Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide Pt. 2

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
“The largest indoor pickleball + golf complex in the US” is quite the specific flex.

Yeah, the "pickleball+golf" allowed them make that statement.

Even so, with how much growth there is in pickleball these days, even that specific flex won't likely last long. Not long ago, I read that there was an old mall in GA converted to an indoor pickleball facility with something like 32 courts. This facility in Raleigh has 1/2 the number of courts.

There was another facility of Tennis and Pickleball and other racquet sports with something like 80 courts that was supposedly in the works near Brier Creek. I thought was set to open in 2024 but haven't heard much about it in a while so maybe it's delayed.

I don't play pickleball, but I know a lot of people that do. IIRC, Tom Dundon is into it. It used to be considered a sport for old people, but I've read the average age is now 35.

Reactions: DaveG

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Yeah, the "pickleball+golf" allowed them make that statement.

Even so, with how much growth there is in pickleball these days, even that specific flex won't likely last long. Not long ago, I read that there was an old mall in GA converted to an indoor pickleball facility with something like 32 courts. This facility in Raleigh has 1/2 the number of courts.

There was another facility of Tennis and Pickleball and other racquet sports with something like 80 courts that was supposedly in the works near Brier Creek. I thought was set to open in 2024 but haven't heard much about it in a while so maybe it's delayed.

I don't play pickleball, but I know a lot of people that do. IIRC, Tom Dundon is into it. It used to be considered a sport for old people, but I've read the average age is now 35.
Pickleball.com, a new one-stop website backed by Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, launched on Friday “with a goal of uniting everyone from beginners to pros” in the burgeoning sport, according to Alexandra Skores of the DALLAS MORNING NEWS. The site “will help casual players pick a paddle or find a local court,” while also “giving more serious fans live coverage of the Professional Pickleball Association.” Dundon, an avid pickleball player, is backing it through his Dundon Capital Partners firm. The website “will gather data and content” from companies such as the PPA Tour, Pickleball Tournaments and Pickleball Brackets, TopCourt and Pickleball Central.

Last year, Dundon’s firm "made a majority investment" in Pickleball Central, an e-commerce platform, and equipment maker Pickle-Ball Inc. The firm “also acquired a majority stake" in the PPA this year.

The new site "will fully launch in January with a tournament platform, ratings, league and ladder management, expanded new player resources, court scheduling and amateur highlights." Players can "sign up on the site for a free account to get updates, including the pickleball.com mobile app launching later in October" (DALLAS MORNING NEWS, 10/8).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Now that I know it exists, I don't know why I didn't think of a putt-putt bar and grill combo.

My guess is it's probably because the last time I played putt-putt I couldn't legally drink yet. But still, damn missed opportunity.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Now that I know it exists, I don't know why I didn't think of a putt-putt bar and grill combo.

My guess is it's probably because the last time I played putt-putt I couldn't legally drink yet. But still, damn missed opportunity.
When I was in college, one local bar bought the attached building next door and put in a laundry mat. It was always packed as there were two colleges in town so students would hang out and drink while doing laundry.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hey guys, I know the Hurricanes play in Raleigh, North Carolina, and I know this thread is meant specifically for the Raleigh area, but I figured I'd try my luck anyway. I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with South Carolina at all, specifically the Charleston and Greenville areas.

This coming winter, I'm going to be taking a trip to SC, and I'll be spending a vast majority of the time in the Charleston area, Summerville specifically. First and foremost, if there is anyone here familiar with this area, is there anything you'd recommend I do/try/eat while I'm there? I've been doing my own research for months so I have a lot of the basics and the popular stuff that Google returns, but if anyone has some more hidden gem recommendations that would be awesome. I'll be there for a little over a month, so plenty of time to do different things.

Secondly, assuming I'm not miserable during my vacation there, I'm looking into a move to SC next year. I've primarily been looking at the Greenville and Charleston metro areas. Does anyone have any insight/recommendations/anything on living in these areas? I'm a pretty big suburbs guy, I like having nice grocery stores, places like Target, some shopping options, and lots of options for food, both chains and non-chains. I also like having some forms of entertainment, but not necessarily night life, I'm not a big club/bar guy. I work remotely, so don't need to worry about a commute and the job market isn't super important to me either. From what I've seen in my research, I like the idea of the Simpsonville or Taylors areas in Greenville, and Summerville/Goose Creek in Charleston. Am I on the right track there?

If I'm off base here and no one is familiar with these areas, sorry for wasting your time with this wall of text but thank you for reading it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad