GDT: Prospect camp / GDT -- Camp opens 09/11 -- Games 09/14 and 09/15 against Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
Some takeaways, grain of salt, one game:
- Cowan is a player
- Minten looks improved. Always thought he was a 3C with the tools to maybe develop in to top 6. If you don’t like Minten, you don’t understand hockey.
- Quillan was a pleasant surprise. Nice skater, decent size. Tried to do too much at times. Looks like a future NHLer
- Greb seemed to get better as the game went on. Coming off an injury and to NA sized ice, he looked solid, think he continues to look better with time. Potential too 6 PF. Also looks like a future NHLer.
- Niemela was a pleasant surprise. Don’t watch much of the Marlies. He looked solid overall. Not overly small and already better first step than Sandin.
- Weber. So so. Can’t teach that size. Let him cook and see what you have.
- Chadwick. So so. Decent defensive play, he’s raw still.
- Biggest disappointment: Hirvonen. Didn’t see much there.

Was really hoping to see Big Ben play. Hope he’s okay.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So he was never drafted and got a contract as an undrafted player ... one of the won the lottery pick type of players that happens after the draft in the summer.

First year pro after player his overage year in OHL.

It would be great if he makes a career in hockey, but are we expecting anything beyond AHL?

Hey, a career in the AHL, for however long, is terrific.

How many 21 year olds would turn down 2 years in the AHL?

Don't think he said anything about his hockey career. Just that we need more players throwing their bodies a bit more.

Whether he makes it or not, kudos to him for at least trying in some capacity

Reactions: ULF_55

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You know Cowan and Minten are competitors just by their interviews. These guys are the type you want on your side when you go into a battle.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
Is there a way for those in a different time zone to watch the game back? Vimeo links from yesterday just point towards the second game now.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It will be interesting how they make way for the youngsters.

Minten and Grebs are probably in the NHL by next year at the latest.
When you sign over the hill guys like Pacorety? There us no chance for Cowan, Minten, Greb to make this team, no matter what words we hear from Berube and Tre. The mold is cast.
They call it competition! Add Lorentz who has no NHL level skill, Reaves, all which says bye bye to thrilling guys with desire, skill, effort, and passion.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some takeaways, grain of salt, one game:
- Cowan is a player
- Minten looks improved. Always thought he was a 3C with the tools to maybe develop in to top 6. If you don’t like Minten, you don’t understand hockey.
- Quillan was a pleasant surprise. Nice skater, decent size. Tried to do too much at times. Looks like a future NHLer
- Greb seemed to get better as the game went on. Coming off an injury and to NA sized ice, he looked solid, think he continues to look better with time. Potential too 6 PF. Also looks like a future NHLer.
- Niemela was a pleasant surprise. Don’t watch much of the Marlies. He looked solid overall. Not overly small and already better first step than Sandin.
- Weber. So so. Can’t teach that size. Let him cook and see what you have.
- Chadwick. So so. Decent defensive play, he’s raw still.
- Biggest disappointment: Hirvonen. Didn’t see much there.

Was really hoping to see Big Ben play. Hope he’s okay.

The one big thing I'll agree here is on Hirvonen. Last year was a rough one where he almost lost his eye apparently. But I hope he can somehow find another level at this level. A couple rookie tournament games isn't the best to do an evaluation but it would be nice to see him shine against some low level competition.

Niemela is a step above everyone defensively on that team. Chadwick was pretty good overall, I thought he did well. Webber is exactly who he is but will need a lot of time. I thought McCleary got active and was fun to watch, he reminded me of Dermott.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He had a strong pre-season last year but when regular season start it was an other story.

Will need more than a good pre-season to see Minten replace Kampf

lets the young win their spot and prove they are better than the guys already there...
Does it come down to whether Minten s better than Kampala r does it come down to whether the Leafs are better with Minten and 1.5M in cap space spent elsewhere than they are with Kampf?

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
When you sign over the hill guys like Pacorety? There us no chance for Cowan, Minten, Greb to make this team, no matter what words we hear from Berube and Tre. The mold is cast.
They call it competition! Add Lorentz who has no NHL level skill, Reaves, all which says bye bye to thrilling guys with desire, skill, effort, and passion.
That's assuming Pacioretty even earns a contract. I'm going to guess one of them earns a spot

Reactions: therealkoho

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
That's assuming Pacioretty even earns a contract. I'm going to guess one of them earns a spot
Who do they replace for 10 games. Robertson, Kampf trade, McMann, cap problems don't help without moving money.
Quinllian is a potential being more mature.
I would love to see them make it and make a difference. But this GM and coach are vets happy. Got to have the old bs line of trust off the puck. Pacority is the new Spezza, squealing to the GM.
Tre, like in Calgary believes in vets, thus we have Berube, and 3rd and 4th lines filled with vets.
We have terrible coaching at Marlies who have sent McMann up, who else?

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Who do they replace for 10 games. Robertson, Kampf trade, McMann, cap problems don't help without moving money.
Quinllian is a potential being more mature.
I would love to see them make it and make a difference. But this GM and coach are vets happy. Got to have the old bs line of trust off the puck. Pacority is the new Spezza, squealing to the GM.
Tre, like in Calgary believes in vets, thus we have Berube, and 3rd and 4th lines filled with vets.
We have terrible coaching at Marlies who have sent McMann up, who else?
Who do you have as your top 2 left wing?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
happy for minten, looks like a good kid too
even if he doesnt make it out of camp, i see a future for him at some point and contribute at a solid rate

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Does it come down to whether Minten s better than Kampala r does it come down to whether the Leafs are better with Minten and 1.5M in cap space spent elsewhere than they are with Kampf?

Sounds like a Poll question?

Would you rather the Leafs safely pursue a playoffs spot, or would you rather throw some risk into the season by employing prospects who are GOING TO make mistakes and perhaps cost some games?

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I absolutely loved that Minten chase down on the Hutson breakaway. The clear headedness after being several strides behind to make that play without taking a penalty and to turn around immediately and make the breakaway pass to Cowan was fantastic. Minten will never be a star but I love the way he thinks the game.

On the downside I don’t like how good Hutson looked. He’s gonna be dangerous.

Reactions: aingefan

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Who do you have as your top 2 left wing?
Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, and maybe Domi...you still have Dewar, Robertson, Holmberg (c)
Now Pacority, so you think Berube will trust Cowan to play 16 min minimum.
You have 2 apparently very good and responsible centres in Minten and Quillian, who will not see the light of day unless Kampf is traded, and Tre would fear that.
For the first time in 8 years we have a few (3) young players who could take the big step, but it appears they will not be allowed.
We also have 3 goalies...one needs to be traded. If they keep 3 it is cap hell again. Who? Woll better look sharp or he may be odd man out to vet coach.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, and maybe Domi...you still have Dewar, Robertson, Holmberg (c)
Now Pacority, so you think Berube will trust Cowan to play 16 min minimum.
You have 2 apparently very good and responsible centres in Minten and Quillian, who will not see the light of day unless Kampf is traded, and Tre would fear that.
For the first time in 8 years we have a few (3) young players who could take the big step, but it appears they will not be allowed.
We also have 3 goalies...one needs to be traded. If they keep 3 it is cap hell again. Who? Woll better look sharp or he may be odd man out to vet coach.
McMann, jarnkrok and domi aren't really clear cut top 6 guys. With all those options for left wing, why even bother trying out Pacioretty? They're all better options, what makes you think we'll even sign him?

Reactions: lowski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad