Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess we should be kissing Marner's ass or something? Let's worship him because in his own words he's a "god" in this town, right?
Sure, if you want to sound childish and idiotic, knock your self out.

Good news is you seem to have some company, so at least you're not alone.

Reactions: Discoverer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
there's a fair bit of dalyight between this and fans deserve to to see this guy shamed out of town

What does that mean - shamed out of town?

I think he's a great regular season player who's play drops off proportionately to the rise of the level of intensity in the playoffs. I'm tired of the good regular season followed by playoff failure routine and that's why I'd like to move forward without him but there's nothing to be ashamed of, it is what it is and one way or the other, life will go on.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

I think he's a great regular season player who's play drops off proportionately to the rise of the level of intensity in the playoffs. I'm tired of the good regular season followed by playoff failure routine and that's why I'd like to move forward without him but there's nothing to be ashamed of, it is what it is and one way or the other, life will go on.
stuff like what the quoted poster was suggesting ("strip the A from his weak little chest" etc)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The odds of Treliving building an Eastern conference contender in the next two or three years are very slim. I think there’s a greater chance he won’t be the GM this time next year.

You’re right because he’s going to be the president of hockey operations. If you think Treliving is going anywhere think again. There’s a reason why he lasted 10 years in Calgary. His family is so well connected.

Reactions: hullsy47

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011

It's gone so poorly for both the team and the player. I can't believe he still wants to be here.

Why does any of the core 5 want to remain here? I really don't understand. Quite a few crushing defeats and nothing positive outside of a regular season. Hockey players are so competitive, I have a tough time wondering why Marner, who everyone and their mother can imagine him blossoming elsewhere, would rather take a risk, bet on himself, and return again to a market where his time appears to have run it's course. Just move on man, this is torture watching this a 9th time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That is just an entirely illogical question.

"How can I buy a better car if I have more money to spend?" The lack of depth is precisely because they don't have the money to spend.

They brought in the 3rd highest-paid UFA last year and we didn't have money?

Killorn and Orlov are the only two who got paid more, would you rather they spent money on them?

They just picked the wrong depth. $4 million on a #6 like Klingberg? Idiotic.

They had money, but they spent it wrong.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sure, if you want to sound childish and idiotic, knock your self out.

Good news is you seem to have some company, so at least you're not alone.
Yes worshipping Marner is childish. Though it's mostly young boys that are doing it so I wouldn't call them idiotic.

Now you on the other hand, you must have posted "super crazy elite" hundreds of times over the last few years. Every time he had a good game, you posted it in several different threads where Marner was being discussed. Does that cross the "worship threshold", hmm food for thought. I mean you're not a little boy any more, or am I wrong?

IMGO, there's no reason to worship Marner, and no reason to hate him. He's just a hockey player, nothing more and nothing less. I look forward to the day when you get over your obsession with him and start posting hockey content again instead of telling everyone how dumb they are.

Newsflash - nobody is as smart as you think you are.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
O
It's gone so poorly for both the team and the player. I can't believe he still wants to be here.

Why does any of the core 5 want to remain here? I really don't understand. Quite a few crushing defeats and nothing positive outside of a regular season. Hockey players are so competitive, I have a tough time wondering why Marner, who everyone and their mother can imagine him blossoming elsewhere, would rather take a risk, bet on himself, and return again to a market where his time appears to have run it's course. Just move on man, this is torture watching this a 9th time.
Money. They turned this organization into their cash cow. Instantly paid like Cup vets, structured salaries by poor management that leaves you nowhere to go but up.
They found the Golden goose. Why give it up.
I’d like to see what other team would overpay the overpay.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
stuff like what the quoted poster was suggesting ("strip the A from his weak little chest" etc)
That's just people talking on the internet, hardly qualifies as "shaming him out of town". I mean if thousand of people carried signs like that and picket the arena then sure.

Why would MM wants to play in Toronto?

If any Leafs read into fans comments, it is Marner.

He just doesn’t strike me as a player who will ignore all the outside noises or have the I will make you eat crows attitude.

No, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy at all.

They brought in the 3rd highest-paid UFA last year and we didn't have money?

Killorn and Orlov are the only two who got paid more, would you rather they spent money on them?

They just picked the wrong depth. $4 million on a #6 like Klingberg? Idiotic.

They had money, but they spent it wrong.
So having more cap space is bad because our GM is dumb and can't spend it wisely. So therefore, we should pay Marner.

Brilliant analysis. SMH.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So having more cap space is bad because our GM is dumb and can't spend it wisely. So therefore, we should pay Marner.

Brilliant analysis. SMH.

It is idiotic to think that having cap is an asset if it is not spent well.

Look at Calgary and then tell me it can't get worse.

SMH.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

staying here is also betting on himself though? like it is not un-competitive to believe against a chorus of doubters that yes, you can get it done with your buds on the Leafs

That's just people talking on the internet, hardly qualifies as "shaming him out of town". I mean if thousand of people carried signs like that and picket the arena then sure
it is what people talking on the internet are saying the team should do, I'm saying why I think it's a weird and bad suggestion, which is basically what hfboards is for doing

Last edited:

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You are omitting nurse at 9.25
And the 7 million ish for brown/campbell dead cap.
I’m referring to what Edmonton paid they’re top five players as compared to what the Leafs paid they’re top five players. Those Edmonton players took a lot less money and got their team to within one win of a Stanley Cup while the Leafs group can’t them out of the first round and get paid a lot more money.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Treliving can't wait to give Marner an extension.

We all know he wants to. All he's done since getting hired is give people raises. I can only imagine how anxious he is to give Marner more money too.

Then blame Dubas for it like he did the Matthews and Nylander contracts.

Tell us all how his hands were tied, that Marner controled the negotiations. But that at the end of the day Marner really wanted to get a deal done in order to remain a member of the team. And that's how Mitch Marner will soon become the highest paid winger in the league again.

There literally is no losing a Marner trade.

Not if the objective is a culture shift. The goal in a Marner trade shouldn't be about maximizing asset return. It should be about getting the most polarizing player in modern team history off the team.

Too bad I expect Treliving will give him a long term extemsion with big raise instead.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If you've ever been part of a Team you'd understand why. These guys have been together for their entire professional lives and they obviously want to continue playing together. Being competitive, they feel they can win together. It's not that hard to see things once the froth blinders come off.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

SMH.
What's idiotic is assuming that cap space won't be spent well and therefore has no value.

it is what people talking on the internet are saying the team should do, I'm saying why I think it's a weird and bad suggestion, which is basically what hfboards is for doing

Eh, millions of people on the internet, the team has millions of fans so every POV you can possibly imagine (and many that you can't) will be posted here. That doesn't quite rise to the level of being "shamed out of town" though. JMHO.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Seriously, if you are going to spend $100M, plus a player, maybe a prospect or two, and maybe a pick, is $7.5M in cash (not cap) going to be the deal breaker?

It may well take beyond July 2, but I don't think the bonus will be the reason.
Yeah because $7.5M is chump change to an owner. There’s no urgency for other teams to trade for him before Monday and they all have annual budgets to work within. One of the attractions of trading for Marner is he’ll only be paid $775,000 for next season. His next contract is a much bigger gamble.

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What's idiotic is assuming that cap space won't be spent well and therefore has no value.

Eh, millions of people on the internet, the team has millions of fans so every POV you can possibly imagine (and many that you can't) will be posted here. That doesn't quite rise to the level of being "shamed out of town" though. JMHO.
There’s a great chance that it won’t be spent wisely by Treliving. I fully expect them to overpay a Zadorov, like he’s a top 4 defensemen.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I kind of hope Marner stays as a lame-duck pending UFA, and then puts up a 120 point season while single-handedly carrying this team deep into the playoffs next season before re-upping in June 2025 for 13 x 8. It'd be one hell of a redemption arc even if a highly improbable one at that lol
And I wanna date Taylor Swift.... think that'll happen?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Because he grew up here. I’m sure a part of him wants to leave. But when you’re in a place living out your dream, the thought of starting new is scary. So I imagine for Marner, he’s going through the process of trying to detach so he can make the move. He may not be ready this off-season but I imagine he’s gone by the end of next season. I doubt he resigned.

Well Gary, most of the biggest mistakes made by NHL GM’s is made on July 1st. Having cap space is both a blessing and a curse. You tend to overpay aging UFA’s. It’s not a guarantee you get better immediately.

Thats why trading Marner might be scary for some. You trade Marner and sign 4 horrible contracts you’re worse off than how we started.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
O

Money. They turned this organization into their cash cow. Instantly paid like Cup vets, structured salaries by poor management that leaves you nowhere to go but up.
They found the Golden goose. Why give it up.
I’d like to see what other team would overpay the overpay.
For Matty and Mitch, I would say money, although for Mitch and JT, it's their home town. Willy says he just loves Toronto and playing here. He and Mo have spent their entire careers here, and Willy in particular knows what constantly switching teams is like.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

SMH.
At least if you have cap you can spend it, either well or not. If you don't have it, you have no chance of spending it well.

Tre has already done better in one year than the previous GM did in five, so he deserves a bit of a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad