Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If it's another poor playoff performance with a first round exit, and he gets re-signed in the summer I think it's doomed. I've been waiting patiently for something to change, but that patience has run out...
Hopefully Pelley is watching and says enough is enough.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Rinse and repeat. He is what he is. How much more does one need to see?

He is built for shinny, similar to Willie and Johnny Hockey.
Turn it around next game ROFL?! I watched that game. They are getting worse. The Marlies could do better. They were never at any point in that game. Bruins in 5 , another wasted season and no picks next year.

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just not good enough. Solid moments here and there, but once again, Marner fails to elevate his game. I love the player but it is very frustrating.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Turn it around next game ROFL?! I watched that game. They are getting worse. The Marlies could do better. They were never at any point in that game. Bruins in 5 , another wasted season and no picks next year.
We get to look forward to next year. Oh wait. See you in 2026 FFS.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Should have been over after the loss to Montreal. No serious winning franchise in ANY major sport has held onto the same 4 or 5 key players without a ring. I challenge anyone to name one in any sport.

This is especially true in the Cap Era. Their salaries, through no fault of their own really; have handcuffed the team.

Unfortunately MLSE is known as a club house. Whats old is new again.
The Jays from 83-90.

The Caps before Ovie finally won.

The Canucks with the Sedins

The Bills all throughout the early 90's

The Utah Jazz with Malone and Stockton

Etc, etc,, etc

The Jets in the 80's when they couldn't get by Cal and Edm

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Thought he was no better or worse than many of them tonight.
Seems weird to put this loss on him.
Except he gets paid way more than most. Relative to expectations, he’s failing more than everyone.

Except Tavares but pretty sure everyone has just given up hope for him at this point. Marner is still at least an elite player when he’s on.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What happened to your like button? Haha maybe contact the mods
I think there's some trigger happiness there but whatever, it is what it is.

The Jays from 83-90.

The Caps before Ovie finally won.

The Canucks with the Sedins

The Bills all throughout the early 90's

The Utah Jazz with Malone and Stockton

Etc, etc,, etc

The Jets in the 80's when they couldn't get by Cal and Edm
The wrong question was asked, should have asked something about underachieving year after year after year, that's something none of teams did that you mentioned. And that's why people are wanting change, it's not that we haven't won the cup, it's that we keep underachieving. I mean no cup is OK, a 1-7 playoff series record is not OK. We should probably have about 7 series wins by now, not 1.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Except he gets paid way more than most. Relative to expectations, he’s failing more than everyone.

Except Tavares but pretty sure everyone has just given up hope for him at this point. Marner is still at least an elite player when he’s on.
Lol do we still think that? It’s been so long since he’s looked on, I forget what that looks like.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He didn’t have a remarkably bad game one in Boston, but just ineffective and frilly enough to remind you of all the other times he got pushed out of a game, how his soft change up little plays didn’t work in a game all about north south speed.

To be fair Marner also catches a lot of flak that should go towards Matthews, and playing with JT will drag anyone down. JT is just an unplayable 4th line grinder out there. But overall there’s just been too much bad history with this player.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think there's some trigger happiness there but whatever, it is what it is.

The wrong question was asked, should have asked something about underachieving year after year after year, that's something none of teams did that you mentioned. And that's why people are wanting change, it's not that we haven't won the cup, it's that we keep underachieving. I mean no cup is OK, a 1-7 playoff series record is not OK. We should probably have about 7 series wins by now, not 1.
More and more it feels like we are the Jets. Good, but not good enough

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
More and more it feels like we are the Jets. Good, but not good enough
I felt so sorry for those Jets teams that were really quite good, but were in the same division as the powerhouse Oilers and very strong Flames. IIRC, they actually managed to win a series every now and then but never more than one so that was as far as they got. I don't think anyone could say they were underachievers though, they were never expected to win.

Reactions: Jojalu

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If it's another poor playoff performance with a first round exit, and he gets re-signed in the summer I think it's doomed. I've been waiting patiently for something to change, but that patience has run out...
Dubas was a big change but it's time for that change to reach the player core. I'm very thankful that Dubas got himself fired by trying to squeeze Shanny out. I appreciate both the attempt to remove Shanny from power and the act of getting himself fired. Both noble efforts.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Marner ixG of 0.03 last night in 20 min played lol. When was the last time you ever saw him the drive the net? Guys make fun of Willy but at least he's not afraid of the slot, or even little Nicky Bobby who goes there all the time. Mitch is scared of going between the dots.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can't wait for mlse to erect a statue in honor of this playoff warrior
There'll be a plaque in front if it signifying the smartest player in NHL history. You have to wait a bit though, they build those statues during the regular season. ;)

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Dubas was a big change but it's time for that change to reach the player core. I'm very thankful that Dubas got himself fired by trying to squeeze Shanny out. I appreciate both the attempt to remove Shanny from power and the act of getting himself fired. Both noble efforts.
Dubas was firing missiles at that press conference. He basically put the core 4 on the trade block and was ready to start fielding offers

Reactions: saffronleaf

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
To be fair Marner also catches a lot of flak that should go towards Matthews, and playing with JT will drag anyone down. JT is just an unplayable 4th line grinder out there. But overall there’s just been too much bad history with this player.
Marner compares himself to and gets paid similar to Matthews and he does not have a Hart trophy, 3 Rocket trophies, two 60 goal seasons, and he's not a 215 lb 6'3" center. I think if anything the amount of criticism is on the light side because he's a hometown kid.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner credited with two shots that game.

1 shot - from the blueline

1 shot - from further than the blueline

11 million and the guy can only get shots from the blueline in a critical statement game.

Last years playoffs, Marner played 11 games, Mcdavid 12 games. Mcdavid had 27 high danger area shots, which is the two areas closest to the goalie. Mitch Marner had 5.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner credited with two shots that game.

1 shot - from the blueline

1 shot - from further than the blueline

11 million and the guy can only get shots from the blueline in a critical statement game.

Last years playoffs, Marner played 11 games, Mcdavid 12 games. Mcdavid had 27 high danger area shots, which is the two areas closest to the goalie. Mitch Marner had 5.
Fire him into the sun along with Keefe and Shanahan.

Reactions: Antropovsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad