Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
MM will be a UFA next season.
Either extend or walk or the very likely case of sign and trade due to the 8th year.

Why would Tre wants to do that? Trade him this year and get a package instead of letting him walk for nothing. Or bet on MM performing in the playoffs under Berube and extend him but if MM doesn’t learn Hawk Tuah and choke again, Tre will probably get fired next offseason for bringing the band back.
I’m mixed feelings on that. I would love to see Marner gone but I’m not sure I trust Tre to do it properly so I would rather risk him walking for nothing then extending him to some crazy number for 8 years which is what I think Tre will do if he can’t convince Marner to waive his NM

Reactions: Gabriel426

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We can't find good "depth" (i.e., fill out the roster) because 53% of the cap it allocated to 4 forwards.
It’s not even that anymore. It’s the fact that this collection has proven they can’t get it done and when it’s time for playoff hockey, too many of them don’t play the way you need.
The core is all the same. We need a strong north/south game and 80% of the game is played along the wall, forecheck and cycle. These guys are all the same.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m mixed feelings on that. I would love to see Marner gone but I’m not sure I trust Tre to do it properly so I would rather risk him walking for nothing then extending him to some crazy number for 8 years which is what I think Tre will do if he can’t convince Marner to waive his NM
Honestly, if we are taking the Tkachuk deal as an example. I trust Tre in making the MM trade.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Actively putting the whistles away and refusing to make penalty calls IS IMPACTING AND DECIDING THE GAME.

This is such a tired argument, hockey is the only sport where this happens. It’s also the only sport about to be eclipsed by a second rate soccer league.
EuroHockey is played in Europe. Go watch it.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Actively putting the whistles away and refusing to make penalty calls IS IMPACTING AND DECIDING THE GAME.

This is such a tired argument, hockey is the only sport where this happens. It’s also the only sport about to be eclipsed by a second rate soccer league.

Philosophical question.

If everyone knows playoff hockey is played in this ground and pound style with tons of obstruction, where a hot goalie can be the ultimate trump card, why would anyone build a roster based on small finesse skill, go small on D and cheap out in net? It's almost dumb or something.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
According to Mirtle chances of a Marner trade are in single digits, his camp has made it clear they will not waive.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
According to Mirtle chances of a Marner trade are in single digits, his camp has made it clear they will not waive.
Marner's camp are on broken record mode telling everyone who asks that they won't waive. They are seeking a 100M contract so of course they won't state that they are open to a new team because they'll lose their leverage. If Nashville acquires Marner and he's said on record he wanted a trade his negotiation leverage for his raise is hampered

Reactions: HolyCrap and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Philosophical question.

If everyone knows playoff hockey is played in this ground and pound style with tons of obstruction, where a hot goalie can be the ultimate trump card, why would anyone build a roster based on small finesse skill, go small on D and cheap out in net? It's almost dumb or something.
Indeed, why……….

Mirtle’s a shill, how’s he still working now that his meal ticket is in Pittsburgh……….

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If true I hope someone makes it clear to the Marner camp that PP2 duties and dragging around linemates like Kampf and Jarnkrok are in store for this year. Not to mention strip the A from his weak little chest

Seriously f this guy if he's willing to go out like this

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If true I hope someone makes it clear to the Marner camp that PP2 duties and dragging around linemates like Kampf and Jarnkrok are in store for this year. Not to mention strip the A from his weak little chest

Seriously f this guy if he's willing to go out like this
Just tell him to stay home. That he will be a distraction and we aren’t re-signing him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Philosophical question.

If you tossed in building a team through a spreadsheet on pretend expected Money-Puck stats, and fill your prospect pool with endless smurfs (if you're not dealing the picks away to correct your own signing mistakes). and believe your reinvesting the wheel then ...

I would say my friend you're not asking a Philosophical question but rather a Rhetorical question where almost EVERYONE knows the person you're referring to. :wg:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
1719376520538.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner's camp are on broken record mode telling everyone who asks that they won't waive. They are seeking a 100M contract so of course they won't state that they are open to a new team because they'll lose their leverage. If Nashville acquires Marner and he's said on record he wanted a trade his negotiation leverage for his raise is hampered

There’s a real possibility that a $100 million, $12.5 million over 8 years isn’t even on the table for Marner anywhere. Maybe if he was super popular in Toronto and we were very successful and had to have him back. Sure you could leverage your way to that. Now? I think the same as the Nylander deal is an over pay.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There’s a real possibility that a $100 million, $12.5 million over 8 years isn’t even on the table for Marner anywhere. Maybe if he was super popular in Toronto and we were very successful and had to have him back. Sure you could leverage your way to that. Now? I think the same as the Nylander deal is an over pay.

Nobody in their right mind is going to make marner the highest paid winger in the league

if there is a jackass GM who is willing to do that then more power to him and good for the Leafs LMAO :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad