Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you kidding me? that fruitcake? it would be impossible to stay off social media.

it rules these kids lives.
I probably laughed a lot harder than I should have at this. But what the hell, in my slightly hung over state after last nightmare I can use the laughs for sure. And you're probably right, so there is that as well.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I thought he was noticeably worse than JT and Matthews in creating offense
He was definitely worse. And also facing easier competition while Matthews goes against the big boys.

The point of splitting them up was so that Marner can feast on lower competition. He didn’t even take a bite.

Series is still young though. I have hope he’ll bounce back next game.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He was definitely worse. And also facing easier competition while Matthews goes against the big boys.

The point of splitting them up was so that Marner can feast on lower competition. He didn’t even take a bite.

Series is still young though. I have hope he’ll bounce back next game.
It’s funny the word “feast” always seems to pop up around here. Marner should feast against weaker competition, Liljegren should feast against lower competition, Tavares should feast against lower competition etc. Meanwhile non of our players ever “feast” on our opponents.

Not trying to single your post out or anything, it’s just a word I’ve seen thrown around here quite a bit when this group of players rarely “feast” on others.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
It’s funny the word “feast” always seems to pop up around here. Marner should feast against weaker competition, Liljegren should feast against lower competition, Tavares should feast against lower competition etc. Meanwhile non of our players ever “feast” on our opponents.

Not trying to single your post out or anything, it’s just a word I’ve seen thrown around here quite a bit when this group of players rarely “feast” on others.
Yeah it probably does get used too frequently, especially if we’re applying it to Liljegren. But it should apply to elite players at least. If you’re a top 5/10 paid player in the league playing against other teams second/third lines, you should dominate. If you don’t, you’re overpaid.

Tavares has been bad for so long that I’ve given up hope for him. Marner I still expect a lot from which is why I’m harder on him than Tavares.

Reactions: arso40

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gents after 10+++++ brews best not to drive
. Teke an ubur .. i need a nap b4 jets game tonite .. mitch is a gteat kid .. came from nothing and with hockwy made homsllelf a good life .. one thing i will tell u is kid always tries his best and his heart always in right place .. he is not fully eecovwred from his ankle injury and with his game his edges are so soso impoetant to his mobility .. he has not said anytjing public but he told my son rexently he not having full movemebt .. they r still friends and play fortnite .. u can see he is noyvright just watch game and u will see it .. no excuses but we are in deep sh*t in this series .. it will take a tender miracle to win i think .. glg

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Marner were approached and willing to waive his NMC (please don’t reply to this saying no chance, I get it’s very unlikely but this is a chat board and we all discuss our ideal moves), what teams do you think Marner would actually waive too? For me I think it comes down to either Los Angeles or Salt Lake City.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If Marner were approached and willing to waive his NMC (please don’t reply to this saying no chance, I get it’s very unlikely but this is a chat board and we all discuss our ideal moves), what teams do you think Marner would actually waive too? For me I think it comes down to either Los Angeles or Salt Lake City.
Curious why you think salt lake? I understand LA.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Gents after 10+++++ brews best not to drive
. Teke an ubur .. i need a nap b4 jets game tonite .. mitch is a gteat kid .. came from nothing and with hockwy made homsllelf a good life .. one thing i will tell u is kid always tries his best and his heart always in right place .. he is not fully eecovwred from his ankle injury and with his game his edges are so soso impoetant to his mobility .. he has not said anytjing public but he told my son rexently he not having full movemebt .. they r still friends and play fortnite .. u can see he is noyvright just watch game and u will see it .. no excuses but we are in deep sh*t in this series .. it will take a tender miracle to win i think .. glg
I tend to agree bc he was just not himself in Game 1. Struggling is one thing but he seemed to be afraid of carrying the puck.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In game 1 Marner was the Marner we’ve come to expect and his postgame comments were par for the course.

These playoffs are a referendum on him and he failed the test last night.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m not buying it. He made a real nice 1 on 1 play on D, skating looked fine there. He looked good when he came back at the end of the season.
I see your point too. Just pointing out that, MM was not just bad, he looked scared esp in the 2nd period. He was not buzzing around or even taking chances.

Reactions: arso40

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

Chicago might bite .

Marner and Bedard.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I see your point too. Just pointing out that, MM was not just bad, he looked scared esp in the 2nd period. He was not buzzing around or even taking chances.
He looked engaged early than kind of got roughed up on a hit, can’t remember who, than he kind of disappeared.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What did you make of Mitch Marner’s Game 1?

Keefe
: I thought Mitch made some plays and got the puck to good spots at different times. He got some deliveries for us to get the puck to the net. I thought he was like a lot of our game and a lot of our other guys — at times, he was really good, but he needed to do it more consistently and more frequently.

Whether it is him or the rest of our team, as we have gone through it, our plan and approach do not need to change. We just need to execute it more consistently and trust it. The guys who did had success in the game did that, while the guys who didn’t didn’t have as much [success].

• Haha
Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Think the problem is the Leafs skill level has been as much a curse as a blessing over the years and is rooted in an immaturity. In the back of their minds, they can turn a deficit into a triumph by flipping a switch, a la the Columbus Game 4 comeback.

But in a supposed 50/50 series vs Boston, you don't actually need to "feast" on anybody. You can just win a well played, disciplined game 3-2, with the hope that your skill gives you that natural game breaking advantage when the moment is right. Doesn't seem to be how they're wired. They think they can go on a crazy dash at the end and 'dominate.'

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought he was noticeably worse than JT and Matthews in creating offense

Matthews effort level was higher and he had some close calls creating offense compared to Mitch. JT wasn't really good offensively and was forcing things with the puck, but he won his fair share of FO's and was a willing participant in the physical stuff. Mitch was meh, not sharp, overly fussy and playing at the wrong pace compared to what was out there.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad