Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yeah I probably want Marner gone on here more than anybody. But I have a feeling this is all bs. I'll be willing to bet that this is a guy just looking for clicks on the day of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Marner has a no movement clause and he's going to agree to get traded to an expansion team? That doesn't make sense.
Not quite an expansion team but yea. How's the taxes in Utah? I could see money being a motivating factor for the Marners. As it always seems to be.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Actively putting the whistles away and refusing to make penalty calls IS IMPACTING AND DECIDING THE GAME.

This is such a tired argument, hockey is the only sport where this happens. It’s also the only sport about to be eclipsed by a second rate soccer league.
Lol I'm totally with you on this btw.
Just saying it how it is.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
can we trade him now?

300 pages, not a single reasonable argument for keeping him.

Our GM traded Tkachuk for a couple of cap dumps... that's a decent argument for being hesitant at least.

Our GM spent $20 million on crap, not sure he will spend the $11 million well.

Marner is not our worst playoff performer out of the core 4 and it isn't like the depth we ever get helps us, so we may get worse.

There are legitimate reasons to be hesitant about a trade... not sure it should be off the table, but not sure trading him makes us better just due to having more cap.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Our GM traded Tkachuk for a couple of cap dumps... that's a decent argument for being hesitant at least.

Marner is not our worst playoff performer out of the core 4 and it isn't like the depth we ever get helps us, so we may get worse.

There are legitimate reasons to be hesitant about a trade... not sure it should be off the table, but not sure trading him makes us better just due to having more cap.

This "our GM sucks so maybe we shouldn't trade Marner" argument makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as trading him making us better just due to cap, you might not be sure but it certainly looks like a logical assumption. Perhaps not in the regular season, but playoffs for sure.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This "our GM sucks so maybe we shouldn't trade Marner" argument makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as trading him making us better just due to cap, you might not be sure but it certainly looks like a logical assumption. Perhaps not in the regular season, but playoffs for sure.

If our team gets worse by trading Marner, can you explain how it would make sense?

How does cap make us better? Our core has outperformed our depth pretty much every year... we can't find good depth, so how does more money solve this? We've had the cap for it in the past.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If our team gets worse by trading Marner, can you explain how it would make sense?

How does cap make us better? Our core has outperformed our depth pretty much every year... we can't find good depth, so how does more money solve this? We've had the cap for it in the past.

Strange question. Our team won't get worse by trading Marner, it should get better.

Not really following the rest of it. We've lost players before because we haven't had cap space, I thought this was common knowledge and the more cap you have, the more options you have to build the roster.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

Every person thought Calgary got a hell of a deal for Chucky. Zero people predicted Huberdeau would put up 40% production. But I’d still take a 1st rounder and Weegar alone.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I would like a great GM. But being better than Dubas is a very low bar to achieve. Very low bar.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Every person thought Calgary got a hell of a deal for Chucky. Zero people predicted Huberdeau would put up 40% production. But I’d still take a 1st rounder and Weegar alone.

Yes, everyone turning on the trade has the benefit of hindsight but at the time they got what? A 1st, 115 pt winger and top 2 or at worst top 4 RD. Yes they were on expiring deals too but Tree got them extended.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yes, everyone turning on the trade has the benefit of hindsight but at the time they got what? A 1st, 115 pt winger and top 2 or at worst top 4 RD. Yes they were on expiring deals too but Tree got them extended.
Yeah it’s weird that people rip him for this trade. It was good value considering Florida was the only place he wanted to go

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Used to frustrate me.

There used to be a member on this board that called himself an insider and some board members would send out a request to him for rumors. For some reason that was allowed to go on far too long too.

That is sad.

Remember when Sportsnet had Eklund on their broadcast :help:

I'm betting whoever said they should have him on was fired by the end of that morning.

And Eklund must have crapped himself when he was invited on.

Reactions: hullsy47

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it was Florida or Carolina right? Have to imagine it was something around Necas+
It was only Florida.
That’s what made the deal amazing at that time, as I thought Flames would be lucky to even get a top 6 forward and a 1st.

Hubie sucks now but at the time of the trade, he was pencilled in as LW with McD on Team Canada first line if they went to the Olympics in 2022.

Nobody saw the drop off coming.

Yeah it’s weird that people rip him for this trade. It was good value considering Florida was the only place he wanted to go
Not really people, more like one poster here

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It was only Florida.
That’s what made the deal amazing at that time, as I thought Flames would be lucky to even get a top 6 forward and a 1st.

Hubie sucks now but at the time of the trade, he was pencilled in as LW with McD on Team Canada first line if they went to the Olympics in 2022.

Nobody saw the drop off coming.

Not really people, more like one poster here
Maybe Zito did.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Strange question. Our team won't get worse by trading Marner, it should get better.

Not really following the rest of it. We've lost players before because we haven't had cap space, I thought this was common knowledge and the more cap you have, the more options you have to build the roster.
You are arguing with someone who stated

MM is better than Barkov bc MM got more Selke votes than Barkov in one season and that Barkov is not Bergy as he only won TWO Selkes while MM won none.

Maybe Zito did.
I will give you that

Reactions: HolyCrap

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

I agree to a certain extent that we need to be very careful about trying to trade him. We should wait until after next season is over. That way we will have a little more to evaluate Treliving on. The biggest mistake Treliving could do would be to extend him for 7-8 years this year

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You are arguing with someone who stated

MM is better than Barkov bc MM got more Selke votes than Barkov in one season and that Barkov is not Bergy as he only won TWO Selkes while MM won none.

I will give you that
Huberdeau was pacing 90 points the 3 years prior to his 115 point season. He had just 1 goal and 5 points in 10 playoff games for Florida in his 115 point year. Overall his postseason stats are ugly, except of one postseason. Maybe Bill was wise and knew that Huberdeau's style of play isn't a recipe for success in the playoffs?

I guess Bill didnt know he should have held on to Huberdeau.. because one day Huberdeau would figure it out? And Bill would eat crow! One day!!.... I mean 4 playoff is all Huberdeau played and only 2 while Zito was GM. Jeez... Marner has played 8 postseasons and has sucked in them all and some fans still think he's been unfairly judged lol.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

The issue is money
Marner will be looking at 12.5 avg.per over so man
That is sad.

T

I'm betting whoever said they should have him on was fired by the end of that morning.

And Eklund must have crapped himself when he was invited on.
They had bill Watters on too.by the end of the show it was a farce
I think the HENNESSY took over lol
A
Mm

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree to a certain extent that we need to be very careful about trying to trade him. We should wait until after next season is over. That way we will have a little more to evaluate Treliving on. The biggest mistake Treliving could do would be to extend him for 7-8 years this year
MM will be a UFA next season.
Either extend or walk or the very likely case of sign and trade due to the 8th year.

Why would Tre wants to do that? Trade him this year and get a package instead of letting him walk for nothing. Or bet on MM performing in the playoffs under Berube and extend him but if MM doesn’t learn Hawk Tuah and choke again, Tre will probably get fired next offseason for bringing the band back.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

We can't find good "depth" (i.e., fill out the roster) because 53% of the cap it allocated to 4 forwards.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad