Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The mistake was giving William Nylander $11.5 million.
Yea…Marner hasn’t shown up to 50% of playoff games because….we paid nylander?

Marner got outshined by every single fourth line today. He’s been outshined by mediocre third liners in the past. He’s been outshined by that “mistake” in the past in the playoffs

The mistake was banking on Marner to perform like a high end winger come playoffs time. He’s a fragile soft excuse of a winger

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Thought he was no better or worse than many of them tonight.
Seems weird to put this loss on him.
Matthews has gotten just as much of the blame as he has if not more, Tavares ditto

And he was much much worse than the others. He went Caspar the ghost style of doing nothing

It’s always weird finding marner fans gushing over games where he’s good but avoiding any talks of him being bad or just straight up deflecting

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews has gotten just as much of the blame as he has if not more, Tavares ditto

And he was much much worse than the others. He went Caspar the ghost style of doing nothing

It’s always weird finding marner fans gushing over games where he’s good but avoiding any talks of him being bad or just straight up deflecting
I’m just trying to keep it real.
Who was that much better? Who was that much worse ?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Marner isn’t a player you win with, and to pay him $12m for what he brings would be the height of stupidity.

Yes he has a NMC.

You tell him he won’t be resigned and he can either help with a trade, allowing him to have a say in his destination and negotiate an extension prior to the trade.
…… or he spends the season a lame duck and he can spend the season answering uncomfortable questions about why he hasn’t been extended, knowing that he won’t be.

Pretty sure that’s an easy decision for Mitchy Mitch and Papa Paul.

Should have happened this Summer but it is undeniable that he isn’t what we need and we desperately need to reallocate that money to fill glaring holes in net, at RHD and at 2C.

Let Dubas blow his wad on a reunion trade and then give Snizz Mitch that $13m that he’s dying to give him…..

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
They were that much better?
I’m sure we all watched the same game.
We didn't look good as a collective but marner should have been a lot better the cores held to a higher standard and he didn't bring it I didn't even see him creating any opportunity to score other than the play got a power play on

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thought he was no better or worse than many of them tonight.
Seems weird to put this loss on him.
He's a big part of a problem... on a team with three 11 million Forwards (since 2020), he's been the most not worthy of 11 million. On a team with not enough money put on defense and goalies. Nobody ever puts an entire loss on him. He is emotionally unstable, and unable to raise his game in important games, but wears an A.

Just Marner fans attacking the straw man.

A straw man fallacy (sometimes written as strawman) is the informal fallacy of refuting an argument different from the one actually under discussion, while not recognizing or acknowledging the distinction.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I’ll give him credit he gave some hits and took some without creating any chances against. Mitch needs to move the puck quicker. Watch Boston seldom do their guys carry the unless there’s no traffic. If there’s pressure it quick passes and the pucks out of your able to get the goalie moving on the PP and open up chances.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why is Marner the subject of all frustration when it comes to this team? That’s the only part I don’t get. If we lose people flood this thread to blame him alone. JT was invisible all night and couldn’t bury on a PP where they fed him the puck. Matthews, a 69 goal scorer can’t score in playoffs whats new? Marner same old perimeter fly by shit. It’s not just Marner, it’s all of them. Collectively this group together just doesn’t work. They should have broke it up after MTL.
I've seen people say this countless times but I don't understand why because it's simply not true. Go have a look at the Matthews thread for starters and then tell us nobody else is getting blamed.

Anyhow, not sure why these guys stopped playing hockey. 22 goals allowed last 4 games of the season, I was hoping they could flip the switch and get it together for last night but no. Trying to stay positive but it ain't easy boy, wondering if we see Woll tomorrow night.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
They all choked, even Reilly.
What worries me is the fact that it seemed like MM was playing scare esp in the 2nd period.
i agree .its like he is not really recovered from his injury .as for nylander ,i hope he didnt play thru an injury ,chasing his 100 points
but the preperation games ,were spent chasing mathews 70th goal ,and it showed

I've seen people say this countless times but I don't understand why because it's simply not true. Go have a look at the Matthews thread for starters and then tell us nobody else is getting blamed.

Anyhow, not sure why these guys stopped playing hockey. 22 goals allowed last 4 games of the season, I was hoping they could flip the switch and get it together for last night but no. Trying to stay positive but it ain't easy boy, wondering if we see Woll tomorrow night.
marner and tavaras looked slow .1 is slow ,the other should be playing world class ,

Marner isn’t a player you win with, and to pay him $12m for what he brings would be the height of stupidity.

Yes he has a NMC.

You tell him he won’t be resigned and he can either help with a trade, allowing him to have a say in his destination and negotiate an extension prior to the trade.
…… or he spends the season a lame duck and he can spend the season answering uncomfortable questions about why he hasn’t been extended, knowing that he won’t be.

Pretty sure that’s an easy decision for Mitchy Mitch and Papa Paul.

Should have happened this Summer but it is undeniable that he isn’t what we need and we desperately need to reallocate that money to fill glaring holes in net, at RHD and at 2C.

Let Dubas blow his wad on a reunion trade and then give Snizz Mitch that $13m that he’s dying to give him…..

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is nothing mitch can do right now except play a great pk and pp for us in both ends of ice .. keefer needs to help shelter him as best he can .. mitch is a great kid and he does same things every game whether pre season or playoffs .. bottom line if you need to blame someone blame his dad paul as i told him for years we had to change mitchs skating stride so he could keep up in fast games .. although i think he is still hurt from his ankle sprain and it is affecting his edges quite a bit which further affects his game which is mostly edges

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My least favorite leaf. I really hope they don’t pay him 13m
I wouldn't worry too much about that, I'm almost certain he'll come in somewhere between 12.5 and 12.9. The term will be whatever he wants of course and the NMC is a given.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s pretty common that the guys getting paid the most are going to shoulder the blame when things go south. He looked engaged early, than kind of faded away as the game went on. Hopefully they can turn it around next game

Yep.

I also wouldn't say he had a bad game either.
He didn't have a lot of shots, but I haven't looked at any of his underlying numbers though.

The bigger issue is I barely noticed him for big chunks of the game. If the Leafs are to win this series we need the big guys to be absolutely dominant out there, to take over the ice; playing a decent but quite game isn't enough.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
His contract right now is absurd. An increase to mid to high 12s will bury this team for the duration of the contract. This is beyond ridiculous. Are primary and secondary assists equal to goals? We can find a 30 goal scorer elsewhere.

If we are able to trade him this summer, we'd need to retain for the final year. I can't begin to imagine paying him as if he's the same or greater than MacKinnon.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep.

I also wouldn't say he had a bad game either.
He didn't have a lot of shots, but I haven't looked at any of his underlying numbers though.

The bigger issue is I barely noticed him for big chunks of the game. If the Leafs are to win this series we need the big guys to be absolutely dominant out there, to take over the ice; playing a decent but quite game isn't enough.
Agree completely. If I had a like button ...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It’s pretty common that the guys getting paid the most are going to shoulder the blame when things go south. He looked engaged early, than kind of faded away as the game went on. Hopefully they can turn it around next game
Rinse and repeat. He is what he is. How much more does one need to see?

He is built for shinny, similar to Willie and Johnny Hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad