OT: MLB Thread XLVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I don't think this is true as it seems like most Met fans are happy they didn't hand out that contract but this tweet made me laugh.

Lindor and Conforto are both 27. Springer is 31 and probably will be out of CF within a couple seasons.

I don't think the Jays are crazy for giving him that deal, but I'm also not upset the Mets didn't. I think they're better off finding a really strong defensive CF and adding another bullpen arm with the money they would have given Springer (and having some left over).

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So with Springer out of the mix, this is where they stand currently:

C: McCann
1B: Alonso/Smith
2B: McNeil
3B: JD Davis/McNeil
SS: Lindor
LF: Smith/McNeil
CF: Nimmo
RF: Conforto

Bench: Martinez, Nido, Guillorme, Drury.

I think unless they make a trade, Nimmo is going to be in CF for them. I'm not sure they will sign JBJ and it might be best for them not to.

What I am hopeful for now is that they look to get someone that can start at 2nd. There are rumors of Kike Hernandez, which would fill a bunch of roles. A couple guys that could fill in at 2nd I like are Schoop or Hanser Alberto. Schoop is more of a power bat than Alberto, but both are effective hitters. Cesar Hernandez is another that will improve the up the middle defense and be a solid bottom of the lineup bat, and could fill in hitting leadoff if needed. Would allow McNeil to slot into LF to improve the defense.

If they look at adding an OF to keep McNeil at 2nd, someone like Eddie Rosario would be a good option. They can really use the DH so they can have Alonso and Smith in the lineup without killing the defense in the OF.

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So with Springer out of the mix, this is where they stand currently:

C: McCann
1B: Alonso/Smith
2B: McNeil
3B: JD Davis/McNeil
SS: Lindor
LF: Smith/McNeil
CF: Nimmo
RF: Conforto

Bench: Martinez, Nido, Guillorme, Drury.

I think unless they make a trade, Nimmo is going to be in CF for them. I'm not sure they will sign JBJ and it might be best for them not to.

What I am hopeful for now is that they look to get someone that can start at 2nd. There are rumors of Kike Hernandez, which would fill a bunch of roles. A couple guys that could fill in at 2nd I like are Schoop or Hanser Alberto. Schoop is more of a power bat than Alberto, but both are effective hitters. Cesar Hernandez is another that will improve the up the middle defense and be a solid bottom of the lineup bat, and could fill in hitting leadoff if needed. Would allow McNeil to slot into LF to improve the defense.

If they look at adding an OF to keep McNeil at 2nd, someone like Eddie Rosario would be a good option. They can really use the DH so they can have Alonso and Smith in the lineup without killing the defense in the OF.

I actually don't mind Nimmo at CF. He isn't the greatest fielder but he's a damn good player at the plate. His eye at the plate is phenomenal.

I wasn't on board with bringing Springer to the Mets at a long term deal due to age. I wish they can bring in one more power bat and at least one more reliever and starter.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Lindor and Conforto are both 27. Springer is 31 and probably will be out of CF within a couple seasons.

I don't think the Jays are crazy for giving him that deal, but I'm also not upset the Mets didn't. I think they're better off finding a really strong defensive CF and adding another bullpen arm with the money they would have given Springer (and having some left over).

I'm kind of with you on this as it may be a blessing in disguise that we didn't sign Springer. Said it the other day, I'd like Bradley Jr but after looking at who's still available, I'd really like us to be in on Kevin Pillar. That would be a nice upgrade over Nimmo that wouldn't break the bank and we could pretty much call it a day.

Wait check that after Pillar, bring in Brad Hand also and than call it a day. I mean we are going to be really good if we didn't do another thing and the Braves are definitely looking at us as their main threat for the division but add Pillar and Hand to what we already got....hmmmm, would love to go to war with the team we'd have than....:nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm kind of with you on this as it may be a blessing in disguise that we didn't sign Springer. Said it the other day, I'd like Bradley Jr but after looking at who's still available, I'd really like us to being in Kevin Pillar. That would be a nice upgrade over Nimmo that wouldn't break the bank and we could pretty much call it a day.

Wait check that after Pillar, bring in Brad Hand also and than call it a day. I mean we are going to be really good if we didn't do another thing but add Pillar and Hand....hmmmm, would love to go to war with the team we'd have than....:nod:
IMO we should also still try to bring in another veteran starter.

deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco

Petersen
Lucchesi
Matz
Oswalt
Szapucki
Kilome
Syndergaard in June?

As is, we're counting on Petersen to be at least decent (and his FIP and xFIP last year...were not), and one of Lucchesi or Matz to be good again. Then, we're also counting on Syndergaard being able to return to form when he comes back, with no setbacks or whatever. Oswalt is garbage, Szapucki is a good prospect but has pitched 4 innings above Hi-A, and Kilome has good stuff but looked bad last year.

Basically, while I love our top three, what's behind that scares me. I think they need to take a flier on another reclamation project like Teheran (not necessarily him, just throwing out a name) to really solidify the depth. Last year when they brought in both Wacha and Porcello, I think that's the right kind of strategy at this point.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
IMO we should also still try to bring in another veteran starter.

deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco

Petersen
Lucchesi
Matz
Oswalt
Szapucki
Kilome
Syndergaard in June?

As is, we're counting on Petersen to be at least decent (and his FIP and xFIP last year...were not), and one of Lucchesi or Matz to be good again. Then, we're also counting on Syndergaard being able to return to form when he comes back, with no setbacks or whatever. Oswalt is garbage, Szapucki is a good prospect but has pitched 4 innings above Hi-A, and Kilome has good stuff but looked bad last year.

Basically, while I love our top three, what's behind that scares me. I think they need to take a flier on another reclamation project like Teheran (not necessarily him, just throwing out a name) to really solidify the depth. Last year when they brought in both Wacha and Porcello, I think that's the right kind of strategy at this point.

I'm with you...I'd go for another SP. Was reading about Teheran as supposedly he had a "I still have it day" for scouts recently and if he does have something left, I could see him being a 2021 Wacha/Porcello type of signing.

It's not like those two were any good but I might be willing to bring him into camp and see what he's got....couldn't hurt.

I do think Peterson is going to be OK despite the peripherals. Another year of experience...I dunno... I get a good vibe from him.

Overall tho, I think we can get by pretty decently even if we didn't do another thing with the staff but bringing another arm...why not?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Was reading the Joel Sherman article in the Post yesterday about the Mets still having Trevor Bauer thoughts potentially on their minds.

Funny how 360 degrees I've gone on bringing him in as just a month ago I was gung ho on us signing Bauer. Now tho, I want nothing to do with him....nothing!. I'd be lying if I didn't say that the acquisition of Carassco hasn't solidified this change in opionion for me but even before the Lindor/Carassco deal, I was starting to get a bad vibe about bringing him here.

I dunno, I started to think from what I was reading and hearing that Bauer might screw up the pretty nice kumbaya chemistry the Mets have going on and so it was likely better to pass him by...now I'm convinced of it!

Reactions: zephyr and nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Was reading the Joel Sherman article in the Post yesterday about the Mets still having Trevor Bauer thoughts potentially on their minds.

Funny how 360 degrees I've gone on bringing him in as just a month ago I was gung ho on us signing Bauer. Now tho, I want nothing to do with him....nothing!. I'd be lying if I didn't say that the acquisition of Carassco hasn't solidified this change in opionion for me but even before the Lindor/Carassco deal, I was starting to get a bad vibe about bringing him here.

I dunno, I started to think from what I was reading and hearing that Bauer might screw up the pretty nice kumbaya chemistry the Mets have going on and so it was likely better to pass him by...now I'm convinced of it!

he’s a headache. Both his big mouth and actions were such a nightmare in a small market like Cleveland. He’s not for NY. The guy never shuts up. He gets pulled from a game and throws the ball over the centerfield fence. He’s a huge risk IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: zephyr and Maximus

Deleted member 23124

I knew you'd come around eventually, mon ami!!!!!

This was my main concern about him coming here....he's a character (I'm being kind) -- I think I commented to you a couple of times that he's a disaster waiting to happen. I think that's one of the reasons he's still unsigned (and also why he hired a new manager to remake his "brand").

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I knew you'd come around eventually, mon ami!!!!!

This was my main concern about him coming here....he's a character (I'm being kind) -- I think I commented to you a couple of times that he's a disaster waiting to happen. I think that's one of the reasons he's still unsigned (and also why he hired a new manager to remake his "brand").

I know I know I know...you and others finally got to me...you happy cause I don't like to admit defeat and that I'm wrong...lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just saw that Hammerin' Hank Aaron just passed away.

And yes Hank Aaron is no longer with us. Friggen crazy how many not just baseball players but Hall of Fame ball players have passed away since 2020 began to today. I don't want to go do the research but from the top of my head, the amount of HOF players who have died since the beginning of last year could field an entire lineup including pitching staff.

Sad day indeed...I guess we are all getting old...sniff sniff!!!

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What's crazy is, he was actually underrated.
Yeah somebody pointed on Twitter that the whole Home Run King thing overshadows what else he did.

He was great at walking and stealing and hit over .300. Didn't strike out much either. Just an absolutely perfect offensive player.

Reactions: zephyr

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
One of the greatest of all-time :(

RIP to the true Home Run champ.

What's crazy is, he was actually underrated.

Yeah somebody pointed on Twitter that the whole Home Run King thing overshadows what else he did.

He was great at walking and stealing and hit over .300. Didn't strike out much either. Just an absolutely perfect offensive player.

Also, 3rd all time in hits.

Agreed with all. Hank Aaron:

All-Time Leader in Home Runs, RBIs, and Total Bases, 3rd in Hits, 4th in Runs Scored, 5th in Offensive WAR and WAR Position Players, Hall of Famer, MVP, World Series Champ, 25x All-Star, 3 Gold Gloves, 2x Batting Titles

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Friend of mine just texted me this couple of minutes ago. Take away all of Aaron's 755 HR's and he still has over 3000 hits.

That's friggen nuts!

Another one...Aaron had at least 25 HR's every year from 1957 thru 1973. That my friends is sustaining power especially in the era of Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Seaver, Carlton, Marichal among others.

Shit at age 41 he hit 41 bombs and drove in 123 ribs...amazing simply amazing #'s he put up over his career.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Friend of mine just texted me this couple of minutes ago. Take away all of Aaron's 755 HR's and he still has over 3000 hits.

That's friggen nuts!

Another one...Aaron had at least 25 HR's every year from 1957 thru 1973. That my friends is sustaining power especially in the era of Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Seaver, Carlton, Marichal among others.

Shit at age 41 he hit 41 bombs and drove in 123 ribs...amazing simply amazing #'s he put up over his career.
We're losing the great ones. Don Sutton passed away a couple of days ago too.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We're losing the great ones. Don Sutton passed away a couple of days ago too.

Geeze hadn't heard of Sutton's passing....ugh.

OK screw it...I looked. Here's the HOF's who've died since 2020...it's crazy. And I'm not even talking about the other sports where you have guys like Kobe, Chris Doleman, Tommy Heinsohn passing as it would take too long.

Here's the list:

Lou Brock
Al Kaline
Joe Morgan
Hank Aaron
Tom Seaver
Don Sutton
Whitey Ford
Bob Gibson
Phil Niekro

This is not too mention other well known baseball players Dick Allen, Horace Clark, Tony Fernandez, Jay Johnstone, Don Larsen, Bob Oliver, Claudell Washington, Bob Watson, Jimmy Wynn also passed away this year.

I dunno maybe this happens every year and I just wasn't aware for some reason but 9 HOF players dying within 13 months of one another seems like an awful lot...just sayin!!

Deleted member 23124

If you look back at those players, they all had one thing in common: they were complete athletes....no one "specialized"...that was the only way you could survive in the major leagues.....we will never see the likes of those guys again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad