Where does Connor Hellebuyck now rank?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
There's been a lot of discussion about whether or not modern goaltending gets its due or if it lags behind previous eras, but I think there's probably agreement that the best of the best of recent years deserve credit for what they've done. Henrik Lundqvist, who I've got in my top 20 now, would be a prime example of someone that deserves that kind of recognition, and I think it's pretty well universally accepted that he does.

Of course, Lundqvist is retired now, so he's no longer among the ranks of the actives. Someone who is is Connor Hellebuyck. He just won his second Vezina tonight (which is one more than Lundqvist), and he's been a four-time Vezina finalist now (one short of Lundqvist), and one can only imagine that he's about to get his third all-star selection (one more than Lundqvist). All of this has been done by the age of 30. If he keeps this up, surely he's going to penetrate well into the top goalies list. My question is how far do you think he's gotten on the list right now?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Belfour is the immediate comp. I think that Winnipeg will falter in the next year or two and he'll be shipped to another contender. If he wins the Cup with them, he's a lock.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Belfour is the immediate comp. I think that Winnipeg will falter in the next year or two and he'll be shipped to another contender. If he wins the Cup with them, he's a lock.
How is Belfour the comp? Are you saying he's reached Belfour's level now or that's what he's tracking for? Because I think he's got some work on the longevity front to get close to Eddie.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
To me, there's five clear top post Brodeur goalies. Luongo, Lundqvist, Price, Vasilevsky, Hellebucyk.

I'd probably go in that order too.
I'd scramble the order, but I agree with the five. I think they've all either entered or significantly moved up in the top 40 since the project was done.

I'd probably rank them Lundqvist, Luongo, Vasilevsky, Price, Hellebuyck, and Hellebuyck is quickly gaining on Price.

Rinne was better than Helly
Oof. I forgot about Rinne. I'd probably have him neck and neck with Hellebuyck. I like Hellebuyck's peak play better, but Rinne has the longevity.

Reactions: Felidae

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'd scramble the order, but I agree with the five. I think they've all either entered or significantly moved up in the top 40 since the project was done.
Sure that seems reasonable and I'll preference my comments with my usual "I'm less certain about my goalie views than for forwards and dmen"
I'd probably rank them Lundqvist, Luongo, Vasilevsky, Price, Hellebuyck, and Hellebuyck is quickly gaining on Price.

Maybe right now but Vasilsvky is gaining on Lou fast and Hellebuyck might pass Lou too the playoff situation in Winnipeg kind of hurts him though.
Oof. I forgot about Rinne. I'd probably have him neck and neck with Hellebuyck. I like Hellebuyck's peak play better, but Rinne has the longevity.
Rinne was in a similar team situation in that his team never got over that playoff hump.

Reactions: Professor What

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Well, I think his regular seasons have seen him clear Liut, but that's not a bad playoff comp in my opinion. I think you can say that both of them contributed to some early exits.

They did, yes. Liut has a Pearson though, that's a hard award to win especially in the Gretzky era. I don't see Hellebuyck in there at this moment. Goaltenders more than anyone are judged on postseason play. He needs some of that unless he has a career that totally makes up for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad