OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm not going to predict their careers, but the numbers are actually reversed in the comparison of the two, if we adjust for age and season.

It was Rosario who finished his 19yr old season with 0 homers in 395 ABs. Gimenez just had 6 homers in 445 AB this year (his 19 yr old season).

Rosario didn't show much power in the minors. He's always been bigger, 6'2 185lb for a SS is big, so people have predicted a power jump.

I would have to think Gimenez will be better defensively as Rosario really hasn’t panned out defensively as expected. I’ve said for awhile if we hadn’t gone from what we had before him fans would be outraged at how bad he is at short

Reactions: East Coast Bias

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I’m fine with it. Add a quality lefty and you probably have the best bullpen in the NL East. Lgugo/Gsellman, Familia, Diaz is pretty damn good. I saw somewhere that Familia’s numbers last year were on par with Robertson’s, who’s likely going to get more than Familia.
This is to me is the real difference between the Mets and Yankees. The Yanks trade Chapman as a rental and get one of the best prospects in baseball who essentially lives up to the hype, and re-sign him the following year. The Mets trade Familia as a rental for little more than lunch pool money. If he is worth the contract he just signed that underscores how bad the trade was last year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is to me is the real difference between the Mets and Yankees. The Yanks trade Chapman as a rental and get one of the best prospects in baseball who essentially lives up to the hype, and re-sign him the following year. The Mets trade Familia as a rental for little more than lunch pool money. If he is worth the contract he just signed that underscores how bad the trade was last year.

It was a terrible trade. They got a better player for Cabrera than they did for Familia.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It was a terrible trade. They got a better player for Cabrera than they did for Familia.

The market has been lousy at the deadline the last 2 years. The best guy the Mets likely got was the reliever for Duda

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Evidently somebody on metsrefugees forum is leaking info regarding the Mets and called the Familia signing hours in advance. If you all remember, that was the same forum where someone correctly leaked 36 hours in advance that Tavares was working on a contract with Toronto. They also supposedly said Rosario is not likely to be moved for Realmuto but Nimmo is. I’m not sure I like that any better because if Nimmo is moved the Mets outfield really sucks. And even if you do sign Pollock you probably need to still sign yet another guy after that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Evidently somebody on metsrefugees forum is leaking info regarding the Mets and called the Familia signing hours in advance. If you all remember, that was the same forum where someone correctly leaked 36 hours in advance that Tavares was working on a contract with Toronto. They also supposedly said Rosario is not likely to be moved for Realmuto but Nimmo is. I’m not sure I like that any better because if Nimmo is moved the Mets outfield really sucks. And even if you do sign Pollock you probably need to still sign yet another guy after that.
They could and should look at Michael Brantley.

Or they can ask for Clint Frazier as part of 3-team trade with yanks involved :naughty:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Been all over it.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Been all over it.

I just went over and read some of it. He may be legit because I also know someone who gets leaks and he’s been telling me Maldonado is almost a lock at this stage as it doesn’t appear Marlins are going to budge. I just don’t think you can start Maldonado though. If you want him vs speedy teams or when Noah starts that’s fine but D’arnaud has to be the primary starter otherwise

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’m surprised at the hype over Gimenez. Doesn’t the guy have like one homerun in hundreds of minor league ABs? I understand shortstop isn’t a power position but if the guy is sinply just very good defensively and is going to OPS 650 then you pretty much have to keep Rosario who has shown he may develop power
He had a 124 wRC+ in St. Lucie and then a 100 wRC+ in Binghamton, all at 19. The St. Lucie number is good and the Binghamton number is pretty good if you consider his age. It's all about projection with him. His bat is line drive, gap-to-gap right now, he has a good eyes, very good speed, and his fielding is somewhere between average and very good, depending on who you ask. So he's not any kind of mega-prospect, but I think he's someone who could totally slash .280/.350/.375 on a regular basis with good defense and base running. Not a star, but a potentially good starter. Like if it all worked out, he could be the good Jean Segura (not the 20 HR year); if not, Brandon Crawford with less defense? Somewhere in that range, IMO.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean the Cubs were going all-in on winning that WS, breaking the curse. And Chapman was/is a more dominant reliever than Familia. Even when Fam was on top of his game, I don't think anyone considered him in the same tier as Chapman. That's not to say the Mets trade of Familia was good, but I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison. The markets were different as well.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I just went over and read some of it. He may be legit because I also know someone who gets leaks and he’s been telling me Maldonado is almost a lock at this stage as it doesn’t appear Marlins are going to budge. I just don’t think you can start Maldonado though. If you want him vs speedy teams or when Noah starts that’s fine but D’arnaud has to be the primary starter otherwise

I’m nowhere near as down on D’Arnaud as the majority of Met fans. I know he’s injury-prone, but when he’s healthy, he hits.

Anthony Recker was on FAN yesterday and basically said Realmuto is being overvalued. He’s not the defensive upgrade over the current duo offers, so moving him for Nimmo or Conforto is a downgrade.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I mean the Cubs were going all-in on winning that WS, breaking the curse. And Chapman was/is a more dominant reliever than Familia. Even when Fam was on top of his game, I don't think anyone considered him in the same tier as Chapman. That's not to say the Mets trade of Familia was good, but I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison. The markets were different as well.
I'm not trying to suggest they're equal. If Chapman is considered an A and Familia a B, the Yanks resigned Chapman as an A reliever and the Mets resigned Familia as a B reliever. Yet when traded as a rental, the Yanks got a return of A while the Mets got a return of D-. Either the trade was bad, the new contract was bad or both. I'm leaning towards both.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Realmuto is being insanely overvalued. That's my problem with it. Its not an indictment on his very obvious talent, but twirling around some various package of Syndergaard/Rosario/Nimmo and only getting back Realmuto seems like an absolute pillage to me.

Reactions: nyr2k2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Rule 5 Draft Results

Major League phase

Round 1
10. Mets: RHP Kyle Dowdy (Indians)
12. D-backs: RHP Nick Green (Yankees)

Triple-A phase

Round 1
2. Royals: C Chris Rabago (Yankees)
9. Mets: LF Braxton Lee (Marlins No. 29)
11. Phillies: RHP Gilmael Troya (Yankees)
23. Yankees: RHP Adonis De La Cruz (Mariners)
25. Red Sox: RHP Anyelo Gomez (Yankees)

Round 2
27. Mets: RHP Chris Mazza (Mariners)
35. A's: CF Mark Payton (Yankees)

Round 3
37. Mets: C Mitch Ghelfi (Angels)
40. Cubs: RHP Alexander Vargas (Yankees)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think there are two different scenarios that will eventually happen for the Yankees.

1. Cashman coups prospects from the Gray trade and uses them to acquire Kluber.

Or...

2. Cashman trades for Bumgarner at the deadline for a package of mid-level prospects.

It seems like he's hellbent on keep depth in the minors, but a decent to good return on Gray would allow him to make a deal for Kluber. Especially if they can lessen the return by taking Kipnis from them.

My other school of thought is that the price is too high on Kluber regardless and Cashman thinks he has an absolute stud in Florial, refusing to move him and would rather just add depth at the deadline, in which Bumgarner is almost guaranteed to be available. I know I'll see responses along the lines of "San Francisco will compete" or "who says they'll be out, it's no guarantee." Let me ask this question... if San Fran was dead set and all-in on going for it now, why haven't they...

1. Made any moves yet to improve the team? You know they're not beating LA or Colorado to win that division. Although they're probably better than Arizona as we speak.

2. Why hasn't Bumgarner been re-signed yet? They're not winning it all anytime soon without him and I doubt any of the Aces that are slated to be free agents in 2019 want to play for an organization that doesn't have a clear cut direction right now.

Just things to think about.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
2. Why hasn't Bumgarner been re-signed yet? They're not winning it all anytime soon without him and I doubt any of the Aces that are slated to be free agents in 2019 want to play for an organization that doesn't have a clear cut direction right now.
Bumgarner is a bigger icon in SF than Wilmer is in Queens.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’m nowhere near as down on D’Arnaud as the majority of Met fans. I know he’s injury-prone, but when he’s healthy, he hits.
IDK, man. The injury thing is too big to look past, for me. He has averaged 73 games since his first full year. He can't even be counted on for half a season. His arm is terrible. The last time he posted a wRC+ over 100 was 2015. I'm not really sure what anyone would expect from him at this point. And given he's now, astonishingly, 30 years old, I wouldn't expect anything to get better.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Deleted member 23124

Just getting him off this team was good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad