OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
So this makes sense as to why people love Machado, but aren't Stanton's numbers still good?

122 wRC+, .350 wOBA and .261 avg with RISP (right in line with his regular average) tells me he is a very good player as well?

Yes those are still good numbers but not as good as Machado's who is a better situational hitter.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So this makes sense as to why people love Machado, but aren't Stanton's numbers still good?

122 wRC+, .350 wOBA and .261 avg with RISP (right in line with his regular average) tells me he is a very good player as well?

Stanton’s weakness is that the guy has epic slumps beyond what most generally imagine as a slump. When he goes into one he can literally strike out in 60-70% of his at bats over the course of 3 weeks to a month. He did it last year and he had a similar slump in 2017 with Miami. I believe in a 4 game series vs the Mets he went 0 for 17 with 14 strikeouts. That’s usually enough to damage his stat line severely for a season and if it happens to come in October you are screwed. I can’t think of any player whose slumps are as bad as his. Duda had severe slumps and Cliff Floyd used to as well but I don’t recall them ever getting to the point where if you simply needed a fly ball or a grounder to the right side that they became incapable of it for weeks. I would still take Stanton on my team every day regardless

Reactions: NYR Viper

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Stanton’s weakness is that the guy has epic slumps beyond what most generally imagine as a slump. When he goes into one he can literally strike out in 60-70% of his at bats over the course of 3 weeks to a month. He did it last year and he had a similar slump in 2017 with Miami. I believe in a 4 game series vs the Mets he went 0 for 17 with 14 strikeouts. That’s usually enough to damage his stat line severely for a season and if it happens to come in October you are screwed. I can’t think of any player whose slumps are as bad as his. Duda had severe slumps and Cliff Floyd used to as well but I don’t recall them ever getting to the point where if you simply needed a fly ball or a grounder to the right side that they became incapable of it for weeks. I would still take Stanton on my team every day regardless
I agree with this for the most part. I have never seen a supposedly elite player look as bad as Stanton does at times. When he is in one of his slumps, he looks like he's never hit a baseball before. It's mind boggling. He hits home runs. I find every other part of his game underwhelming.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I agree with this for the most part. I have never seen a supposedly elite player look as bad as Stanton does at times. When he is in one of his slumps, he looks like he's never hit a baseball before. It's mind boggling.

I don’t even think Judge’s 2017 slump was as bad as any of Stanton's and it was darn bad

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Let's be fair here. Stanton's worst month last year he had a 97 wRC+ which is barely below average.

Machado had a 61 wRC+ in May 2017 and a 53 in Sept/Oct 2017.

To say Stanton goes into huge slumps and Machado doesn't is just plain wrong.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and darko

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Let's be fair here. Stanton's worst month last year he had a 97 wRC+ which is barely below average.

Machado had a 61 wRC+ in May 2017 and a 53 in Sept/Oct 2017.

To say Stanton goes into huge slumps and Machado doesn't is just plain wrong.
To be honest, I'm not that enamored with Machado either. But at least he provides gold glove caliber defense at a more important position and I believe that he would provide better at bats in big spots.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We should be signing:

Happ
Britton
Ottavino
Machado
Miller (if possible which i think it is to bring in 3 relievers).
Backup INF possibly otherwise its Wade.

Ultimately I wanted to trade Andujar for an SP only because you could sign Manny for 3B, Gleyber to SS, then sign Murphy for 2B. Slide Murphy to 1B when Didi comes back

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Stanton's numbers are good. Don't listen to the haters.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every tweet that comes out says something to the effect of "the Yankees have talked but it didn't really go anywhere because they won't agree on a price."

We're prospect hugging again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad