Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009

Sheldon Keefe reportedly afraid of what would happen if he benched Mitch Marner​

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has confirmed that Sheldon Keefe treated Mitch Marner differently than his teammates because he was afraid of how Marner would react to criticism and/or punishment.

Many gave Sheldon Keefe flack for not being tougher on certain players during his time in Toronto. We saw Keefe lay down the law with William Nylander more than once during his tenure in Toronto, but other players on the team, more specifically Mitch Marner, seemed to avoid his wrath after a poor performance.

While we saw Keefe bench Nylander for making mistakes, we never really saw it with Marner even though it was warranted at times. We finally may have an answer as to why that was the case.
Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman was on 'Leafs Morning Take' yesterday and was asked about the Marner situation. The conversation led to him discussing how Nylander and Matthews have a 'thick skin' and can handle the market, but how Marner's skin may not be as thick. Friedman emphasized that some people have a thicker skin and some do not but that's how life works.

With that being said, Friedman revealed that Keefe was aware of this and that is why he wasn't as hard on Marner as he was Nylander and others.

Sensitivity may not have been the best word choice to describe Marner, but essentially, Keefe, like every coach, had to learn and connect with each player in their own way. Friedman went on to say that it will be interesting to see how new Leafs head coach Craig Berube approaches things with players.
So, Mitch the B*tch.

Sorry had to be said, it was too easy.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think he has the ability, he failed last year pretty badly.

Like I said, I see a lot of people screaming about it, but just because they whine the most doesn't mean they are the majority.

Nylander has the worst performance in the playoffs, his just doesn't drop off because he hasn't been as good in the regular season.

Okay, well the last time a player was forced to be moved, our current GM basically ruined a franchise for a decade.

I was curious about the overlap, a lot of people who wanted Kadri and Hyman here want Marner gone, that's all, curiosity.
Tre failing pretty badly is your opinion, to which you are entitled, but as you say, just because a couple of posters whine the most doesn't mean they are the majority (or right).

Despite playing fewer games, Nylander was the leading goal scorer in the playoffs, as he was against Florida last year.

We aren't "forced to move" anyone - you're confusing 'want to' with 'have to'.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I take back every negative thing I ever said about Dreger or whoever else. Nothing is worse than reading someone's 6 paragraph summary of Friedman on a podcast all now I'm not saying this is the case, but, among people I've spoken to around the league, there seems to be a feeling that, maybe, this is going to play out differently from what people expect. give me Eklund over this drivel

Reactions: TMLBlueandWhite

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shut this down please. We can use this for the daily redundancy!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Sheldon Keefe reportedly afraid of what would happen if he benched Mitch Marner​

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has confirmed that Sheldon Keefe treated Mitch Marner differently than his teammates because he was afraid of how Marner would react to criticism and/or punishment.

Many gave Sheldon Keefe flack for not being tougher on certain players during his time in Toronto. We saw Keefe lay down the law with William Nylander more than once during his tenure in Toronto, but other players on the team, more specifically Mitch Marner, seemed to avoid his wrath after a poor performance.

While we saw Keefe bench Nylander for making mistakes, we never really saw it with Marner even though it was warranted at times. We finally may have an answer as to why that was the case.
Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman was on 'Leafs Morning Take' yesterday and was asked about the Marner situation. The conversation led to him discussing how Nylander and Matthews have a 'thick skin' and can handle the market, but how Marner's skin may not be as thick. Friedman emphasized that some people have a thicker skin and some do not but that's how life works.

With that being said, Friedman revealed that Keefe was aware of this and that is why he wasn't as hard on Marner as he was Nylander and others.

Sensitivity may not have been the best word choice to describe Marner, but essentially, Keefe, like every coach, had to learn and connect with each player in their own way. Friedman went on to say that it will be interesting to see how new Leafs head coach Craig Berube approaches things with players.
And we're supposed to have a winning culture with this nonsense going on too.

I knew Keefe wasn't it a couple of seasons ago when he criticized the stars, saying the other team's stars were better. Mitchy had words with him and the next day he walked back his comments.

There is no way in hell that a coach has the respect of that room when he's gotta bend over for one entitled little bitch.

Makes all those demands on Keefe and then shows up to the playoffs avoiding contact at all costs.

This kid wears a f***ing A and is regarded as a leader in the room. It's so obvious how big of a problem this is yet there is no convincing some people around here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because he doesn't consistently use it correctly and he ruined another franchise by using it incorrectly.

Like I said, the whiners are the loudest, it may seem like that, but who knows if it is.

We can leave this.

Tampa = Marner
Florida = They all sucked
Boston = Nylander

Our GM is terrible, my opinion doesn't change there, but I am optimistic.

Was curious, that's all.

If you take the "it's the same people" phrase as anything other than a general statement, it is dumb and you should stop commenting on it.

There is a big overlap between knuckle draggers here and people who hate Marner, this isn't new.

Worrying about an overpay of a couple of million is nothing to worry about, this is two years in a row where teams had over $6 million in dead cap in the finals.

Try using some critical thinking (which may be hard) and think about this.
You say "it's the same people" is a general statement and that's fine but doesn't change the fact that it's incorrect so you and everyone else should stop using it.

Your last sentence is rude and insulting and I refuse to be dragged into the mud with you. If trading insults is what you're into, you're going to have to find someone else to play with. Have a nice day. :)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You say "it's the same people" is a general statement and that's fine but doesn't change the fact that it's incorrect so you and everyone else should stop using it.

Your last sentence is rude and insulting and I refuse to be dragged into the mud with you. If trading insults is what you're into, you're going to have to find someone else to play with. Have a nice day. :)
"It's the same people"

Actually it seems like more and more people have lost their taste for Mitch on the team. Go read around other social media platforms, people seem done with the kid on the Leafs.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There's literal video footage of Marner (multiple clips) doing this.

Try again goldfish.

If Marner decides not to waive next year, Berube should take these clips and show them to Marner with the command that "There shall be no more of these. Everytime I see one of these you spend that rest of the period on the bench".

Reactions: arso40

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Team Marner is now going to switch to a new false equivalency between Marner and McDavid and Drai. Nevermind their playoffs stats overall, this Florida series is what they want you to focus on. That Rocket Security is something else.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
"It's the same people"

Actually it seems like more and more people have lost their taste for Mitch on the team. Go read around other social media platforms, people seem done with the kid on the Leafs.
I've said that several times - 90% or so seem to have had it with the kid. The argument it's just the "loud whiners" who are making it seem that way is pure nonsense.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Shut this down please. We can use this for the daily redundancy!

Now you want to silence opinions in the thread you started because it's not trending your way?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've said that several times - 90% or so seem to have had it with the kid. The argument it's just the "loud whiners" who are making it seem that way is pure nonsense.
Never see any of the actual criticisms of the player addressed, just some dumb cop out phrase like "loud whiners" that does nothing to advance the discussion.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Marner is better defensively than either of them, so he can at least contribute there.

Kadri can be a spark at least, Hyman, not as much.

I'm not excusing Marner's play, just the criticism is wildly inconsistent depending on the player.

If a player sucks but looks like they try hard or is physical, they get a pass, which I think is weird.
Marner is paid double digits for production not this defensive prowess you speak of the difference is 4.5 mil for Kadri at the time and 2. Something for Hyman you get it ? At 10.9 he's to be a difference maker he hasn't been In a very long time

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It’s all on Dubas. We will feel his effects on this team for years to come. What a moron. Gives no move clauses to everyone because he can not negotiate for shit.
Treliving could have moved Marner last summer.

Sure, Dubas has left us in a pretty horrible situation, but his plan was always to have these guys up for renewals at more or less the same time, so that they could re-evaluate and pivot should they have needed to

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Sure, Dubas has left us in a pretty horrible situation, but his plan was always to have these guys up for renewals at more or less the same time, so that they could re-evaluate and pivot should they have needed to
Would have been interesting to listen in on their meet when they decided not to move anyone when the window was open.

Agreed, Dubas was horrible but not moving on is on Treliving. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: Tak7

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
How can you watched last two playoffs series and state MM doesn’t have a compete issue?

For the first two games against the Bruins, he was afraid to carry the puck.

Also Kadri and Hyman stats were from years ago as a Leafs. They had much much better stats since leaving.

To be fair this last playoffs he was coming off a significant lower body injury, I doubt he was healthy. IMO the coach was a big part of the 8 year hangover, I'm not confident Berube is the right guy TBH, Coach Q and gallant were 1, 2 for me... I think a new coach with a new approach will be a god send for Marner. I want Marner traded because of his cap hit, 2 guys at 10 mil plus fine, 3 guys... uggh ... 4 guys painful ... not a chance that works. If JT was gone this summer I'd want to keep Mitch ... maybe it's a case of waiting for JT to come off the books and next year is the year we address the team composition

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

1) President Brendan Shanahan also called all of the core 4 after firing Dubas, leaving them with the impression that they were all coming back because after all this is the Shan-a-plan and apart of his "We can and We will" strategy.

2) Then he hired a new GM in Treliving.

The objective to move on from the Core 4 is a new thing and that is because Shanny has a new boss in CEO Keith Pelley now.

3) "We're going to be leaders, though," Pelley said. "We're not afraid of change; if you're afraid of change, you risk the possibility of falling behind, and we're not going to fall behind."

"Good is simply not good enough. I can assure you that is the collective position of ownership, and when I asked during the interview stage what was the definition of success to the owners, one of them immediately said emphatically, 'Just win'", Pelley said.

"The fans here not only deserve but demand a championship. And there's no complacency. We're not here to sell jerseys. We're here to win. And we're going to do everything we possibly can to do that," Pelley said.

4) Now is the time the move on from JT/Marner is an option on the table, to address a new CEO mandate to "just win"

Chain of Command: CEO --> President --> GM

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad