• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Doesnt he have a NMC?
When the thread was opened, in May, he didn't have an NMC - it didn't kick in until July 1.

Since the NMC went into effect, the thread has pretty much morphed into a "what's he worth" vs "what's his next contract going to be" debate.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
When the thread was opened, in May, he didn't have an NMC - it didn't kick in until July 1.

Since the NMC went into effect, the thread has pretty much morphed into a "what's he worth" vs "what's his next contract going to be" debate.

True story. Now that he is un-tradeable the question remains:

Mitch Money- the second-highest AAV in NHL right next to Matthews or not?

horner

May 22, 2007
There's an old video of london Against sarnia brawl.
Marner was right in the thick of it.
It's on the London Knights site on hfboards .
That's the marner I remember thinking to myself Gilmour.

The refs were holding him back from getting involved a second time.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Leafs should just trade Marner before he holds out for Matthews money again.

It's comment like this: "it's definitely a team sport, you need everyone out there, and we all know that we need to be better" and this: "r team. It's a full team effort ... we know we all gotta be better." that make me think the Leafs would be better off without this unaccountable loser anyway.

It's so hard to believe anyone making that kind of money to be a leader would throw his teammates under the bus like that. Marner continues to insist everyone shoulders the blame equally when they lose. Even though the core four suck up the vast majority of the money, ice time, and power play opportunity.

With elite money comes elite responsibility.

Marner burdened himself with that contract. It's his cross to bear. If he can't own up to everything that goes along with it then why is he even on the team?

A lack of accountability is a damn good reason to trade this guy.
The quotes were: "At the same time, it's definitely a team sport, you need everyone out there, and we all know that we need to be better to achieve our ultimate goals. So there's nothing you can really do about it other than just kind of ignore the outside noise and know that everyone in that locker room appreciates each other." And: “It meant a lot to all of us to come in and do that. It's not just four guys on our team. It's a full team effort every single night. That's really what we know. I mean, that’s not the narrative a lot of times, but we know we all gotta be better. And that's why we're excited to get the season going.” Though you did add the ellipsis. You made it appear, intentionally or not that Marner threw his team mates under the bus.

True story. Now that he is un-tradeable the question remains:

Mitch Money- the second-highest AAV in NHL right next to Matthews or not?
What is Mitch Money's AAV?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
There's an old video of london Against sarnia brawl.
Marner was right in the thick of it.
It's on the London Knights site on hfboards .
That's the marner I remember thinking to myself Gilmour.

The refs were holding him back from getting involved a second time.
He's kept his 17 year old body

Reactions: 63 others

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The quotes were: "At the same time, it's definitely a team sport, you need everyone out there, and we all know that we need to be better to achieve our ultimate goals. So there's nothing you can really do about it other than just kind of ignore the outside noise and know that everyone in that locker room appreciates each other." And: “It meant a lot to all of us to come in and do that. It's not just four guys on our team. It's a full team effort every single night. That's really what we know. I mean, that’s not the narrative a lot of times, but we know we all gotta be better. And that's why we're excited to get the season going.” Though you did add the ellipsis. You made it appear, intentionally or not that Marner threw his team mates under the bus.

What is Mitch Money's AAV?

I included the full quotes originally, but it made my comment too long and unwieldy, so I shortened them.

That's why it says edited in the bottom right corner of the comment.

That's also why the links were provided. So you can read the entire articles and the quotes and make judgement yourself. I don't think anything added by expanding the quotes helps his cause.

Incidentally, I came across those quotes when I was looking for any comments by Marner where he takes personal responsibility for his own play, after I read this article.

I was looking for something where Marner says "I need to be better". Or "My play needs to be better". Anything along those lines.

I didn't find anything.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I included the full quotes originally, but it made my comment too long and unwieldy, so I shortened them.

That's also why the links were provided. So you can read the entire articles and the quotes and make judgement yourself. I don't think anything added by expanding the quotes helps his cause.

Incidentally, I came across those quotes when I was looking for any comments by Marner where he takes personal responsibility for his own play, after I read this article.

I was looking for something where Marner says "I need to be better". Or "My play needs to be better". Anything along those lines.

I didn't find anything.
I really don't want to be a pendant, I am not qualified to be one, but in this case something is not being communicated. We is the first person plural. It includes I and anyone else. In football or basketball, sports that put value on individual players, "I" would be the most important pronoun but in hockey "we" is the quintessential pronoun.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I really don't want to be a pendant, I am not qualified to be one, but in this case something is not being communicated. We is the first person plural. It includes I and anyone else. In football or basketball, sports that put value on individual players, "I" would be the most important pronoun but in hockey "we" is the quintessential pronoun.

If you want to argue semantics, then sure, Marner included himself in his group assesment that the entire team needed to be better.

But still nothing that takes ownership of his own personal on ice failings. Marner and his three buddies suck up most of the cap space, ice time, and power play opportunity. They should be taking personal ownership for the on ice results instead of even attempting to shift any blame onto the lower level grunts.

If anything I found that Marner often comes across as antagonist and overly defensive in his interviews as opposed to accepting personal responsibility for his role in the team's on ice failings.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you want to argue semantics, then sure, Marner included himself in his group assesment that the entire team needed to be better.

But still nothing that takes ownership of his own personal on ice failings. Marner and his three buddies suck up most of the cap space, ice time, and power play opportunity. They should be taking personal ownership for the on ice results instead of even attempting to shift any blame onto the lower level grunts.

If anything I found that Marner often comes across as antagonist and overly defensive in his interviews as opposed to accepting personal responsibility for his role in the team's on ice failings.
I don't want to argue semantics.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Lol
You seem put off by him not caring what the media thinks. Apparently you must fancy yourself as "media".

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

I didn't find anything.
My feeling all along has been that he is not very good at owning his mistakes. Easy offended etc. For me the mental side is his biggest enemy. Take your part of the blame own it and say FO to the world with your on ice performance. Its hard and scary but the right thing to do if he wants to move forward.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
My feeling all along has been that he is not very good at owning his mistakes. Easy offended etc. For me the mental side is his biggest enemy. Take your part of the blame own it and say FO to the world with your on ice performance. Its hard and scary but the right thing to do if he wants to move forward.

This article from Luke Fox, of all people, even mentions the same lack of accountability at the top of the team:

Maple Leafs stars fall silent with season on brink

Not one of Tavares, Matthews or Marner said anything to the effect of “I need to play better”
in that sullen visitors’ room after Game 3.

Keefe refuses to point a finger at the top of his lineup.

“It’s a team game, and we need everybody to find a way to break through here,” the coach said.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This article from Luke Fox, of all people, even mentions the same lack of accountability at the top of the team:

Not one of Tavares, Matthews or Marner said anything to the effect of “I need to play better”

“It’s a team game, and we need everybody to find a way to break through here,” the coach said.
If the players say " We need to be better" It feels a lot better when they just add " Me included". Two words, thats all.

Keefe should be able to demand more at times. Not throw players under the bus, but demand more.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Keefe makes sense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If the players say " We need to be better" It feels a lot better when they just add " Me included". Two words, thats all.

Keefe should be able to demand more at times. Not throw players under the bus, but demand more.
After game 3 in Florida, the two words Marner should have added were "especially me".

Reactions: ZEBROA and Arzak

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

“It’s a team game, and we need everybody to find a way to break through here,” (Keefe)

I don't blame Keefe for not calling out the studs. Keefe called them out more than once to start the year. But was, once again, forced to walk back his, entirely valid, criticisms.

So to find him toeing the company line here isn't surprising.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They know they need to be better, it goes without saying.
Not every word needs to be analyzed to death or dumb down enough so everyone can understand.

Reactions: francis246

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
They know they need to be better, it goes without saying.
Not every word needs to be analyzed to death or dumb down enough so everyone can understand.
Words matter. I belive in that owning your own crap makes you grow, and not owning it fully do not. And owning it give the haters less to talk about. If Marner said "i played like crap, i need to be better" once he would grow as a player and toward the fans. No big ask.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Words matter. I belive in that owning your own crap makes you grow, and not owning it fully do not. And owning it give the haters less to talk about. If Marner said "i played like crap, i need to be better" once he would grow as a player and toward the fans. No big ask.
Because it's not announced doesn't mean he isn't owning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad