• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did I say that? No, just more BS selective framing, coming from the frantic pitchfork crowd. Jesus the lengths you go to...
Did you watch the series? If yes, paraphrase what you saw from Marner.

What most saw.

Going into the playoffs he desperately needed to prove that previous years were behind him and he was going to show us that he was a better player than what we’ve seen.

What we got was a few flashes, but overall he was bad. He looked disinterested and wasn’t able or willing to sacrifice himself to do what it takes to win. Case in point, that give away behind the net. That was only one play, but you don’t get a lot of opportunities in the playoffs, so you have to dig in.

Basically, if it’s easy, he’s terrific, but if it’s difficult, he doesn’t step up. That has to change next year.

I think he played to his best ability on that night, I don’t for a second believe the disinterested, he is scared he is upset he isn’t making more comments. Maybe he made a bad decision maybe he didn’t I, maybe in hindsight he may have made different decisions. All in all I think he is a great asset to the team and we would be worse without him.
If that’s the best of his ability he needs to take a serious pay cut.

I don’t believe for a minute that’s best he can be.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Anyone know anything about high ankle sprains?

Agreed, McDavid was invisible.
Crosby missed most of the season with one. Marner’s leg was still black and blue when he met with Berube over a week after the season ended.

Did you watch the series? If yes, paraphrase what you saw from Marner.

What most saw.

Going into the playoffs he desperately needed to prove that previous years were behind him and he was going to show us that he was a better player than what we’ve seen.

What we got was a few flashes, but overall he was bad. He looked disinterested and wasn’t able or willing to sacrifice himself to do what it takes to win. Case in point, that give away behind the net. That was only one play, but you don’t get a lot of opportunities in the playoffs, so you have to dig in.

Basically, if it’s easy, he’s terrific, but if it’s difficult, he doesn’t step up. That has to change next year.

If that’s the best of his ability he needs to take a serious pay cut.

don’t believe for a minute that’s best he can be.
It was that night, which is all I’m saying, I have no doubt he gave all he had at the time.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kessel was out of shape? Have you ever seen the guy in shorts? He's got legs like tree trunks. Again you show ignorance with your superficial knowledge (I use the word knowledge very lightly) of the game. It's clear you've never played the game and its even more clear you've never had skates on your feet.

Mitch cant play hockey? 90 points all day baby!!!

Since the 2016-17 season = top 10 in scoring with the lowest PP time of anyone in the top 10.

OverallTime on Ice
RkNameBornPosGPGAPPIM+/-TOIESPPSH
1Connor McDavid1997F60031961593423115021:5417:453:310:36
2Leon Draisaitl1995F6103264647902827421:1416:563:300:46
3Nathan MacKinnon1995F57327647074626813821:1617:043:510:20
4Nikita Kucherov1993F5142524727242608520:0016:163:430:01
5Artemi Panarin1991F59223546970417414819:5016:303:180:01
6David Pastrnak1996F57732335167427212618:4915:203:260:01
7Sidney Crosby1987F5652544046582716920:1816:343:310:12
8Auston Matthews1997F56236828164911414019:4716:392:580:08
9Brad Marchand1988F57524839264061715419:1514:203:141:40
10Mitchell Marner1997F57619444563918411019:5115:312:531:26
1720888631381.png

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Crosby missed most of the season with one. Marner’s leg was still black and blue when he met with Berube over a week after the season ended.

It was that night, which is all I’m saying, I have no doubt he gave all he had at the time.

Marner was recovering from a high ankle sprain during the playoffs? Really? He said nothing about it? Is that a bruise on his right leg or a shadow? For a player like Marner who is known for his skating ability, his quick and explosive moves, sudden cut backs, high agility moves in small spaces, would this impact his ability to perform at an elite level like he did for the previous 2 playoffs?

Looks painful. For a guy to play through that sort of pain ( I can relate I had a nasty ankle sprain many years ago but mine was a normal one not a high one) to try and help the team, you have to be a selfless team first person.

Creation-sans-titre-26-800x450.jpg

Jesus he is such a monster his quads rip spandex when he flexes.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Didn’t at all look disinterested to me. I would have thought McDavid could have dug down deep and got at least one point in the biggest game of his life but he must have been disinterested

This is nonsensical and disingenuous...you're comparing McDavid who broke Gretzky's 36 year record for single-season playoff assists, took his team to game 7 of the Finals, won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort to...round-one wonderboy Mitch Marner...it's laughable...I guess you thought Marner was amazing against the Panthers last year.

If Marner carried the Leafs like that, he would be revered like Gilmour.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This is nonsensical and disingenuous...you're comparing McDavid who broke Gretzky's 36 year record for single-season playoff assists, took his team to game 7 of the Finals, won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort to...round-one wonderboy Mitch Marner...it's laughable...I guess you thought Marner was amazing against the Panthers last year.

Interesting how Marner's filter is narrowed to a few games, while other players you have to take in the full picture to assess their performance... I see... different rules for different players ... the science put into these comparisons are fascinating....

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner was recovering from a high ankle sprain during the playoffs? Really? He said nothing about it? Is that a bruise on his right leg or a shadow? For a player like Marner who is known for his skating ability, his quick and explosive moves, sudden cut backs, high agility moves in small spaces, would this impact his ability to perform at an elite level like he did for the previous 2 playoffs?

Looks painful. For a guy to play through that sort of pain ( I can relate I had a nasty ankle sprain many years ago but mine was a normal one not a high one) to try and help the team, you have to be a selfless team first person.

Creation-sans-titre-26-800x450.jpg

Jesus he is such a monster his quads rip spandex when he flexes.
Yup.. fortunately for you your credibility isnt going down from all these ridiculous comments. You need to have credibility for it to go down. People will just eventually start ignoring you.

Reactions: ToneDog

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Try 8 playoff failures and not living up to expectations.
That applies to matthews more than anyone. This is his team. He has trouble elevating his game to the next level in the playoffs.
Also applies to nylander Tavares Reilly
8 playoff failures with them all
Must only be marners fault

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Yup.. fortunately for you your credibility isnt going down from all these ridiculous comments. You need to have credibility for it to go down. People will just eventually start ignoring you.

I know right, shame on me for framing all of my factual statements with ...uh.. facts... Is being ignored a bad thing? One can only wish you will start ignoring me... you're like 0 for 50 when it comes to making a cogent point.

On 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman shared a great story of Kessel getting great revenge on a teammate during a BioSteel camp years ago.
”One player came out of the gym swearing and annoyed. Kessel was reading a magazine while everyone else sweated away, and this player (who prefers to remain anonymous) asked if Kessel was going to bother joining everyone,” Friedman wrote.
Friedman continued:
”Kessel replied, “Want to see what I can do?” He proceeded to destroy everyone else in the leg press, and went back to the magazine.”

Tree trunks!

That applies to matthews more than anyone. This is his team. He has trouble elevating his game to the next level in the playoffs.

Gotta be, Marner played 60 minutes every game all all 6 positions at the same time and coached.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Why won’t you gives us your opinion of how Marner played in the series?

Ray Ferraro, who was at ice level, said he looked disinterested . What were your thoughts at the conclusion of the series?

Undeniably, Matthews is the biggest reason they haven’t won anything.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Interesting how Marner's filter is narrowed to a few games, while other players you have to take in the full picture to assess their performance... I see... different rules for different players ... the science put into these comparisons are fascinating....
Compared only to Marner, what is your overall opinion of Marner’s play in the past two playoffs?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

If any Leafs had a playoffs with the Leafs like McD just did with the Oilers.
He will have a statue at Legends Row by now, lol.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The fact that Treliving isn't taking some heat off Marner, shows that he likely wants him gone. Marner closing off the media, is also an indication that something is happening behind the scenes.

While Edmonton is flourishing, the Leafs situation looks progressively worse and worse.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Did Marner have a high ankle sprain the past 7 playoff years as well?
Each playoffs the Marner supporters speculate he's injured, but each year no news of injury. Then the supporters ignore the fact that they thought he played bad enough to be injured.... and the excuse becomes his linemates didn't finish ALL Marners setups and the goalies were all world.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Dude you lose all credibility when you use McDavid to defend Marner in the playoffs. That MOFO dragged a team with a goalie and defense as bad as ours to game #7 of the SCF. Mitch dragged the Leafs to the first tee.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Dude you lose all credibility when you use McDavid to defend Marner in the playoffs. That MOFO dragged a team with a goalie and defense as bad as ours to game #7 of the SCF. Mitch dragged the Leafs to the first tee.

It's not me that framed games 5,6,7 as the only games that count, so you are saying that there is more to a player than just 3 isolated games every series? this pitch fork crowd cant even agree upon what is and isn't relevant... talk amongst yourselves and then come back to us on what you feel is important...it's really a just a simple binary choice.

Clearly you are saying Knoblauch, Hyman, Draisaitl, Ekholm and Bouchard had nothing to do with the Oilers playoff performance? Gotch ya.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

After awhile a fellow learns to fight fire with fire…. Have you read the crap posted about Mitch?

Reactions: francis246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad