OT: MLB Thread 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gleyber/DJ/Verdugo heard people slandering them and decided they would come out of their slumber, in a game that really matters...*checks notes*...an August game against the Rockies.

Reactions: 17futurecap

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Stanton heating up behind Judge will do wonders for Judge getting pitched to…if he can only stay healthy now. The power vibe is contagious rn

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I'll repeat what has been said numerous times here already-Judge is a video game cheat

What's hilarious is Soto having his best season to date,and he won't even sniff a 1st place M.V.P vote

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Curious if soto would beat ohtani in MVP race with Dane stats in nl.

Most likely. He has the clear edge but still close enough where context could give it to Ohtani, like if Soto was putting up those numbers on the Miami Marlins or Pittsburgh Pirates, while Shohei carried the Dodgers to the best record in the league.

If Soto was still on San Diego and putting up identical numbers, MVP would be his.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most likely. He has the clear edge but still close enough where context could give it to Ohtani, like if Soto was putting up those numbers on the Miami Marlins or Pittsburgh Pirates, while Shohei carried the Dodgers to the best record in the league.

If Soto was still on San Diego and putting up identical numbers, MVP would be his.
Ohtani is kind of a darling, though. And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it.

Lionel Messi has 8 Ballon D'or's. He should probably have 5 or 6, but it got to the point where if he was anywhere in the discussion, he got it. You had to beat the pants off of him.

That's the vibe I get with Ohtani. If he's healthy and having a normal year, he's going to be tough to beat.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Lionel Messi has 8 Ballon D'or's. He should probably have 5 or 6, but it got to the point where if he was anywhere in the discussion, he got it. You had to beat the pants off of him.

That's the vibe I get with Ohtani. If he's healthy and having a normal year, he's going to be tough to beat.

You might be right, it's all moot outside this hypotehtical scenario anyway because no one is particularly close to him in the NL race at this point.

Also, now that I think about it, there's a good chance Ohtani gets 50/50 and even if Soto was carrying SD with the same numbers, I think 50/50 (although arbitraty but an extremely impressive and historic benchmark) would make him an undeniable MVP if he hit that.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Ohtani 50/50's it really doesn't matter what anyone else in the NL does or may have done had they stayed in the NL.

He'll win the MVP based on the rarity of that feat alone being that he will have been the only one to have ever done it.

It humors me that he would have been a perennial 40/40 guy had he not pitched as well. Not having to worry about being on the mound has only brought into focus the level of athlete this guy is.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

He's a DH though. He won his MVPs while he was also pitching. Not sure how much that plays into the voting but I think there are still some purists out there who don't like DHs winning MVP awards. I don't think it would have mattered last year but I think 2021 Vlad wins it if Ohtani isn't pitching. Admittedly hard to say that considering Ohtani won it unanimously though but I think that was mostly due to the uniqueness of what he accomplished.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
forget lindor winning mvp. his obp is under .350. the prevailing narrative remains that he is not living up to his contract and that as a leader of the team he bears great responsibility for the mets failures - especially last years selloff. for some reason, anti-ny bias perhaps, people around the league dislike him and think he's not great. mets fans can't even rally to vote him into ASG. many of them still don't really like him - they say he's overpaid, they still don't like the Baez thumbs down thing, they're just miserable cretins. See that human trashheap barstool frank.

ohtani is a face of the league. he's gonna win it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
forget lindor winning mvp. his obp is under .350. the prevailing narrative remains that he is not living up to his contract and that as a leader of the team he bears great responsibility for the mets failures - especially last years selloff. for some reason, anti-ny bias perhaps, people around the league dislike him and think he's not great. mets fans can't even rally to vote him into ASG. many of them still don't really like him - they say he's overpaid, they still don't like the Baez thumbs down thing, they're just miserable cretins. See that human trashheap barstool frank.

ohtani is a face of the league. he's gonna win it.

Theres no anti NY bias if he doesn't win.

Ohtani is the 6th player to 40/40 in baseball history. He's got a legitimate shot at being the first player to ever 50/50.

The rarity of his feat (x10000000 if he does 50/50) is going to win out. Not saying that its right but its just how it's going to go and how it always goes in sports.

See: Karlsson winning the Norris 2 years ago for putting up a 100+ point season.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Theres no anti NY bias if he doesn't win.

Ohtani is the 6th player to 40/40 in baseball history. He's got a legitimate shot at being the first player to ever 50/50.

The rarity of his feat (x10000000 if he does 50/50) is going to win out. Not saying that its right but its just how it's going to go and how it always goes in sports.

See: Karlsson winning the Norris 2 years ago for putting up a 100+ point season.
kindly reread my post. you seem to think that Im arguing that lindor should win - which i specifically didn't say. I certaindly didn't say that he won't win because of an anti ny bias.

What i said is that anti-ny bias may contribute to the fact that fans and media around the league see him in the context of a narrative that he underperforms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad