Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's less ego and more logic

He can control his fate in 12 months why give that up?

Yes, you're right. At least I agree that he doesn't need to sign a contract without a full NMC, as far as controlling his fate, I think he can still do that now without waiting another 12 months.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Well, if he had a great playoffs, it will be what numbers he is signing on July 1 instead of all the stuff now.
Let’s not pretend MM didn’t know he can sign an extension as early as July 1.

For about two days, lol.
My point is even if the Leafs win, it will still be this and that with MM.
If 16 shows a spine and leaves it all out on the ice I would be the first to praise him as I think most would. It isn't personal, so if he can play big boy hockey all will be forgotten.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I see you're a slow learner. Stop responding to the Obvious Agenda Crew, they'll realize they're
"influencing" no one, and they'll leave.
lol I do tend to learn slowly but once I got it I got it, and in this case I got it now. ....Im pretty sure.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, you're right. At least I agree that he doesn't need to sign a contract without a full NMC, as far as controlling his fate, I think he can still do that now without waiting another 12 months.
He can start now, I just don't think NMC is ego driven and fully expect hit next deal to include one

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I doubt Marner's ego will allow his to sign a deal where doesn't have a full NMC like they gave to Nylander. The choice may well end up being either being stuck with Marner for another 8 years, or letting him walk for nothing.
14f6886fb71b5a6e24a40b74b0f41f73.jpg

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
0% chance the Oilers can win without McDavid.

Florida is balanced enough to be able to win without Barkov.

IMHO the same applies to Leon. I give Oilers 0% chance if he's out for a long time.

But in general, well rounded team can do better without their stars or when they slump.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He can start now, I just don't think NMC is ego driven and fully expect hit next deal to include one
Yes, I already agreed with you on that point. But even if it wasn't more or less a foregone conclusion that he would get an NMC as they're given out so often these days, then IMO his ego would come into play because if Nylander got one, he wants one too.

The same applies to salary. If Nylander had signed for 11 million, we could think about Marner signing for say 11.4 but with Nylander getting 11.5 and Marner's ego in play, the absolute rock bottom minimum is probably something like 11.55 because I don't think there's any way that he would want people to think that Marner accepts the fact that Nylander is worth more than he is.

To be fair to Marner, I'm not singling him out here as probably well over 95% would think exactly the same way. The top paid players in the league all make so much money that getting another million here and there has zero impact on their lives, the cap hits are just a way of keeping score and seeing where they stack up compared to their peers so their egos are a factor.

Logic is rare at times.

Just like content in your posts.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, if he had a great playoffs, it will be what numbers he is signing on July 1 instead of all the stuff now.
Let’s not pretend MM didn’t know he can sign an extension as early as July 1.

For about two days, lol.
My point is even if the Leafs win, it will still be this and that with MM.
no ones winning a cup with half their cap tied to four forwards, it amazes me that people still think this could actually happen.............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You cannot run it back for a 9th year and risk losing him for nothing. If you cannot trade him, you might have to resign him with a limited NMC and if he shits the bed next April, you pay his bonus and move him. If Mitch and his camp are smart and can read the pulse of the fan base, they will work with Tre on a trade or sign a team friendly deal. Unfortunately from what I have seen of the Marner camp is greed > smarts.
after the Nylander signing one would hope they don't resign Marner mid season. They HAVE to let the season play out if they can't trade him before the deadline.........

I doubt Marner's ego will allow his to sign a deal where doesn't have a full NMC like they gave to Nylander. The choice may well end up being either being stuck with Marner for another 8 years, or letting him walk for nothing.
I choose letting him walk if it comes to that, but once his bonus is paid, I'm certain he's going to be traded.............

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
after the Nylander signing one would hope they don't resign Marner mid season. They HAVE to let the season play out if they can't trade him before the deadline.........

I choose letting him walk if it comes to that, but once his bonus is paid, I'm certain he's going to be traded.............

I choose letting him walk as well, I only wish I was certain about him being traded.

I'm at the point where a Marner trade would be cause for celebration. I mean unless we get a bunch of really bad contracts back, heck even trading him for a 2nd round pick would move the franchise forward IMO. It feels like he's this black cloud enveloping the entire team and fresh air blowing that cloud far away would be the dawn of a new era.

I can't wait for the post Marner era. Fingers crossed that I don't to wait another 8+ years. All-time great who deserves to have statues built for him my ass.

because knowing that the team you play for doesn't want you at any price will make for a long long season for such a mentally fragile person, can you imagine the fore coming temper tantrums...........

There's also always the chance that he suffers an injury that costs him tens of millions of dollars. The risk is small but the amount of money isn't, so there's a lot to be said for locking in another 7 years worth of huge amounts of money that he collects regardless of whether or not he even tries to earn it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No chance in my opinion. You don’t give away talented young players like this because of one year on their contract where you think they’re overpaid. I really can’t see how this contract is a bigger problem than Tavares. That’s just terrible management of your assets. You want that cap space, you can keep marner and buy out Tavares if you really wanted to. I see no reason why we hold onto Tavares who is clearly past his prime over marner who is in it.
First, it's not just one year where he's overpaid, it's several years. Admittedly his playoff performance is getting worse, but his regular season has not improved.

Tavares' current contract is worse, particularly the last couple of years, but that's not the issue - it's the next contract for each, and we're looking at probably $12.5x8 for Mitch compared to $4x3 (or less) for JT.

Buying out Tavares gets a minimal amount of cap space. His cap hit for next year would still be $10.4M.

I would rather not keep either of them past next year, but I'd rather have JT making $4 (or less) than Mitch making $12 (or more).

That’s the noise but I don’t believe the leafs are looking to give him away. Wait the year and Tavares is gone if you want to make the change in core. Or look to Trade Tavares instead. If you can get good value for marner, sure, my main issue is ‘giving him away’. You don’t just throw away assets like that for the sake of change, that’s a terrible thing to do, and I don’t see why they do that when they can see how he does under Berube.

Ok my bad, clearly the rules have changed fr what I remembered. Thought it was 2/3 the remaining value spread over 2y.
That's cash, not cap.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I don't feel confident in winning a Marner trade, most likely it would end in disaster. An 11.7x8 contract isn’t great. But it will look a lot better in a couple years with the cap rising.

Reactions: Roo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't feel confident in winning a Marner trade, most likely it would end in disaster. An 11.7x8 contract isn’t great. But it will look a lot better in a couple years with the cap rising.

If we're sitting here 5 years from now having gone 1-5 in playoff series between now and then with Marner playing in the playoffs the way he's played last couple of years, the cap could be 130 million and we'd still be thinking damn, we should have let him walk when we had the chance.

I don't care much about "winning a trade", I just want to go deep in the playoffs and I just don't see that happening with Marner.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If we're sitting here 5 years from now having gone 1-5 in playoff series between now and then with Marner playing in the playoffs the way he's played last couple of years, the cap could be 130 million and we'd still be thinking damn, we should have let him walk when we had the chance.

I don't care much about "winning a trade", I just want to go deep in the playoffs and I just don't see that happening with Marner.
I agree, but what if we’re 5-1 in the next 6 series’ because we kept our potential hall of fame talent. It can go both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad