OT: MLB Thread 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
It's amazing how fast the Mets/SNY cut to commercial at end of an inning, jesus Gary Cohen barely gets done calling the play, can't see a replay of nice play.

Money grubbing whores

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The Mets always win when I go
61taua.jpg

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Mets fans act like Alonso isn't at worst the third best offensive 1b in the NL. I don't know where you expect to replace his 70 XBH.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not smart enough to know what Alonso's problems at the plate are. It seems he's just trying to bludgeon the ball when not necessary.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I'm not smart enough to know what Alonso's problems at the plate are. It seems he's just trying to bludgeon the ball when not necessary.
When he first came up, he had major problems laying off the low outside pitch. He made adjustments and over the past two seasons seemed to have overcome that shortcoming. This year, he's taken a huge step back -- flailing aimlessly at the pitch. Naturally: he's getting a steady diet of low outside breaking stuff and I don't see any attempt at any kind of adjustment.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yea he's first in line behind the 2 HOFers

Despite his prety horrid season, I'd still take Matt Olson over him going forward.

Alonso the last 2 years is more comparable to someone like Christian Walker on ARI. Alonso is a Boras client so he's going most certainly going to test free agency.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Mets might have already gotten the most productive years Pete Alonso will ever produce. He’s been pretty underwhelming these past two seasons and will turn 30 in December.

You’re not getting any value from him in fielding or baserunning and he’s a future DH if there ever was one. And for a guy with his power profile he doesn’t really get on base as much as you’d want. He’s turned into a one trick pony with HR and he’s even been disappointing with that this season. If he isn’t going to hit 40+ HR every year then I’m not too thrilled about what to expect otherwise.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The Mets might have already gotten the most productive years Pete Alonso will ever produce. He’s been pretty underwhelming these past two seasons and will turn 30 in December.

You’re not getting any value from him in fielding or baserunning and he’s a future DH if there ever was one. And for a guy with his power profile he doesn’t really get on base as much as you’d want. He’s turned into a one trick pony with HR and he’s even been disappointing with that this season. If he isn’t going to hit 40+ HR every year then I’m not too thrilled about what to expect otherwise.
Agreed. In his best years, he was at least going with the pitch to RF.....now it's all or nothing -- mostly nothing.

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Oh no it's Gary Sanchez!

Reactions: Irishguy42

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Agreed. In his best years, he was at least going with the pitch to RF.....now it's all or nothing -- mostly nothing.
He's gotta get back to this, but everyone knows this. This is hitting 101.

I'm not a smart man, Jenny, but I know what making contact is.

To his credit, his defense has been stellar lately.

Reactions: majordomo

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Meeting some family at the Mets game and 7-train stations are down for maintenance.

The Mets play 81 road games, MTA.

If you are located anywhere near Penn or Grand Central, you have to take the LIRR there, it’s worth the few extra bucks compared to the subway. Been going to the US Open past week with it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you are located anywhere near Penn or Grand Central, you have to take the LIRR there, it’s worth the few extra bucks compared to the subway. Been going to the US Open past week with it.
Yeah, it's really set up for failure with one line going there.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
He's gotta get back to this, but everyone knows this. This is hitting 101.

I'm not a smart man, Jenny, but I know what making contact is.

To his credit, his defense has been stellar lately.
Unfortunately, this is not something that pure power hitters acclimate to because they don't equate "hitting for average" comparable to "moon shots." I may be wrong, but the last Met power hitter I remember being adept at it was Piazza.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Unfortunately, this is not something that pure power hitters acclimate to because they don't equate "hitting for average" comparable to "moon shots." I may be wrong, but the last Met power hitter I remember being adept at it was Piazza.
You're not wright here.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Alonso has the second highest contact% and second highest percent of balls hit to the opposite field of his career this year what are we even talking about.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Alonso has the second highest contact% and second highest percent of balls hit to the opposite field of his career this year what are we even talking about.

With a month to go he's rating worse in almost every major counting stat, than career averages.

He's about to have the 2nd most strikeouts in a season for his career and probably his 3rd lowest BA. When you factor in those numbers with your numbers, yeah, that's why everyone is talking about him.

Reactions: majordomo

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Credit to Rodon-he pitched his ass off tonight.Lets see what hilarious way the b.p blows it tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad