Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We're coming up on the August deadline for teams to sign their NCAA prospects.

I'm pretty sure that we'd keep guys staying in school for a fifth year, but there could be some signings about a week from now.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Hijacking the thread a bit in the hockey doldrums of August. Got a puppy in April his name is Hagel Bagel. My wife, who did not want a dog, is getting a Siamese kitten. I am lobbying hard for Thunder Bug. I think Bagel and Bug are a cool duo name. Any other suggestions?

bagel1.jpeg

tbug1.jpeg

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
I just threw up. That is the least skilled second line in the league. Hagel will need back surgery.

Silver lining. What if it's true he was riddled with injuries last year and will actually be a good player this year. But if that's just wishfull bs, ugh.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Silver lining. What if it's true he was riddled with injuries last year and will actually be a good player this year. But if that's just wishfull bs, ugh.

He wasn't a good player before he was riddled with injuries.

1723328814605.png

He hasn't broken 20 goals or 43 points since playing with Crosby 8 years ago.

I expect some regression back to his career average, but that isn't 2nd line material.

Would love to get 15g and 30 points out of him on the third line

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Relax it will work itself out. Plus Weiss has no insider contacts so the people he has heard it from are probably in his twitter feed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwui21

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Sheary wasn't a good top 6 winger in his prime just serviceable to skate with Crosby and Malkin. He is 32 , undersized, slowing down, and looked weak on his feet. A tendon in your hand has nothing to do with skating and strength on your skates.
Cirelli is already a C- offense top second line center with A- defense. Cirell is at best a c- offense with an A- rating for defense because he isnt good at faceoffs in the top 6. The second line looks like a third line on a contennding team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don't see Sheary on the 1st or 2nd line. If he's healthy this year, he'll be fine on the 3rd with Paul and Ace most likely. Atkinson likely starts on line 2 with Hagel and Cirelli, or Cirelli and Guentzel. Ylonen and Goncalves are also interesting options for the bottom 6 that could cause some line juggling, and of course, the progression of Geekie (who could get a promotion this season) might change some line combos. The top 6 is potentially missing one piece at wing, but that is no big surprise given cap space and most hypothetical lineup configurations.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Didn't Sheary play with Guentzel? Could hope they have some kinda chemistry instead of permanently engraving Jake on the top line which feels a bit overkill.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Didn't Sheary play with Guentzel? Could hope they have some kinda chemistry instead of permanently engraving Jake on the top line which feels a bit overkill.
Sheary and Guentzel have more than likely played together, but they also had Crosby or Malkin at center.

Reactions: Stammertime91

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Guentzel is actually listed as a center. With him as the 2nd line center, the lines could be something like:

Paul - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Guentzel - Atkinson
Sheary - Cirelli - Eyssimont
Girgensons - Glendenning - Chaffee

I like the more even distribution of talent along on the top three lines, but we'd need both Paul and Atkinson (who was bad last year in Philly) to not drag their lines down. I think the RWs on the bottom 3 lines could all be interchanged, as long as Eyssimont is never on the 2nd.

I don't know if Guentzel is still comfortable playing center and his career faceoff percentage isn't good at 45.6%, but it would give us the 2nd line center we need for two scoring lines and give a good 3rd line center in Cirelli.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Guentzel is actually listed as a center. With him as the 2nd line center, the lines could be something like:

Paul - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Guentzel - Atkinson
Sheary - Cirelli - Eyssimont
Girgensons - Glendenning - Chaffee

I like the more even distribution of talent along on the top three lines, but we'd need both Paul and Atkinson (who was bad last year in Philly) to not drag their lines down. I think the RWs on the bottom 3 lines could all be interchanged, as long as Eyssimont is never on the 2nd.

I don't know if Guentzel is still comfortable playing center and his career faceoff percentage isn't good at 45.6%, but it would give us the 2nd line center we need for two scoring lines and give a good 3rd line center in Cirelli.
he has 298 total faceoffs in 9 years... i dont know who has him as a C but they are very wrong..

Last edited:
Reactions: JoVel and Hoek

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

If they played together, it wasn't a lot and 5-6 years ago

I also disagree with overkill, IMO stacking lines I think pays off a lot more than spreading out the talent, really depends on the opponent.

Reactions: Renopucker

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Even at 32 teams, the league is still not too watered down.

Alex Nylander, JVR, Tony DeAngelo, Tyler Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Dominik Kubalik, Kevin Lankinen, Nick Cousins, Cal Clutterbuck, Oliver Kylington, all looking for NHL deals.
Maybe not "watered down" but showing same signs of salary cap mandated mediocrity that afflicts the other professional sports in North America. Many of those players you mentioned are better than players currently on NHL rosters. But for budgetary reasons are not currently on rosters.

Watching Major League Baseball in 2024 the majority of rosters consist of anonymous players; with a handful of players making astronomical salaries. The NFL is similar in that teams build their rosters not based on merit but by salary.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Part of me says no dont do it, the other part of me says league minimum 3C and move Paul up to the top 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad