OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

That's a couple people saying Thor is unlikely to go in this deal. Which makes sense. Seems like the Mets could get Realmuto without Syndergaard being involved at all, if they want, and then they could theoretically use him for something else (though acquiring Realmuto leaves some need at CF but not really anywhere else).

Having Thor in a Realmuto deal just doesn't make sense. He's arguably the most valuable piece, so to package him for any one other player would be crazy.

Actually after reading that Tweet I actually think moving Thor makes more sense then it did before.

Im far from a Rosario fan but Rosario+Nimmo is a pretty decent start to a nice haul, thats 2 major league players who the Mets would have to replace. I've sene Pollock thrown around but hes not a safe bet to stay healthy at all.

Those are every day guys and young ones, one is well above average/All Star Quality already. As talented as Thor is, that arm is a ticking time bomb. I don't think they want a replay of the Harvey situation (yes I know there were extra circumstances there, but they literally let him break down to the point where they got virtually nothing for him in return.)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, the reality is there is no more Evil Empire. There's so much money in the game that there are quite a few teams that can spend huge amounts of money. Even though there's no cap, it will probably get to be like hockey where while not every team has the financial might to carry a high payroll, everyone can conceivably compete, and there will always be a few teams that can attract and pay for the big-ticket guys.

Reactions: darko

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah the upgrade from our current C's to Realmuto would be huge. The downgrade from Nimmo to Pollock would also be large, but probably not as big as the improvement on the other side.

There's also stuff out there saying the Mets were talking to the Rangers, about pitching (from us) and outfielders (from them). So the Mets have a million things going on. That's why no one should get too bent out of shape about any single tweet--I've read BVW has a ton of things he's juggling and that definitely seems to be the case. Unless something comes out as "imminent," I wouldn't get too excited.

I'll give BVW credit, people worried he couldn't manage a front office. He's been filling the coaching staff and working a ton of trade possibilities, in a short period. He seems to be acquitting himself well.

Count me as one who was worried about him, but I guess he does have a ton of contacts given his history.

With the downgrade to Pollock, if he stays healthy I don't see a downgrade in fact its an upgrade. But I give him a 25% chance staying healthy a full year. But then you have Lagares to fill in and spell him so I kinda like the option there.

I'm sure a lot of the tweets we're seeing are smoke and mirrors. With that much on the table BVW is prolly trying to drive prices up.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Actually after reading that Tweet I actually think moving Thor makes more sense then it did before.

Im far from a Rosario fan but Rosario+Nimmo is a pretty decent start to a nice haul, thats 2 major league players who the Mets would have to replace. I've sene Pollock thrown around but hes not a safe bet to stay healthy at all.

Those are every day guys and young ones, one is well above average/All Star Quality already. As talented as Thor is, that arm is a ticking time bomb. I don't think they want a replay of the Harvey situation (yes I know there were extra circumstances there, but they literally let him break down to the point where they got virtually nothing for him in return.)
I would not be opposed to moving Thor, but I'd really only be interested in doing it if the Mets were getting back young pieces and a young arm. Like say they get Realmuto without him--are they really going to go for a CF using Thor? If so, he needs to be young, cheap, controllable, and part of a package that brings back some other young talent. Not for an older, established guy. Not interested in that.

Doesn't mean the Mets will do it my way, though. :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

If true, our options are dwindling. Have to think, or hope, Cash is all in on one of Kluber/Bauer/Thor. Keuchel is not an acceptable add.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yeah, the reality is there is no more Evil Empire. There's so much money in the game that there are quite a few teams that can spend huge amounts of money. Even though there's no cap, it will probably get to be like hockey where while not every team has the financial might to carry a high payroll, everyone can conceivably compete, and there will always be a few teams that can attract and pay for the big-ticket guys.
The Dodgers are the team that are closest to that title and it hurts as a Yankee fan.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Dodgers are the team that are closest to that title and it hurts as a Yankee fan.
Yeah, understandable. That will probably be the thing moving forward--investment groups buying teams dumping their obscene wealth into thenlm, instead of single/majority owner franchises with one "face of the franchise." I mean it's already happening I feel like, and probably will continue. In 50 years all the teams will probably be owned by groups of hedge fund managers or something.

Reactions: Cassano

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hopefully after all this Realmuto talk, the Mets go sign Ramos or Grandal this week, the Yankees move onto other things, and the Marlins are left desperate trying to peddle him. f*** that organization.

Reactions: jas

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hopefully after all this Realmuto talk, the Mets go sign Ramos or Grandal this week, the Yankees move onto other things, and the Marlins are left desperate trying to peddle him. **** that organization.

Watch Marlins win a WS before Yankees/Mets.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It’s amazing how much Nimmo is getting underrated, even by his own fanbase. Go sign Grandal.
Nimmo is great and I really want to keep him around. However, I do wonder if he'll be able to repeat the power. His HR/FB was almost 18% and a lot higher than ever before. Accordinly, his ISO was dramatically higher than it has ever been before at any level. I mean his 17 homers were almost as many as he hit at all levels in 2016 and 2017 combined. Finally, his BABIP was also very high at .351. So, I'm not totally sold on the great offensive numbers being sustainable.

I think he probably ends up more as a 2.5-3.5 WAR player rather than the 4-5 WAR player he was last season. Steamer projects him at 2.4 WAR next year. Just a projection though! He could be a late bloomer, which would make sense given his background. I want to keep him, but if he's the centerpiece for an established star, I'd be okay moving him.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Nimmo is great and I really want to keep him around. However, I do wonder if he'll be able to repeat the power. His HR/FB was almost 18% and a lot higher than ever before. Accordinly, his ISO was dramatically higher than it has ever been before at any level. I mean his 17 homers were almost as many as he hit at all levels in 2016 and 2017 combined. Finally, his BABIP was also very high at .351. So, I'm not totally sold on the great offensive numbers being sustainable.

I think he probably ends up more as a 2.5-3.5 WAR player rather than the 4-5 WAR player he was last season. Steamer projects him at 2.4 WAR next year. Just a projection though! He could be a late bloomer, which would make sense given his background. I want to keep him, but if he's the centerpiece for an established star, I'd be okay moving him.

3rd best OPS+ in the NL last year. .400 OBP. And yet, he gets tossed around like he’s an add-on. Him and Conforto should anchor that OF for the next five years. And the dumbass manager should be leading him off and put Rosario in the 8 hole. There’s a lot of stupid around the Mets right now.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
3rd best OPS+ in the NL last year. .400 OBP. And yet, he gets tossed around like he’s an add-on. Him and Conforto should anchor that OF for the next five years. And the dumbass manager should be leading him off and put Rosario in the 8 hole. There’s a lot of stupid around the Mets right now.
I mean I understand his numbers from last year. His OBP will always be high. His underlying numbers suggest, to me anyway, that the power may not be repeatable. But again, who knows, maybe it is. That's all I was saying.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I mean I understand his numbers from last year. His OBP will always be high. His underlying numbers suggest, to me anyway, that the power may not be repeatable. But again, who knows, maybe it is. That's all I was saying.

You’re just giving me a chance to vent at the stupidity I’m seeing and hearing. This isn’t directed at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad