Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I’m just trying to keep it real.
Who was that much better? Who was that much worse ?
I'd say based on expectation or even actual need, he was probably the worst.

Matthews at least was generating bits here and there.

Didn't feel like he was engaged in the game at all and when he was he was overtly ineffective.

Certainly not on him alone, and agree it was a team loss, and it probably doesn't matter who was 'the worst', but lets not pretend this team doesn't rely on him being a difference maker.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd say based on expectation or even actual need, he was probably the worst.

Matthews at least was generating bits here and there.

Didn't feel like he was engaged in the game at all and when he was he was overtly ineffective.

Certainly not on him alone, and agree it was a team loss, and it probably doesn't matter who was 'the worst', but lets not pretend this team doesn't rely on him being a difference maker.
Careful now, if you keep it up someone might call you an Eeyore. :laugh::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: wingman75

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I’ll give him credit he gave some hits and took some without creating any chances against. Mitch needs to move the puck quicker. Watch Boston seldom do their guys carry the unless there’s no traffic. If there’s pressure it quick passes and the pucks out of your able to get the goalie moving on the PP and open up chances.
A big difference that I've seen for a long time (and not just with Boston) is that other teams seem to be able to have a man open, and more importantly the puck carrier has an idea where that player will be. A lot of it has to do with having regular lines, which seems to be our root problem.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Jonas should have his writing credentials taken away

Yeah I don't pay much attention to the media guys and as of a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have known Jonas from a hole in the wall but in the last couple of weeks I've noticed him a few times and holy smokes, his takes are just ridiculously bad.
Leafs talk guys said it well. Marner was just as effective as Nylander yesterday.
Ouch.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
A big difference that I've seen for a long time (and not just with Boston) is that other teams seem to be able to have a man open, and more importantly the puck carrier has an idea where that player will be. A lot of it has to do with having regular lines, which seems to be our root problem.
It’s not regular lines it’s a system that says a guy should be there.

Unfortunately when one persons carries the puck a lot it leaves others guessing and trying to get open. If your playing a well structured team like Boston is all lanes are cut off and most likely the puck is going to end up of their stick.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Matthews was our best player yesterday too so it makes no sense. If we need our 11 million dollar winger(soon to be 13 million) to be elevated by someone else, we have bigger problems.
What they should do if Nylander can play, put him on the 2nd line and drop Marner to the 3rd.
There’s the problem! Matthews has shown he can drive a line Marner has not. I want him to prove me wrong and crush it these playoffs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Unfortunately when one persons carries the puck a lot it leaves others guessing and trying to get open. If your playing a well structured team like Boston is all lanes are cut off and most likely the puck is going to end up of their stick.
Quite right - some mix of 'regular linemates/teammates' and 'system/structure', neither of which we've had in years.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Jonas should have his writing credentials taken away

Jonas, take a hike.

Putting Matthews and Marner together is not going to be productive in the long run because the book is out on that pair.

The only thing you might want to do is separate Tavares from Marner because Tavares 5 on 5 will simply turn it into a muck fest, so you might as well separate him from anyone else you're trying to get some offense out of. And FFS, take JT off the PP as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Marner tends to carry the puck for too long looking for low percentage plays, lacks explosive speed to escape situations where he's basically been isolated and boxed out. As a fan watching it looks chaotic and unpredictable, like he's looking for the fine line separating genius from idiocy.

He was on the PP on the LD spot, and Matthews loading up on the RD on the 4 on 3. Instead of passing it quickly for a one time opportunity from a 70 goal guy, he walked to the center of the ice, rotating Matthews away from the one time shot, then fluttered a wrister into traffic. Like of all the options, was a wrist shot/tip the best option on a 4 on 3?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Matthews had 5 shots (all at 5vs5), 2 from high danger, three from medium danger.

Marner 2 shots, one from long distance and the other one not even ranked because it was further than the blueline.

... if they both continue like this Matthews will make an impact and Marner won't.

No Matthews wasn't as bad as Marner last night.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews had 5 shots, 2 from high danger, three from medium danger.

Marner 2 shots, one from long distance and the other one not even ranked because it was further than the blueline.

... if they both continue like this Matthews will make an impact and Marner won't.

No Matthews wasn't as bad as Marner last night.

Matthews was just okay for his standards but Marner was flat out invisible and nearly useless last night. Still no way he is 100% healthy after that sprain

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Marner tends to carry the puck for too long looking for low percentage plays, lacks explosive speed to escape situations where he's basically been isolated and boxed out. As a fan watching it looks chaotic and unpredictable, like he's looking for the fine line separating genius from idiocy.

He was on the PP on the LD spot, and Matthews loading up on the RD on the 4 on 3. Instead of passing it quickly for a one time opportunity from a 70 goal guy, he walked to the center of the ice, rotating Matthews away from the one time shot, then fluttered a wrister into traffic. Like of all the options, was a wrist shot/tip the best option on a 4 on 3?
All Carlo had to do on the 4 on 3 was follow Mitch and keep that stick just in front of him and took away everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad