Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Has anybody in this thread actually compared his playoff production to the Leafs you want to keep me instead of Mitchy ? Spoiler alert he has the highest points per game of any of the big four , Nylander , Mathew and Marner have all played 50 playoff games , all together against the same opponents , Tavares as a Leaf has the lowest production of the four and Mitch is leading the way so maybe do your homework before arguing production numbers .
What are his playoff numbers in games 4 to 7? Look that up n and you’ll see why Mitch “Leading the way” is scarier then any horror or thriller movie ever produced.

Reactions: saffronleaf

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Bump the thread when Marner out produces the entire league in the playoffs en route to a Stanley Cup championship.

Until then, or at the very least until Marner significantly closes the gap when it comes to playoff production, the gap remains large.
What out producing his two higher payed team mates isn't good enough for ya ?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
What are his playoff numbers in games 4 to 7? Look that up n and you’ll see why Mitch “Leading the way” is scarier then any horror or thriller movie ever produced.
Holy cherry picking batman , did you include the games his girl gave him a happy ending helping hand ? You do know somebody has to put up points to get you to those games 4-7 don't you ? Give it a rest you have dogged the key since day one and it kills you to see him out producing your announced one doesn't it?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Holy cherry picking batman , did you include the games his girl gave him a happy ending helping hand ? You do know somebody has to put up points to get you to those games 4-7 don't you ? Give it a rest you have dogged the key since day one and it kills you to see him out producing your announced one doesn't it?
........ So in other words you looked up his numbers in those games and they weren't good and then you realized it doesn’t fit your narrative, so, now you’re using the “cherry picking“ out as an excuse.

BTW, you do realize that those certain number of games I mentioned are the games that matter the most and are the most crucial in a playoff series don‘t you?

So if his numbers overall are a PPG in the playoffs but he does absolutely f*** all in games that matter, does his PPG average in the playoffs actually mean anything???

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
…Did I just hear people saying Mitch ‘led the way?’

Yeah, by putting up huge numbers in round 1 games 1-3 then Caspering until they got speedbagged by Florida.

At least 34 showed up big in the final games against Tampa and Willy played well vs Florida.

But this thread is moot. It’s August 4th and he’s not getting traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
…Did I just hear people saying Mitch ‘led the way?’

Yeah, by putting up huge numbers in round 1 games 1-3 then Caspering until they got speedbagged by Florida.

At least 34 showed up big in the final games against Tampa and Willy played well vs Florida.

But this thread is moot. It’s August 4th and he’s not getting traded.
So all 3 have shown up at various times.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
........ So in other words you looked up his numbers in those games and they weren't good and then you realized it doesn’t fit your narrative, so, now you’re using the “cherry picking“ out as an excuse.

BTW, you do realize that those certain number of games I mentioned are the games that matter the most and are the most crucial in a playoff series don‘t you?

So if his numbers overall are a PPG in the playoffs but he does absolutely f*** all in games that matter, does his PPG average in the playoffs actually mean anything???
This reminds me of discussion I was having with someone who's now on my ignore list, I was commenting on how badly the team has performed in playoff game 7's.

His response - why are you cherry picking game 7's?

You can't make this shit up. :laugh::laugh:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yup, let’s continue to blame the goalie for Matthews’ and Marner’s lack of killer instinct
The issue is that people are blaming a "lack of killer instinct" for what is pretty obviously something else.
You have two greedy all-about-themselves type of players combined with ownership who is unwilling to draw a line in the sand regarding keeping players’ salaries in line with team build, and themselves being starstruck with these two.
No we don't. We have two of the best players in the world, who are very committed to the team and to winning, combined with an ownership that thankfully recognizes their value and impact better than some of their fans.
Please give me some names of players who wanted all they could get, or as you like to say “deserved”, where it ended up with the team having success (meaning, of course, in the playoffs!).
Every team that has had success has paid their players what they deserved when they signed, just like us.
Interesting note, Vegas (1) and Florida (2) (Cup winner and Cup runner up), and Carolina (0) and Dallas (0) (Conference finalists), were the only teams with the fewest players making at least $10 million.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but both Vegas and Florida had 10m players. In fact, Florida had two, and a bunch of dead cap space. Both also had additional 9.5m players. The 10m number is arbitrary, and it's only the past few years where playoffs teams have even had 10m players, so of course it wasn't abundant on winners before.
And don’t forget what I said, if they make it to the Cup finals by having three forwards making basically $11 million, then you and ownership are truly wise people. Of course, as the cap continues to increase, eventually there will be teams with at least two, if not three, players making at least $10 million. That will not count, obviously, and of course you would have been quick to say how smart you are when that eventually does occur. If, on the other hand, they never do, your opinion will never change. Some people can admit when they’re wrong, but unfortunately, some never can!
I can admit when I'm wrong perfectly fine, but there's absolutely nothing to indicate that I'm wrong. And whether or not our team experiences an outcome that is inherently incredibly rare for any configuration, before the configuration becomes more common, is a really arbitrary and ineffective way to determine whether the configuration is viable.
Show me a positively-skewed message board on the day the Leafs season ended
That's kind of the point. It's not representative of the fanbase's true position. It's based on angry, reactionary feelings in a heated moment.
And many other boards move on and take more justified perspectives for the other 364 days.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, why would use to some arbitrary thing like games #4, #5, #6 ,#7.

Games #4 and #5 have the possibility of being elimination games.
Games #6 and #7 are always elimination games.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Interesting that stats from 2018 appear to show that, Bozak and JvR had more success with Brown than Marner. While Marleau and Kadri definitely improved by having Marner over Komarov:

2017/2018
Jvr Bozak Marner
345 mins 13 gf 14 ga
Gf per/60 2.26
Ga per/60 2.43

Jvr Bozak Brown
422 mins 20 goals 12 ga
Gf per/60: 2.84
Ga per/60: 1.71

Marleau Kadri Marner:
363 Mins 19 goals 12 ga
Gf per/60: 3.13
Ga per/60: 1.98

Marleau Kadri Komarov
Mins 369 goals 11 ga 13
Gf per/60: 1.79
Gf per/60: 2.11

Looking at stats from this past season, Bunting and Matthews seemed to perform much better with Nylander as their winger rather than Marner:

2022/2023
Bunting Matthews Nylander
Mins 383 goals 30 ga 10
Gf per/60: 4.69
Gf per/60: 1.56

Bunting Matthews Marner
Mins 282 goals 16 ga 10
Gf per/60: 3.14
Gf per/60: 2.12

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Looking at stats from this past season, Bunting and Matthews seemed to perform much better with Nylander as their winger rather than Marner:

2022/2023
Bunting Matthews Nylander
Mins 383 goals 30 ga 10
Gf per/60: 4.69
Gf per/60: 1.56

Bunting Matthews Marner
Mins 282 goals 16 ga 10
Gf per/60: 3.14
Gf per/60: 2.12

Interesting, as when you look at it, the xG% favours the Marner line.. but only slightly. You'd have to dig deeper into that, to see why the variance... was it poorer shooting by Matthews or Bunting, or was it due to better shooting of Nylander vs. Marner?

Also, BMM had an expected goals against of 2.48, while BMN had a much poorer xGA of 3.08/60... but the actual results were the opposite... BMN actual were 1.56 to BMM of 2.12.... Was the xGA variance of 3.08 vs. actual 1.56 per 60 attributable to something BMN did on the ice, or was it just luck that the goalie stopped more chances with them on the ice?

I think before declaring one better than the other, you'd have to answer the why's here... and that something we don't have access to.

-----------------------------

Noting though, it doesn't matter whether you look at xGA/xGF, or GA/GF, results for Bunting - Tavares - Marner, or Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner, favour quite convincingly over Bunting - Tavares - Nylander or Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander

Even if you go with the xG differential, instead of actual with Matthews... the better NET results are having Nylander with Matthews, and Marner with Tavares...

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
This reminds me of discussion I was having with someone who's now on my ignore list, I was commenting on how badly the team has performed in playoff game 7's.

Those kind of people are basically why the ignore list was created.

If no one takes their bait, everyone else wins.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner is under the radar right now witb Nylander and Matthews taking turns to kill the team

Wonder if he signs a fair deal this time around or he joins those two.

If they both leave (a result that should get Shanahan banned from toronto) well he does'nt even need an extension. We can move him or let him play his past year out as we begin a lengthy rebuild after a near decade of failure with this core

If those two sign, hopefully to fair deals, hope marner doesnt go chasing an insane overpayment again

He should get 11M max on a 8 year deal

Reactions: Voodoo Child

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

He got 3 arbitrary assists in game 1, we all knew his ppg will be fine.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah criticizing how a player plays in the game that literally decides the season.

Dang you gary you cherry picker!

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah criticizing how a player plays in the game that literally decides the season.

Not just any player either but a guy that demanded he be paid 11 million AAV.

Laughable that people give this guy a pass.

His douchebaggery blaming the fans and media for him being a loser when it counts just makes you dislike him even more.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That's kind of the point. It's not representative of the fanbase's true position. It's based on angry, reactionary feelings in a heated moment.
And many other boards move on and take more justified perspectives for the other 364 days.
Reactionary? He's been bad in 4 straight postseasons lol. He hasn't had a good postseason since signing his ridiculous contract.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

His douchebaggery blaming the fans and media for him being a loser when it counts just makes you dislike him even more.
This.... But let's not leave out in his "letter to Fans" that he posted after signing his outrageous contract... In the letter, he indicated that we fans have high expectations and "he wouldn't have it any other way".

Since though... All he's done is complain about it.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
This.... But let's not leave out in his "letter to Fans" that he posted after signing his outrageous contract... In the letter, he indicated that we fans have high expectations and "he wouldn't have it any other way".

Since though... All he's done is complain about it.

Look, I’m not gonna sit here and pretend to be some kind of winner compared to Mitch.

I play house league and I feel the pressure when I screw up from some of my more vocal teammates. I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like to play for this team. Especially growing up being a fan of this team. It must be a crushing weight of expectation and anxiety I imagine. I can definitely sympathize.

That said, if you want to get paid like you’re the best in the league you damn well better show up when all the chips are on the line.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
[

Marner doesn't admit mistakes ever...the opposing goalie always became a Greek god and "all the chances" just didn't go in. And social media and journalists are the devil!

Oreilly.... On the other hand, following the Florida series said to multiple media outlets he could've been better, the team coulve been more prepared, the team could've made changes.

Anyone see the difference?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

Come on guys. Be nice to @cannucky

He's probably either a casual fan or just started watching hockey this year. Lol.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
All animals are created equal.

But some are more equal than others.

It's clear who the 1% of the 1% are on this team. The entitled few. Those who take what they want.

Never doing the team any favours in return.

The Leafs really blew it giving this guy a NMC. Max money on a contract not even max term. A NMC is supposed to be a bargaining chip to get a better deal.

It's not a mandatory thing just because a player is eligible.

Now the Leafs have hooped themselves. They're stuck with this loser. That's too bad because trading Marner makes a lot of sense.

The team can't afford his next contract.

Marner is gonna price himself off the roster. A cap casualty of his own making. I don't even think the majority of fans would care if Marner were traded for just that reason.

The creatures looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again.

But it was impossible to say which was which.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Leafs really blew it giving this guy a NMC. Max money on a contract not even max term. A NMC is supposed to be a bargaining chip to get a better deal.

Paying players massive front loaded signing bonuses also should be a bargaining chip - they want it and virtually no other teams are in a position to give it.

Yet we give the massive front loaded signing bonuses and end up with VERY player friendly deals - very high cap hits, without the commitment of max term.

Seems like Dubas' negotiating strategy was to just give them whatever they wanted and sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad