Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Would have been interesting to listen in on their meet when they decided not to move anyone when the window was open.

Agreed, Dubas was horrible but not moving on is on Treliving. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.

It is on Tre but to be fair some of these deals take months to put together. I've heard of deals that took over a year to put together. Tre had what 6 weeks to make a deal happen? Seems like a long time but 6 weeks is a flea fart in time when you are talking about one of the best wingers in the league and trying to get fair value for him in a trade.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Would have been interesting to listen in on their meet when they decided not to move anyone when the window was open.

Agreed, Dubas was horrible but not moving on is on Treliving. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.
Tre missed a brief opportunity to trade Marner (assuming Shanny would let him), but he has at least extended to two best players, and hasn't yet made a mistake with the other two.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tre missed a brief opportunity to trade Marner (assuming Shanny would let him), but he has at least extended to two best players, and hasn't yet made a mistake with the other two.
My guess they wanted/looked to trade Nylander and keep Marner a year ago but that changed when Willie started the year on fire and Mitch was underwhelming, and signed him to that juicy contract.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Tre needs to hard ball Marner.

Anyone who thinks other NHLers may be hesitant to come to Toronto because the Leafs played hardball with Marner is MISSING THE PICTURE.

Here's the picture.

Cap suckers like Marner leave no money on the table to actually attract and keep talent. That's the problem. People who would play here would be happy to hear Marner is gone and there is some money to pay them.

Florida has balance.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It is on Tre but to be fair some of these deals take months to put together. I've heard of deals that took over a year to put together. Tre had what 6 weeks to make a deal happen? Seems like a long time but 6 weeks is a flea fart in time when you are talking about one of the best wingers in the league and trying to get fair value for him in a trade.
No doubt it wouldn't have been easy but that's why he has the big job.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toss in the complication as part of Treliving's early hire prior to July 1st his actual contract expiry, was that he was not allowed to be present at Leafs draft table. So that really hindered and precluded any draft pick return and missing the best chance to move on from Marner now being available to other GM's at the draft.

Shanahan has continuously backed the team's "Core 4" throughout his time in Toronto, but struck a different tone on Friday, noting for the first time for patience may be at an end. Captain John Tavares and winger Mitch Marner are both entering the final seasons of their contracts after Treliving extended both Auston Matthews and William Nylander this season.

"It has certainly become evident that we have to assess all of those things and assess if we have to do some very difficult things to make the team better," Shanahan said. “We will look at everything this summer and will consider everything with the intention of making the Maple Leafs better and to win,” Shanahan said,
1718377247094.png

So not only as you mentioned the short amount of time available, also there are internet quotes that Shanny was not ready to break up the core 4 YET, and also the draft being the best time to trade Marner since his NMC would kick in a week later on July 1st also complicated by the official rules of Treliving hire.

Treliving resigned from Calgary's GM position following the end of their season but was still under contract until June 30. The Flames granted the Leafs permission to speak to Treliving shortly after the team dismissed Kyle Dubas from the general manager's position on May 19.

When the Leafs unveiled Treliving as their new GM, it was reported that Treliving would not be permitted to be at the draft table this weekend. Treliving has not been a part of the Maple Leafs' draft process since he was introduced as GM on May 31 and has left all of the responsibility to Director of Amateur Scouting Wes Clark.

So no talking to GMs at the draft and no draft pick involvement in any potential Marner trade.

1718378159459.png

Talk about having your hands tied from above and below and them blamed that YOU didn't trade Marner in the short 5 week window between your hire and Marner NMC kicking in.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Toss in the complication as part of Treliving's early hire prior to July 1st his actual contract expiry, was that he was not allowed to be present at Leafs draft table. So that really hindered and precluded any draft pick return and missing the best chance to move on from Marner now being available to other GM's at the draft.

So not only as you mentioned the short amount of time available, also there are internet quotes that Shanny was not ready to break up the core 4 YET, and also the draft being the best time to trade Marner since his NMC would kick in a week later on July 1st also complicated by the official rules of Treliving hire.

So no talking to GMs at the draft and no draft pick involvement in any potential Marner trade.

Talk about having your hands tied from above and below and them blamed that YOU didn't trade Marner in the short 5 week window between your hire and Marner NMC kicking in.
You have the wildest imagination :laugh:

Not permitted at the table was the condition, he wasn't gagged.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
1) President Brendan Shanahan also called all of the core 4 after firing Dubas, leaving them with the impression that they were all coming back because after all this is the Shan-a-plan and apart of his "We can and We will" strategy.

2) Then he hired a new GM in Treliving.

The objective to move on from the Core 4 is a new thing and that is because Shanny has a new boss in CEO Keith Pelley now.

3) "We're going to be leaders, though," Pelley said. "We're not afraid of change; if you're afraid of change, you risk the possibility of falling behind, and we're not going to fall behind."

"Good is simply not good enough. I can assure you that is the collective position of ownership, and when I asked during the interview stage what was the definition of success to the owners, one of them immediately said emphatically, 'Just win'", Pelley said.

"The fans here not only deserve but demand a championship. And there's no complacency. We're not here to sell jerseys. We're here to win. And we're going to do everything we possibly can to do that," Pelley said.

4) Now is the time the move on from JT/Marner is an option on the table, to address a new CEO mandate to "just win"

Chain of Command: CEO --> President --> GM
Can we assume that he is referring to winning in the playoffs and not regular season?
Tre needs to hard ball Marner.

Anyone who thinks other NHLers may be hesitant to come to Toronto because the Leafs played hardball with Marner is MISSING THE PICTURE.

Here's the picture.

Cap suckers like Marner leave no money on the table to actually attract and keep talent. That's the problem. People who would play here would be happy to hear Marner is gone and there is some money to pay them.

Florida has balance.
Their sales pitch is, come here for cheap on a one year deal and then get your money elsewhere. LOL. Sure let me go through a wall in the playoffs while Mitch throws a hissy fit on the bench and then go look for my money. Shanny and Kyle are comedians.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
No doubt it wouldn't have been easy but that's why he has the big job.

It's easy to say that's why he has the big job, making a trade because he has a small window to move someone is not why he has the big job, he has the big job to make sure he responsibly manages his assets and builds a championship team, Tre would have to be an idiot to trade Marner if there was no reasonable offer out there, trading a star players for pennies on the dollar is not responsible asset management..

It's a tough place for sure, dont trade him and you give up all leverage , rush trade him and you risk making your team worse. I work with and under the C Suite all the time, those guys are risk adverse, they tend to look at every critical decision from a million angles before they make a decision.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
After last season, I was prepared to run it back for this year. There were signs of progression. But I also said it was Cup or bust. These guys have a had a long time to figure it out, anything short of a cup is a failure. And they failed.

It's time to move on. I like Marner's skillset. A legitimately elite playmaker and one of the better defensive wingers in the league, that's a great player to have. But he doesn't have the guts or willingness to take it up a notch in the playoffs. Get lost.

I wish they'd traded Nylander too. I like his effort in a few of the playoff series he's played, but I don't think he brings enough to the table to warrant that extension. He's a 9 million dollar player who will be getting 11.5. Not ideal.

Tavares can stay. He's not worth what he makes now, but the Leafs would have to pay to get rid of him which I see as a waste of assets given his contract is almost up. If he wants to come back for 5, 6 million then fine. If not, take a walk.

I think the Leafs are in a bad spot now and I don't think Treliving is the guy to get them out of it. What he did in Calgary never should have gotten him a job in Toronto.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Didn’t Shanahan call the core four and tell them they were all coming back before he even hired Treliving ? Rumours are that they did see what they could get for Nylander over the summer but weren’t happy with the return. Chances are that’s what’s happening with Marner right now. Until they get an offer that works for them, there’s no need to have a discussion with Marner or his agent. And then if Marner’s interested they give that team permission to discuss an extension with him. Besides, Leafs have to pay him a bonus of $7.25M on July 1st so it’s doubtful anything would happen until after then anyway.

Reactions: Hellcat and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Didn’t Shanahan call the core four and tell them they were all coming back before he even hired Treliving ? Rumours are that they did see what they could get for Nylander over the summer but weren’t happy with the return. Chances are that’s what’s happening with Marner right now. Until they get an offer that works for them, there’s no need to have a discussion with Marner or his agent. And then if Marner’s interested they give that team permission to discuss an extension with him. Besides, Leafs have to pay him a bonus of $7.25M on July 1st so it’s doubtful anything would happen until after then anyway.
The smoke around Vegas and Theodore is promising. Acquiring Theo might also make Rielly expendable. Now that would be the great summer of Brad.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's easy to say that's why he has the big job, making a trade because he has a small window to move someone is not why he has the big job, he has the big job to make sure he responsibly manages his assets and builds a championship team, Tre would have to be an idiot to trade Marner if there was no reasonable offer out there, trading a star players for pennies on the dollar is not responsible asset management..

It's a tough place for sure, dont trade him and you give up all leverage , rush trade him and you risk making your team worse. I work with and under the C Suite all the time, those guys are risk adverse, they tend to look at every critical decision from a million angles before they make a decision.
Yep, like I said 'it wouldn't have been easy".

Reactions: Hellcat

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
On 32 thoughts they mention a moratorium on marner news because people got mad at things they said on previous 32 thoughts.

Guarantee that it's the marner camp and his private defense corps complaining that he was called sensitive.

What a ridiculous fall in the public eye. The media needs to keep going until he's chased out of town.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The media needs to keep going until he's chased out of town.

Marner will be destroyed if he returns.

I think he knows it.

He's likely already given permission to Tre to investigate things. Nothing public will happen until July 1, 2024 if at all.

I'd be VERY surprised if Marner plays another game in a Leafs jersey.

If he does, I highly suspect he will get a season ending injury early.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To be fair this last playoffs he was coming off a significant lower body injury, I doubt he was healthy. IMO the coach was a big part of the 8 year hangover, I'm not confident Berube is the right guy TBH, Coach Q and gallant were 1, 2 for me... I think a new coach with a new approach will be a god send for Marner. I want Marner traded because of his cap hit, 2 guys at 10 mil plus fine, 3 guys... uggh ... 4 guys painful ... not a chance that works. If JT was gone this summer I'd want to keep Mitch ... maybe it's a case of waiting for JT to come off the books and next year is the year we address the team composition
Just look at the Panthers Vs Oilers and it’s pretty clear that top heavy team will not work. Bc Oilers is the best example of a top heavy team and they couldn’t break through a well balanced team with top talents like the Panthers.
Two 10mil plus players is the max for any teams to be able to compete with a balanced team like the Panthers

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its really TOO bad that Marner is not a willing participant in this process of the Leafs organization preferring to move on from him.

He should realize a sign and trade to a team really interested in his services to get to best possible long-term contract on his terms (as his new team would have to agree to the extension) is really in his best interest.

It does not appear any 8 year X $12 mil deal is in the offering from the Leafs, if they're currently listening to offers/ shopping his services. Such a deal would theoretically be possible (both the 8th year) and the amount that might not be there is he decides to test free agency next summer.

Leafs best return also in assets returned the highest possible with Marner being under long-term contract to his new team.

This is a WIN -WIN situation for player and team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
My guess they wanted/looked to trade Nylander and keep Marner a year ago but that changed when Willie started the year on fire and Mitch was underwhelming, and signed him to that juicy contract.
I think they shopped Willie for EK just to make Dubas overpaid for him, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad