyone will be happy, because they're obviously together regardless of what happens, so that would obviously be best for the team. But I just don't see how anyone can blame people for having doubts about it, or for having faith that Ehlers will come good, after everything we've seen for six seasons.

Maybe if you think things like goal % and shot share are some kind of voodoo then critics of our top line look more like they have some kind of personal vendetta, idk.
Agree with all of this--calling fans with stats-informed views 'nerds' and presuming they haven't watched or played enough hockey is just silly. It feels a bit like being back in the playground at recess, in grade school, after getting too high a mark in math. Ah, how I long for those good old days... :sarcasm:

I haven't had a chance to watch much hockey this year, but it seems as if most of Scheifele and Connor's points have been on the PP, 3vs3 and 6vs5. If so, they should definitely continue to play together in those situations. And giving them another month to see if they can reverse their poor 5v5 record is not the worst idea. But, given the struggles of the second line, giving Connor a chance to give them a spark at at 5v5 makes sense. And it could be either Ehlers or Perfetti who switches with him (I'd prefer Perfetti).

'If it ain't broke don't fix it', is not a great way to approach professional anything. You always have to be looking under the surface for problems and at the numbers for insights that aren't visible to the naked eye(sorry anti-statsers).

I'm much less worried about Arniel in this area, as I suspect he would mostly agree with with this approach. The season is young, so we will see...

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
This is a team game, not a " I want my favorite player to get everything he needs to be the best player on the team" game.

When the Jets finish 4th in goal differential the Ehlers, Perfetti, Heionla fan clubs can all take a seat in the back because the TEAM is all that matters.

I mean that's kind of my point. We should be doing things to make the team better, like playing the best players more in proven combinations, regardless of any ruffled feathers it may cause.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd swap Names and Kupari before I did that.

And there hasn't been all that much criticism directed at the first line but they have the same number of goals at even strength as the ENP line. So swap Ehlers and Vilardi before that. Maybe kick start both lines. Easiest thing to try is just swapping Ehlers and Perfetti.
But the number of posts and crossbars the first line means they are much more likely to break out.
Second line seems toothless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad