Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Paying players massive front loaded signing bonuses also should be a bargaining chip - they want it and virtually no other teams are in a position to give it.

Yet we give the massive front loaded signing bonuses and end up with VERY player friendly deals - very high cap hits, without the commitment of max term.

Seems like Dubas' negotiating strategy was to just give them whatever they wanted and sign.

Thanks for the response.

They all got everything they wanted the last time and expect to do so again this time. It will be the same thing all over. Nylander will stab the knife deep in the back first.

Then Marner will come along and twist it.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs be interested. Probably summer of '25 when he hits UFA though. We have around 26 million in caproom that summer. Only 8 million this summer, 16 million next summer.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We locked Nylander trade thread because he got full NMC unlike Mitch Marner, wait...

Nylander for Swaymen

edit: Lock the appreciation thread until there's a Cup to be grateful for.

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Here's a great article, where the author put serious work into breaking down Tavares 2019 season with Marner. Recall the narrative by some, has been that Marner made Tavares better.... This author break down of each and every goal they scored together indicates Marner was benefitting from Tavares complete game more than the other way around. The authors opinion on many were that many of the goals were a result of the elite abilities of Tavares, that few other players possess.

In fact the author posts advanced stats showing how Marners stats without Tavares we're much worse.

Also, note that JFresh stats had ones indicated Marner was worth about 9.33 million.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Mitch Marner has a No Movement Clause, that the Leafs can ask him to waive. That's it. That's all.

I can see him leaving his hometown, his celebrity status, front-loaded contract, and overpayment the rest of the league would not stomach if we ask nicely!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I can see him leaving his hometown, his celebrity status, front-loaded contract, and overpayment the rest of the league would not stomach if we ask nicely!

At this rate he’s heading towards a reality where he won’t be able to come home to visit his hometown for the rest of his life without getting garbage thrown at him, be it from disgruntled fans or the ever growing insane population throwing garbage at random.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Come on guys. Be nice to @cannucky

He's probably either a casual fan or just started watching hockey this year. Lol.
60 years old played in the East end of T.O. where I grew up buddy , alive for the last 2 cups and was in the womb for another , how about yourself there keyboard king , XBox much ? You still need to win games to get to games 5, 6, and 7 and somebody has to put up points to get you those wins . It never ceases to amaze me how the swallowers ignore the basic stats and make up these obscure stat scenarios that fit their narrative . Now go cry to the mods and I'll take yet another sussy .

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
60 years old played in the East end of T.O. where I grew up buddy , alive for the last 2 cups and was in the womb for another , how about yourself there keyboard king , XBox much ? You still need to win games to get to games 5, 6, and 7 and somebody has to put up points to get you those wins . It never ceases to amaze me how the swallowers ignore the basic stats and make up these obscure stat scenarios that fit their narrative . Now go cry to the mods and I'll take yet another sussy .
Lol. You really should have gone with being a hockey watching and playing rookie. It would have been less embarrassing for you.

Have you read the responses to your previous response to me? You're getting ratio'd pretty badly my friend.

And why would I cry to the mods after your ridiculous take in response to my post? You're seriously telling me that I'm cherry-picking games that literally make or break a season from a guy who's been absolutely putrid in those games and yet he is demanding to be paid like a player who has won multiple Stanley Cups.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We locked Nylander trade thread because he got full NMC unlike Mitch Marner, wait...

Nylander for Swaymen

edit: Lock the appreciation thread until there's a Cup to be grateful for.

I do like it when appreciation threads are reserved for those who leave or retire. Right now it seems like pandering to a team full of players that are fragile and need constant positive feedback. As if they read this anyways.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
At this rate he’s heading towards a reality where he won’t be able to come home to visit his hometown for the rest of his life without getting garbage thrown at him, be it from disgruntled fans or the ever growing insane population throwing garbage at random.
come home to visit the city he lives in

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Sami Salo visited the crappy tire I worked at in high school and within a minute he was being followed around by hoards of customers and members of staff.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

I slept on it but still laughing at "XBox much?" :DD:DD, that's how you diss someone 1980s' style !

Well done Sir.

Reactions: Racer88

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Here's a great article, where the author put serious work into breaking down Tavares 2019 season with Marner. Recall the narrative by some, has been that Marner made Tavares better.... This author break down of each and every goal they scored together indicates Marner was benefitting from Tavares complete game more than the other way around. The authors opinion on many were that many of the goals were a result of the elite abilities of Tavares, that few other players possess.

In fact the author posts advanced stats showing how Marners stats without Tavares we're much worse.

interesting article, I agree with the author's assessment of Marner (and JT) as 'phenomenal hockey players'

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
interesting article, I agree with the author's assessment of Marner (and JT) as 'phenomenal hockey players'

That's not the question the author's trying to answer.

You agree with something no one ever questioned. Nice take.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
That's not the question the author's trying to answer.

You agree with something no one ever questioned. Nice take.
right the question the author tries to answer is whether it's true the many or the majority of JT's goals that year were tap-ins that resulted from Marner's exceptional playmaking ability. It is a response to what the author saw as a too-common argument among haters and losers that JT was an interchangeable or insignificant part in many or most of his goals, because Marner was doing the important skill work. He concludes that most were not tap-ins and even for those that were you must give credit to JT for making himself available in the slot as a target etc.

plenty of people in this here thread have made the same argument re: Marner's playoff production, that any random player in the league could have done the same because they were simple passes or shots from distance. you, for example, said "There is no reason to think any random player slotted into the same situation would perform worse." I am fairly certain that Leafs fan and writer Tyler Horsfall would on assessment of the evidence disagree with this as well but who knows

Last edited:
Reactions: Antropovsky

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Mostly thanks to his teammates. He relies on his teammates to retrieve the puck for him, he relies on his teammates to create space for him, and he relies on others to screen the goalie for him. Things he doesn't himself do for his linemates. His role is basically chase the puck when it's moving and try to make passes.

Break down anyone of his points and they are a result of excellent plays by teammates, or he's on the pp.

another contribution to one of those "conversations back and forth between fans over who carries who." it is in fact to these conversations that author Tyler Horsefall addresses his post The Million Dollar Mystery of Money Mitch and John Taps-vares, on Medium.com (he concludes that "the answer is more they both propel each other")

Last edited:
Reactions: Antropovsky

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Also, note that JFresh stats had ones indicated Marner was worth about 9.33 million.

Thats just losing all credibility with marner 3 star defensivly and only one star on pk when he easily best defensive foward in leafs team... How this team was 6th in expected goal last 3 season and 12 th on pk.

Certainly not because leafs was playing with Holl in their top shutdown pairing.

..if its it would be true, leafs should be bottom 10 of the league defensivly and on PK. Not amount best defenaive team

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Thats just losing all credibility with marner 3 star defensivly and only one star on pk when he easily best defensive foward in leafs team...
For those that didn't notice, the bad article that the individual incorrectly paraphrased the conclusion of was from 4 years ago, and the player card (that actually took market value from an outdated and problematic external model) was from over 3 years ago after his worst season of the last half-decade (the season where he had a high ankle sprain). There's a reason that something more recent wasn't chosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad