OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My bad. I meant he was supposedly the one making those decisions. It could be a media thing as he was the one answering the questions as I recall. I never said Andujar was a bad player, just that he doesn't make sense for the Marlins, IMO. But the Yankees wouldn't be looking to trade him if he was in their long term plans. Torres is so he's ruled out of any trade.

No, thats not how it works.

If you get an unforeseen opportunity, you'd be a fool not to change course.

How doesn't it make sense for the Marlins? Outside of his defensive issues which can more or less be lessened by moving him off 3rd? His bat plays in that park.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Salaries have risen significantly. So to say that you can get by for 14 years is not really accurate.

There is zero chance he does that as no one will give him such a contract again, or even one that averages out to the same amount of dollars per year.

Revenue has risen significantly as well, so saying that the Yankees cannot afford to go over the tax threshold is not really accurate either. Again, at the start of last year, 26.8% of revenue to payroll, second lowest in MLB. There was a reason for that with the Yankees trying to get under the threshold. The year before they were 23rd in league at 36.7%. The question going forward is what percentage are they willing to go to in the future? For reference the median the last couple of years has been around 45%. Based on flat revenue gain from 2017 (not likely), tax threshold in 2019 (202 mil) and the 1.5 multiple on salary over threshold, that would bring their proposed payroll to 254 mil. Not saying they should/would/could do it. It's not my franchise. As a fan, of course I'd love to see them spend and spend wisely. They don't have to and they have their reasons.

Re: Stanton. So salaries are significantly rising but Stanton's has no chance. Never said it was likely but the next couple of years will be telling. If he puts up 5.5+ WAR each year then it's not likely but possible. I didn't think any team would throw 6 years and 140 mil (23 mil/per year) at Patrick Corbin, but as you said, salaries are significantly rising.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
No, thats not how it works.

If you get an unforeseen opportunity, you'd be a fool not to change course.

How doesn't it make sense for the Marlins? Outside of his defensive issues which can more or less be lessened by moving him off 3rd? His bat plays in that park.
It's easy to say you can move someone to another position but Andujar hasn't played anything but 3B at any pro level AFAIK. As far as how his bat plays in Marlins Park, that really wasn't my point. Defense tends to be valued more in a pitchers park.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's easy to say you can move someone to another position but Andujar hasn't played anything but 3B at any pro level AFAIK. As far as how his bat plays in Marlins Park, that really wasn't my point. Defense tends to be valued more in a pitchers park.

1B is a much easier position to play, its why they usually stick people there who can't play anywhere else if need be.

You're stretching so hard with the second point. Half of their games will be played outside of there, his bat plays anywhere, to the point where he's a plus player despite historically bad defense.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Andujar's bat to ball ability is pretty damn near elite. His bat should play at any park and in any lineup. From Mike Axisa at RAB:
This season Andujar pounded 47 doubles and 27 homers with a 16.0% strikeout rate and a 9.6% swing and miss rate, both of which are quite a bit better than the league average (22.3% and 10.7%). Fourteen qualified hitters paired a .230 ISO with a sub-10.0% swing-and-miss rate this season, and they’re basically the 13 best hitters in baseball (Mookie Betts, Mike Trout, Christian Yelich, Jose Ramirez, etc.) and Miguel Andujar.

His defense though....he doesn't have the instincts at third. His reads off the bat are horrible which kills his range and messes up his footwork. He tends to double clutch on the throw which makes him hurry it and kills his accuracy/time to first.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
1B is a much easier position to play, its why they usually stick people there who can't play anywhere else if need be.

Agreed. Obviously good defensive 1B are good but I always get a kick out of the premise for other guys.

DH who now has to play the field? First base.

Catcher who needs a day off behind the plate? First base.

Surplus outfielder? First base.

Wilmer Flores? First base.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I’d take shot on Troy on the Mets. Then deal Rosario, Kay and another prospect for Realmuto, and sign Pollock.

C. JT Realmuto
1B. Peter Alonso
2B. Robinson Cano
SS. Troy Tulowitzki
3B. Jeff McNeil
RF. Michael Conforto
CF. AJ Pollock
LF. Brandon Nimmo

Jacob DeGrom
Noah Syndergaard
Zack Wheeler

Nice mix of hitters and elite pitching would contend in the NL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know he showed some signs of life later in the season, but I have serious, serious doubts that Rosario is ever anything more than a league average hitter.

Seems like moving him would be a no brainer. Syndergaard has his issues too, but assuming that they both stay on the field his impact should be much greater, especially in the short term.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Trading Syndergaard is brutal no matter what, that's a horrible move to even consider.

For Marlins it makes sense. They want to build their offense around a young piece like Andujar, something which the Mets aren't willing to offer. Rosario isn't nearly enough to part with the best catcher in the league.

Just don't get why they won't just keep Syndergaard and sign Ramos or Grandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad