OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
IDK, man. The injury thing is too big to look past, for me. He has averaged 73 games since his first full year. He can't even be counted on for half a season. His arm is terrible. The last time he posted a wRC+ over 100 was 2015. I'm not really sure what anyone would expect from him at this point. And given he's now, astonishingly, 30 years old, I wouldn't expect anything to get better.
d'Arnaud has never played 200 games in consecutive seasons. That streak will continue even if he plays every game this season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
IDK, man. The injury thing is too big to look past, for me. He has averaged 73 games since his first full year. He can't even be counted on for half a season. His arm is terrible. The last time he posted a wRC+ over 100 was 2015. I'm not really sure what anyone would expect from him at this point. And given he's now, astonishingly, 30 years old, I wouldn't expect anything to get better.
Wow, 30 kind of blows my mind......would have guessed 26 or so, but yeah.......cant "expect" him to be healthy at 30, when he couldnt even stay on the field prior to. Anyway, who knows, really? Catching is tough, really tough......and I also believe he would hit with decent power, decent ribby's and average not so much......but, lets face it, he will never be a Jerry Grote.
Point i am really trying to get at here......is I would rather take my chances on him staying healthy than giving up Noah for Realmuto and whatever else comes with. MUTO could get injured the same and then where will we be? Noah is primed for an outstanding season, somewhat similar to deGrom. Book it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I like d'Arnaud but I have 0 expectations anymore.

He is constantly injured. CONSTANTLY. And when he does play he isn't particularly good.

Caught lightning in a bottle during that stretch run of 2015 where he was awesome but those are memories at this point.

Reactions: Crease and nyr2k2

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I’m surprised at the hype over Gimenez. Doesn’t the guy have like one homerun in hundreds of minor league ABs? I understand shortstop isn’t a power position but if the guy is sinply just very good defensively and is going to OPS 650 then you pretty much have to keep Rosario who has shown he may develop power

He had 6 last season and more than held his own as a 19 year old in High A and AA. His game is based around his plus bat speed and excellent plate discipline.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I didnt say YANKEES! Who put that in there? In fact, he had better not get traded (3 way trade or otherwise) to the Yankees. I am tired of losing quality pitchers to them......Cone, Gooden and maybe now Noah? Can't have it. I dont care WHO they get back. Dont want Realmuto, but i have to admit that Andujar kid excites me as Frazier sucks.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Grandal and Pollock?

Rosario
Pollock
Cano
Cespedes
Conforto
Grandal
Frazier
McNeil ....Alonso
Nimmo / Lagares
Plawecki / Darnaud

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Where is that one dude who thinks the luxury tax is this huge deal?

Wasn't me but I think you're missing the fact that the tax gets larger each time you exceed the threshold (in consecutive yeas). It's 22.5% the 1st time, then 30%, 40% and 50%. The Sox exceeded the threshhold by ~ $50 million and unless they shed salary the tax will go up the following years. If the Yanks are at the threshold and sign 2 $25 million players for 5 years to get the same overage, the total tax would be (I think) $100 million on the $250 million total (40%). That's like signing those players to $35 million contracts. So $12 million might not sound like much to you but the multi-year escalation is I'm sure what Cashman is concerned about (as well as having to pay Judge and Severino). Signing 2 $300 million contracts (30X10) would put the Yanks in uncharted waters since the CBA will expire long before those contracts and the new CBA could be even more punitive or could provide relief.

Also, your draft position drops.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't see the Yankees being seriously in on Realmuto.

This is the team that said this winter "Andujar is our third baseman" and I'm supposed to believe they would move Gary??

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't think Yankees/Mets can match the realistic pieces the Braves will be willing to give up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That's a good deal. I would think they are done for the most part this offseason? Already signed Familia as well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's a good deal. I would think they are done for the most part this offseason? Already signed Familia as well.

They really like Pollock and this deal makes it easier to fit him in. They also want a leftyy in the bullpen, and I've rumors about a return of Ollie Perez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad