Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Feels like it will all just boil down to how much Don will be ready to retain. If the relationship isnt too strained, I'd guess he starts in CBJ, and they'll make the trade when teams feel more comfortable with the AAV

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Feels like it will all just boil down to how much Don will be ready to retain. If the relationship isnt too strained, I'd guess he starts in CBJ, and they'll make the trade when teams feel more comfortable with the AAV
I wouldn't trade him unless you are getting a good return. Make him come back and stay healthy and produce if he wants traded, Not Waddell's fault that PL has no trade value .

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
GMs want to take advantage of his injuries and PAP, so not only do they want Columbus to keep as much salary as possible, but player compensation + draft picks are bad.

I don't think so. Laine hasn't publicly asked for a trade, he's still watching the CBJ site on Instagram, Patrik's agent has warned him, he will be trade only #CBJ if gets a good offer and Patrik knows he has low value and Waddell cannot risk. Besides, he is not Dubois.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I feel like anyone who he had a strained relationship with is no longer around. Jarmo, PV, etc.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Injuries happen, maybe a team that doesn't have cap space will have some open up if a player gets LTIR. Laine just needs to show up and be a professional and he'll get his wish in due time.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I had a dream he made a surprise move and singed for a team in Czech Extraliga. You heard it here first. Need to set up that twitter account and become an insider.

I think he is going to quit hockey and start playing pesäpallo (Finnish baseball).

Attachments

• 712CD1D6-29D9-49BF-8049-AE6BC06C9912.jpeg
    712CD1D6-29D9-49BF-8049-AE6BC06C9912.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 4

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Man, I wish he just wanted to stay. I wanted it to work with him.

Although, I don't get the sense Don wants him either.
It's all speculation at this point, but two possible explanations are that either D-Wad is a hard-line guy when it comes to players having asked to be moved; or he's taken the temperature of the room and those (posters) who feel that Laine has been an issue in the locker room (in whatever fashion, I have no idea) are correct.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
It's all speculation at this point, but two possible explanations are that either D-Wad is a hard-line guy when it comes to players having asked to be moved; or he's taken the temperature of the room and those (posters) who feel that Laine has been an issue in the locker room (in whatever fashion, I have no idea) are correct.
the third (and more likely) explanation is that, after all the struggles of the last few years here, laine wants to play meaningful games again.

i forget who it was last year (portzline or friedman, i think) but one of the insiders said something a while ago along the lines of "columbus has good pieces but they need to see if those pieces want to stick around for a rebuild" – most people took that as a comment about gaudreau but it may have been about laine.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
When Don was hired he said he wont have anyone around who doesnt want to be there. Asking for a trade is possibly the clearest sign of someone like that.

I dont think there's much need for speculatation on Don's position when he said it out loud and is staying true to his word.

That lockerroom bs doesnt track at all with any public statements. Certain posters just have a good imagination.
* For a while Don said he wants to talk to Laine asap. If someone is a lockerroom issue, you don't wait around for his approval.
* Since talking to Laine wasnt possible, Don talked to his agent. After that there's been a firm stance that Laine will be traded. Pretty clear that Laine's agent told Don he still wants a a change of scenery

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
the third (and more likely) explanation is that, after all the struggles of the last few years here, laine wants to play meaningful games again.

i forget who it was last year (portzline or friedman, i think) but one of the insiders said something a while ago along the lines of "columbus has good pieces but they need to see if those pieces want to stick around for a rebuild" – most people took that as a comment about gaudreau but it may have been about laine.
Something along these lines is probably the truth. In my speculation Laine has two priorities:

A) Play meaningful games, i.e. playoff team
B) Get a fresh start with no memories of whatever caused/contributed to his mental issues, i.e. different house, different streets, nothing that reminds him of the hard times (his dad dying presumably being the main thing)

Which one is more important I have no idea. If he stays with the CBJ for the beginning of the season, it's going to be distraction. Just how big remains to be seen. I'm hopeful it won't be a huge issue inside the locker room, just some extra media questions and maybe it slows down the chemistry building a little bit. But in the best case he'll play well, score some goals, and up his trade value to bring in a return that's worth the inconveniences.

My preference would be to trade him before the preseason for future considerations+, though. (Or better value if money retained.) Given D-Wad's comments I would imagine he'd like to move Patty before the preseason too. I'd just want it done already tbh, all these threads and speculation is so fruitless with the sides so heavily dug in. I understand how Cowumbus feels with the thread. :D

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I was responding specifically to the notion that it appears Waddell doesn’t want him, and speculating possible explanations for that. Waddell is certainly not mandated to honor the request, so he may have another reason. I also think Waddell would bristle at the notion of not playing meaningful games.

I’m not disputing why Laine might have asked out. Burnt comment was only considering why Waddell appears so eager to accommodate him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
When Don was hired he said he wont have anyone around who doesnt want to be there. Asking for a trade is possibly the clearest sign of someone like that.

I dont think there's much need for speculatation on Don's position when he said it out loud and is staying true to his word.
I don’t recall that but I’ll look it up. If he said that then my first bit of speculation would seem to be accurate. I’m not staking my ground on either idea.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I was responding specifically to the notion that it appears Waddell doesn’t want him, and speculating possible explanations for that. Waddell is certainly not mandated to honor the request, so he may have another reason. I also think Waddell would bristle at the notion of not playing meaningful games.

I’m not disputing why Laine might have asked out. Burnt comment was only considering why Waddell appears so eager to accommodate him.
If there was trouble in the locker room, the word would have gotten out a long time ago. Especially from Portzline. Well, judging by the statements of Gaudreau, Kuraly, Werenski and Marchenko, it's just the opposite. Zach has even expressed that he hopes Patrik comes back. And no one asked him about this.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don’t recall that but I’ll look it up. If he said that then my first bit of speculation would seem to be accurate. I’m not staking my ground on either idea.
I think he has said it a couple of times but with a quick search I found this article
“When I’ve talked to players about being here, do you want to be part of the solution, or not? We want players who want to play for the Columbus Blue Jackets”.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If there was trouble in the locker room, the word would have gotten out a long time ago. Especially from Portzline. Well, judging by the statements of Gaudreau, Kuraly, Werenski and Marchenko, it's just the opposite. Zach has even expressed that he hopes Patrik comes back. And no one asked him about this.
Well, I dispute the notion that "word would have gotten out a long time ago." Those are the kinds of things we just never get confirmation on. Dubinsky in Las Vegas. PLD's beef. Who outed Babcock?

I honestly haven't seen the comments by those players, but it's certainly reasonable that they like the guy and hope he not only comes back out of the PAP but returns to the CBJ lineup. IN which case I assume they are in Waddell's ear telling him to give Patrik another chance.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Well, I dispute the notion that "word would have gotten out a long time ago." Those are the kinds of things we just never get confirmation on. Dubinsky in Las Vegas. PLD's beef. Who outed Babcock?

I honestly haven't seen the comments by those players, but it's certainly reasonable that they like the guy and hope he not only comes back out of the PAP but returns to the CBJ lineup. IN which case I assume they are in Waddell's ear telling him to give Patrik another chance.
Waddell said good things about Patrik as a player. I think he would want so that Laine stay.

Informations about Zach and Johnny are from Finnish sites according WC, journalists asked them. Marchenko and Kuraly - Mark Scheig article. Btw, I know Marchenko. He only says what he really thinks.

I agree with comments higher. Count. From 2021/22 season: 7 injuries, 2 Illnesses, his father passed away (of course neither the city nor the team are to blame, but it happened when he played here). The last two injuries were, as they say in Slovakia, the icing on the cake, especially concussion. And remember what Davidson said when Patrik was in PAP, he not only so supported the mental health organization.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad